The celandine (Chelidonium majus L.) is a herbaceous plant, spontaneous in Italy, belonging to the family of Papaveraceae. It is the only species of the genus Chelidonium.It is a herbal plant.
A perennial herb, 30 to 90 cm high, with branched stems and swollen nodes.
The leaves are lobed, alternate, imparipinnate, bluish-green, or lighter gray beneath. The flowers are composed of two glass falling sepals and corolla with 4 yellow petals, twenty stamens, ovary exceeded.
The fruit is a silique that contains a row of small brown seeds with a clear peak.
Broken branches out from a yellow-orange latex that is one of the unmistakable features of the plant. Exposed to air, latex rapidly oxidizes and darkens.
Map of the Mediterranean basin, grows wild in the woods and abandoned areas. It is considered an indicator of the presence of nitrogen compounds. It grows well in gardens and flower beds, and grows every year, so it is considered weeds.
· The active ingredients of this plant are mainly isoquinoline alkaloids, in particular the copticina but berberine and sparteine.
· The plant is traditionally used in herbal medicine popular for outdoor use. Against warts, the fresh latex is applied in the area, leaving it dry.
The toxicity of certain principles is not recommended for internal use without expert supervision.
In Homeopathy was pioneered by Samuel Hahnemann and his school.
· Appears often in the recipes of Maurice Mességué as a component of mixtures for footbaths and hand washing. In gypsy culture is used in foot baths, to relieve the legs.
· In moderate doses can be used as an aqueous solution (the). In the rural areas of Lodi and Crema, a traditional country uses a mash made of celandine and dandelion for cleansing action of the liver. Like other Papaveraceae action has purgative and sedative and a spasmolytic action on smooth muscle.
Used in the eighteenth century as decorative plants for flower beds, perhaps for the color of the leaves.
It is avoided by grazing animals, the taste bitter and disgusting.
YOU CAN FIND LIST OF HERBAL PLANTS AND THEIR USES
- Herbalism and Herbal Plants
The herbal medicine is an ancient art that deals with the knowledge of plants (herbs, medicinal plants, herbs, and spices), their cultivation, harvesting, storage and sale for medicinal purposes...
More by this Author
Migration is becoming a very important subject for the big cities’ life. The countryside daily life facilities seem unattractive to people when cities include luxury. Educational, social, cultural and financial...
Advantages and Disadvantages of Supercharger:The supercharger is used for supercharging of internal combustion piston engines. The drive is through a mechanical connection to the engine (or other device such as an...
Solar energy means energy, heat or electricity is produced directly using the energy radiated from the Sun (renewable energy) to Earth. At any time the Sun on the Earth sends 1367 watts per square...
No comments yet.