Breadfruit - Kadachakka - Cheemachakka Nutrition and Recipes
What is Kadachakka or Breadfruit?
Kadachakka (Breadfruit) is a delicious vegetable with nutritional value. Breadfruit tree, native to the Malay Peninsula and western Pacific islands, grows to a height of 20 m. It is a highly sought after fruit due to its medicinal properties.
It is high in energy from carbohydrates, low in fat, It is gluten free, dense with protein, and rich in vitamin B and fiber. Breadfruit contains roughly 25% carbohydrates and 70% water. In 100 grams of Breadfruit contains 103 Calories.
Recent Popularity of Breadfruit
Breadfruit is rich in riboflavin, iron, niacin, thiamin, iron and phosphorus. It also contains minerals like potassium, copper, iron, magnesium, calcium, zinc, manganese, selenium and phosphorus. One medium size breadfruit (kadchakka) provides 29 mg of vitamin, amounting to 48% of the recommended daily allowance.Of recent, the popularity of Breadfruit is grown tremendously. The Daily Mail calls breadfruit “a wonder food”; the Huffington Post calls it “a wonder food”; and the New Scientist calls it “a wonder food.” Times call it one of the three superfood, the other two being the Moringa oleifera and the Prickly Pear Cactus. The New Zealand Herald asked in a recent news headline, “Is this the new wonder food?”
Health Benefits of Breadfruit - Kadachakka
- High in Potassium - Breadfruit is a tropical fruit and is an excellent source of potassium. It has more potassium than in 10 bananas for maintaining a good health..
- Vitamin C - It has more vitamin C than in banana and jackfruit. We need Vitamin C to fight against infections.
- Vitamin B complex - it is rich in many vital B-complex groups of vitamins, and moderate source of thiamin, pyridoxine, and niacin.
- It also contains copper, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus.
- Rich in Omega 3 and Omega 6, which are essential for proper growth of body and mind.
- Helps in reducing the chances of heart attack by controlling harmful cholesterol (LDL) in the body and increase good cholesterol (HDL) level.
- Good source of Fibre - It is a good laxative diet and helps in inducing bowel movement.
- Helpful in treating Dandruff and Hair breakage and promotes and nourishes hair growth.
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies, supplements or starting a new health regime.
Breadfruit extract repels mosquitoes. In a study conducted at the ARS Natural Products Utilisation Research Unit (NPURU), and the University of British Columbia scientists collected smoke extracts by burning sun-dried clusters of flowers in the traditional method used by people in Pacific regions. (Source: http://www.bangaloremirror.com/others/sci-tech/Breadfruit-extract-repels-mosquitoes/articleshow/26050668.cms)
Other names of Breadfruit
Scientific name - Artocarpus altilis
English - Breadfruit
Malayalam - Kadachakka, Cheema chakka
Telugu - Koora Panasa pandu
Kannada - divi Halasu
Tamil - Kottai Palaakkaai
Goa - neerphanas
Konkini - Jeevi Halasu
Odisha - Koncha Ponoso
Sanskrit - Nagadamani
Hindi - Bakri-chajhar
Marathi - Nirphanas
Hawai - Ulu
Nigeria - Ukwa
Mexica - fruta de pan
Papua New Guinea - kapiak
Sri Lanka - Del
Tanzania - Sheli sheli
http://recipeclout.india-server.com/breadfruit.html Nutritional benefits
Recipes with Breadfruit
Breadfruit has lumpy green flesh and a potato-like texture. Several delicious recipes can be made with Breadfruit . They can also be fried and eaten like potato fries. It is widely eaten in Pacific Islands. The fruit can be ground into flour and used in sweet and savoury dishes, such as pancakes and crisps.
Breadfruit - Kadachakka Curry (Kerala Style)
Kadachakka pieces - 300g
Small onions (if available) or ordinary onion chopped - 1/2 cup
Tomato - 1 (cut into pieces)
Coconut scrapping - 1 cup
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp.
Coriander powder - 1 tsp.
Chilli powder - 11/2 to 2 tsp.
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp.
Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp.
Salt - as required
Cooking oil - 2 tbsp
Water - 2 cups
How to Prepare Kadachakka Curry?
- Remove the skin of the kadachakka, cut into two halves, and remove the centre part. Then cut them into small cubic pieces.
- Clean and cook for 8-10 minutes with salt.
- Keep a pan on slow fire and saute the coconut scrapping and onion pieces, till the coconuts turn slightly brown.
- Add the masala powders, chilly powder being the last. When cool, grind well in the mixie to a fine paste.
- In the same pan, add oil and splutter mustard seeds, add curry leaves, one red chilly cut into into, finely chopped onion, tomato pieces, and saute for few minutes.
- Add the ground masala, then add the cooked kadachakka, and boil for about three minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. It is a delicious curry to have with rice, chapathi, or appam etc.
Kadachakka can be cut into small pieces. After seasoning, add one chopped onion, two green chillies, 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder, and coconut scrappings. Saute for about two minutes and then add the kadachakka pieces with a little water. Mix well and cover it up. Cook on slow fire. The tasty kadachakka thoran (breadfruit thoran) is ready. This is a good South Indian side dish, especially in Kerala.
Medium size breadfruit - One
Sugar - 1 cup
Thick coconut milk - 2 cups
Cashew nuts - 2 tbsp.
Kismis - 1 tbsp.
Cardamom - 3
Ghee - 1 tbs.
Small onions - just two pieces.
Cut the breadfruit and remove its skin, and the central part. Then cut into small pieces.
Cook well in 2 cups water. Add sugar and mash well.
Add coconut milk and cook for about 3-5 minutes in medium fire, and then transfer it into a serving bowl.
Heat ghee in a pan and add finely chopped onion. Saute it for two minutes and add, cashew nuts and kismis, and then saute. Once they are ready garnish the payasam with this. A tasty breadfruit payasam is ready.
Breadfruit Chocolate Pudding
More by this Author
Learn about this magic herb called kizha nelli (Phyllanthus niruri) and its wonderful uses.
Find out the wonderful health benefits of the herb Oxalis Corniculata - Puliyarila.
Thinking of adding flax seed to your diet? Find out about the various health benefits of flax seeds, and information about how to use them.