Can anybody identify this mystery gadget?

Mystery Gadget

Can you help me identify the mystery gadget in the photographs below?. It's made of plastic and is about 2 inches high. The first picture shows the gadget with it's protective cover on. The remainder show it with the cover removed. I can't think of any apparent use for the gadget which I found in my basement yesterday.

Mystery Gadget (2 inches high)

More by this Author

Comments 9 comments

wrench profile image

wrench 8 years ago

Contact Lens holder/cleaner

Based on

funride profile image

funride 8 years ago from Portugal

LOL, I was going to say it´s an arty but Wrench really knows best (like any mother btw) ;)

I don´t understand why it has that metal piece...

Ralph Deeds profile image

Ralph Deeds 8 years ago Author

Thanks, Wrench! That was quick. One of my kids must have left it here last Christmas.

Funride, there is no metal piece. The gear on top looks like metal in the picture, but is black plastic. However, the function of the plastic gear is not apparent to me. The gadget is entirely made of plastic except for a rubber o-ring seal.

Kam profile image

Kam 8 years ago

Oh Come on, of course it is contact lens holder! Anyways, very nicce photos of that little piece of plastic made in China!

Ralph Deeds profile image

Ralph Deeds 8 years ago Author

By 12-year-old children working 10 hours a day 7 days a week.

wrench profile image

wrench 8 years ago

Funride, I am just the husband of GOP Mom. I occasionally republsh a selection of her blog articles on hubpages.

Btw, she always knows best (as a Mother and a Wife!)

William F. Torpey profile image

William F. Torpey 8 years ago from South Valley Stream, N.Y.

I was disappointed when I saw wrench's answer to your question, Ralph. I thought I had the right answer for sure. I was going to say it definitely looks like a Martian spaceship.

donnaleemason profile image

donnaleemason 8 years ago from North Dakota, USA

Lol, I thought it was a manual juicer.

Ralph Deeds profile image

Ralph Deeds 8 years ago Author

Ha! Ha!, Donalee and William, et a,l above. I'm informed by my daughter-in-law that the device is a container for soft contact lenses. The lenses are inserted in the cups in the wings which are then retracted. Then the container is filled with contact lens cleaner fluid and screwed onto the device holding the soft lenses.

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.

    Click to Rate This Article