The basic difference between anorexics and bulimics is the state of cachexia (severe malnutrition) that can reach patients with anorexia.
- Excessive intake of food in short periods of time without a corresponding increase in body weight;
- Vomiting induced by self-reversal of peristalsis or by placing a finger in the throat;
- Use of laxatives and diuretics to lose weight indiscriminately;
- Diets · brokered by sudden severe loss of control that lead to binge food;
- Depressive disorders, anxiety, obsessive compulsive behavior, self-mutilation.
Are the same as anorexia. Among them are genetic predisposition, social and family pressure and enhancement of lean body as the ideal maximum of beauty.
The treatment of bulimia nervosa requires monitoring by a multidisciplinary team composed of physicians, psychologists, nutritionists. Antidepressant medication can be helpful, especially if there are disorders like depression and anxiety. The diagnosis is not always easy, because the symptoms are not evident as those of anorexia.
Unfortunately, there are no known effective methods to prevent diseases such as bulimia and anorexia. It would take a commitment of society in change of certain aesthetic values related to the cult of the body and thinness.
- Some professions are considered at risk for anorexia. Dancers, jockeys, Olympic athletes, need to be aware of the pressure suffering to reduce body weight;
- The age group is dropping in cases of anorexia. The family needs to watch especially girls who disguise the weight wearing baggy and loose in the body and refuse to participate in meals at home;
- Sometimes the family just realize what is happening when, by chance, surprising the patient with fewer clothes and see her skeletal body, turned into skin and bone. In this case, it is urgent to seek specialized medical care;
- The ideal of beauty that society and the media is linked to impose absolute thinness. We need to look for these calls with critical thinking and common sense and not get carried away by the misleading message that can express;
- If the anorexic patient is at risk because of cachexia and psychiatric disorders should be admitted to hospital for medical treatment.