Carbon Monoxide: The Dangerous and Silent Killer

Caution: Poison

Carbon Monoxide Gas: The Silent Killer

 

 

Carbon monoxide is a gas that has no odour, taste or color.  Chemically speaking, it is known as CO which is one carbon attached to one oxygen molecule.  It is produced when a fuel does not burn completely because of a lack of air (oxygen).  These fuels include natural gas, kerosene, oil, wood and propane. 

 

Carbon monoxide can build up within a home, cottage, camper, tent and any enclosed space, especially those on boats.  Build up occurs when there is inadequate venting for airflow due to blocked or damaged vents. 

 

The prevention of the build up of carbon monoxide is a two step procedure.  The first step is to ensure that all fuel burning appliances have an adequate supply of fresh air to ensure that the fuel is burned completely.  As mentioned previously, carbon monoxide is the by product of incomplete burning of the source fuel.  By burning the source fuel completely, no carbon is left to bond with oxygen creating the deadly gas. 

 

The second step is to install carbon monoxide alarms.  If you have an attached garage, wood or gas fireplace, and/or gas appliances such as furnace, water heater or range, you need a carbon monoxide alarm.  These alarms should be placed on each level of the house (basement, main floor and all upper floors) in your home, cottage, boat or any enclosed space.  Read your manufacturer’s pamphlet for more information.

 

As carbon monoxide is a “heavy” gas, it sinks and crawls along the bottom of the walls and along the floor.  Carbon monoxide alarms should be place low to the floor and should have a high sensitivity to reading low levels of the gas.  A digital read out is recommended so that you can read the levels before the levels become too high and dangerous. 

 

Even with proper venting and carbon monoxide alarms, one should know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning as it can become fatal if not detected in time.  As of 2008, the leading cause of deaths due to poisoning in North America is carbon monoxide. 

 

It cannot be stated enough that carbon monoxide is invisible.  It is colorless, tasteless and odourless.  When breathed in, it enters your bloodstream.  Once it has entered your bloodstream, it can be potentially fatal as it inhibits your blood in your body from absorbing oxygen.  With less oxygen in your bloodstream, you become tired and drowsy.  Other symptoms include nausea, headache, burning eyes, and confusion.  These symptoms mimic those of the flu but there is no fever.  If exposure occurs during the night when you are asleep, you will fall into a deeper sleep.  If these warning signs are not heeded, then the continued exposure to the carbon monoxide will eventually lead to unconsciousness and, possibly, death. 

 

If you experience any or all of these symptoms, then remove everyone, including pets, from the source of the carbon monoxide to the fresh air outside.  The antidote to carbon monoxide exposure is fresh air.  Once outside, contact your local fire department or local emergency number for help.

 

It is imperative that infants and young children are removed from the source of carbon monoxide immediately.  The carbon monoxide is absorbed more quickly by them because they have a higher metabolic rate.  As a result, the effect of the carbon monoxide is quicker and faster, thus the symptoms show up quicker in them than in adults. 

 

The best way to ensure that your family is not exposed to the dangers of carbon monoxide is to take proactive steps and eliminate it at the source.  Make it a priority to ensure fuel burning sources are well maintained with good, clear sources of ventilation.  For a peace of mind, install carbon monoxide alarms on each level of the home to provide adequate time to evacuate should the need arise. 

 

With these measures in place, enjoy family gatherings around your fireplace or woodstove this winter!   

More by this Author


12 comments

Tasmine 20 months ago

I had no idea how to approach this benore-fow I'm locked and loaded.


Beth100 profile image

Beth100 5 years ago from Canada Author

Stan -- It is a miracle that you survived this! Not only were you in danger of CO poisoning, but you could have drowned in the tub or you could have hit your head and become completely unconscious and succumb to the CO. Now, to drive while feeling like this -- you were very lucky to not have gotten into a car accident. Thank you for sharing your personal experience. You are one of the fortunate ones and I'm glad for that. :)


Stan Fletcher profile image

Stan Fletcher 5 years ago from Nashville, TN

I was nearly a victim of CO when I was 23. I lived in an old garage apartment that had a space heater in it and woke up one morning feeling incredibly nauseous. I tried to make it to the bathroom, but fell out of bed and passed out. I laid there unconscious for about an hour and then crawled to the bathroom. I had no idea what was wrong and thought that a warm bath might make me feel better. I sat in the tub and passed out again. I woke up some time later with water running over the edge of the tub. I had a sixth sense that I needed to get out of the apartment, but couldn't move. I managed to turn the water off and crawl out of the tub, but then passed out again. Another hour went by. I then woke up knowing that I had to get to the hospital. I crawled to the door, passing out a couple of times on the way. I finally got to the door and slid down the stairs to my car and managed to drive myself to my fiance's house. She drove me to the hospital. Later, the fire department said that there were lethal levels of CO in the apartment and they weren't sure how I ever got out.


Beth100 profile image

Beth100 6 years ago from Canada Author

Winterfate -- You're welcome -- and I only speak the truth. You can comment on my hubs anytime, and if I make a mistake, please correct me. :)


Winterfate profile image

Winterfate 6 years ago from Puerto Rico

Aww, thanks a lot, I appreciate it. :)


Beth100 profile image

Beth100 6 years ago from Canada Author

Winterfate - You don't sound nerdy -- you sound professional and a person who knows his microbiology!! Thanks for a great explanation in layman's terms. I couldn't have said it any better!


Winterfate profile image

Winterfate 6 years ago from Puerto Rico

Very informative hub! At the risk of sounding nerdy, the reason CO is so dangerous is because hemoglobin (what makes red blood cells red and what bonds oxygen) preferentially binds CO, even in the presence of oxygen. :D


Beth100 profile image

Beth100 6 years ago from Canada Author

tequilarosemamma - It is great news that you are alive today!!!! Today is a celebration for your health and well being! Blessings and peace.


tequilarosemama4 6 years ago

ty beth for writing a hub on this i survived carbon monoxide posioning in 199 spent three month in the hospital fighting for my life. i have become one of your fans and i hope you will return the favor and become one of mine too. hope you have a blessed day.


Sarah 6 years ago

Thats a nice one :P


Beth100 profile image

Beth100 6 years ago from Canada Author

Thank you Kimberly!


lyricsingray 6 years ago

This is really important, thanks for doing a Hub about it, Kimberly

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.


    Click to Rate This Article
    working