Cancer - Some Ideas on How to Prevent it
Is there anything we can do to prevent cancer?
Cancer can sometimes seem to be nearly epidemic anymore. We all probably know someone that has had cancer, and maybe even someone that has died from it. I myself, have nearly lost several relatives to cancer. That means that it can run in my family for sure, just like it likely runs in your own.
There are many suggestions out there, and this is something I am putting together that are just simple tips. Hopefully some of these things can help ward off cancers if we take some great care now to think ahead. Always consult your own physician before making any changes or adding things to your diet to be very careful. Your health is something you do have some control over, at least to some small degree. Take care of your life, it is a precious gift!
Stress relief and exercise can be a great help
Some new ideas to try if you haven't already.
Ok, my first tip may sound a bit simplistic, but I think it makes a great deal of sense especially when you look at different tips that you can find out there regarding preventing cancers.
1. Listen to your body and what healthy things it is craving! For instance, my body craves tomato, tomato soup from Bread Company in particular, but I kid you not I very much crave it! Think about this, tomato gardens have to be tended to every year and rotated on occasion, and why? They soak up so many nutrients out of the soil/earth. This means that tomatoes have quite a bit of healthy things that our bodies need, and they are great at sucking them up from where the "good stuff" comes from. So, I get myself some tomato soup, or eat more in salads etc, when I am craving that. I hope to see more come out of tomatoes in the future, as I think we don't know all there is to know about them yet.
2. Don't use the sun or tanning beds to get tan anymore. Use either a very short amount of time out in the sun, or use a spray or rub on tan with gels and lotions. There is simply no need to get a killer skin cancer for no real good reason. Never mind those unwanted wrinkles and leathery skin.
3. Reduce your stress levels with your favorite stress reliever. From reading a good book, taking a walk, petting your dog, writing in a journal etc, find some new ways to relieve your stress.
4. Consume less or no high animal fat proteins. I love the protein from meats and fish, but if you are serious about avoiding cancer, consider this option.
5. Have more tea, especially green teas. Any kind of tea though is good for you, from black, green, and herbal. I love them all, and can't get enough tea.
6. Steam and eat more broccoli.
7. Eat more grapes and drink more grape juice.
8. Exercise as much and regularly as you can. Get into habits like getting on a treadmill or stationary bike, or going on a walk after lunch or dinner everyday.
9. Drink plenty of water. Every time you pass a water fountain, take a drink, and take water with you on errands around town. Get in the habit of having a water bottle with you, so much so, that you feel naked without one.
10. Eat more nuts, like almonds and Brazil nuts, or whatever your favorites are. They can be filling, have protein and be great in the cancer fight. I think over time we will be hearing more and more about nuts.
11. Drink your favorite milk with vitamin D, or take supplements. Taking a great multivitamin doesn't seem to hurt, and might help more than you can imagine. Make sure they include the major minerals and the B vitamins.
12. Garlic, onions and scalions can be so good for you! Besides, they add so much flavor as well. Have breath mints or mouth washes if your breath is your concern, or cook for your friends as well as yourself. Its no big deal to have garlic breath if everyone around has it.
13. Carotenoids, found in foods like cantaloupe, can be especially helpful with certain cancers. For instance, I heard it is good to avoid or help lung cancers. Don't let the big melon keep you from buying it. Cut it up, take just a couple bites of cantaloupe with your breakfast and or lunch. It is so good, and may help a lot!
14. Eat all kinds of various colorful vegetables and fruits and berries. Nothing to lose, so much to gain and weight isn't one of them!
15. Eat more blueberries and artichokes. Artichokes may sound gross at first to some people, but when I was a little girl, my mother steamed or boiled them, and we served it with a tiny bit of mayonnaise on the side. It was really very good, to peel off a piece, and dip it in, and take off that little meaty part with your teeth. So healthy, if you don't use too much mayo.
16. Having a beer or glass of wine can't hurt and might help. Just don't overdo it, or you end up with possibilities of other cancers.
17. Don't start smoking, or stop if you do smoke. Have faith that you can get it done!
18. Eat more salmon, and buy one of those fuzzy kiwi fruits once in a while. Peel the kiwi and add it to your favorite salad. They are good for you. Salmon is tasty, and so healthy too.
19. Practice safe sex. Yes, believe it or not you can be spared many troubles with this simple and wise advice.
20. Avoid chemicals when you can. Buy more organic, be aware of what you are breathing and ingesting in any form. Taking your clothes to be cleaned with chemicals is just adding more chemicals to your life.
21. When you have the choice, choose many different kinds of leaves in your salads. Try incorporating even dandelion leaves in your salads! Dandelions are supposedly supposed to do wonders.
22. Have more omega fatty acids, and more cinnamon in your diet. I love to add cinnamon to my oatmeal and toast, or even in coffee during the brewing process. Fish has a lot of the omega fatty acids you need. I take a supplement as well and know many that do.
23. Go to your regular check ups with your physician and don't neglect this. It is a true and known lifesaver.
**This is by no means an exhaustive list. The intention here is to get healthier and to incorporate things into your life that you maybe thought weren't really necessary. I will try to update this as I find more. Take care of your biggest gift, your life.
More by this Author
From the Japanese Garden, one of my favorite places in the world. Oceansnsunsets Personal Photo Library Sending a sympathy card or letter, can mean more than words could ever say, to the person who has just lost someone...
I want to share my family's story of brain tumors, and what happened after we found out. My Step Father, who is a wonderful man and Father to us all, started showing symptoms that at first we thought was nothing. This...
Luna Moths are beautiful creatures. You will want to look closely at the photo and see the eye spots on the top wings as well as underneath. Find out more about this fascinating and large moth!