5 Amazing Health Benefits to Eating Chili
I am an avid lover of chili. However, it was not until recently that I learned the great health benefits a spicy meal could bring. It is surprising just how few people know the health benefits of chilies. They can cure, prevent and relieve many ailments. The wonderful ingredient that creates that hot sensation is a chemical called Capsaicin. However, this special chemical is not just good for spicing up our food. Here is a list of the amazing health benefits of eating chili and how it can make a difference to your health.
1# Lower Blood Sugar Levels
If you are unfortunate enough to suffer from diabetes, then the health benefits of eating chili could drastically lower your blood sugar levels. Capsaicin lowers the risk of developing atherosclerosis, (hardening of the arteries). Studies have shown that the amount of insulin needed to lower the body’s blood sugar levels, decreased by a massive 60% after a meal with chili. This is great news for someone who suffers from diabetes as it gives an easy way to decrease the need for insulin. It is also easily achievable to put a small amount of chilies in your food everyday.
2# Anti-inflammatory and Antiseptic
Chili has recently been proven reduce inflammatory and creams containing Capsaicin have been created to reduce things like back pain and arthritis. It does not have any side effects like most pain killers and it doesn't create a numbness with use. Its antibacterial properties have also been shown to fight infections such as the cold. So next time you have to take off because of the cold, add a bit of chili to your soup. Researchers are also currently looking into the chili benefits as an anesthesia or pain killer for minor procedures.
3# Reduces The Risk of Cancer
Unbelievably, a major health benefit to eat chili is that helps reduce the risk of cancer. Capsaicin acts as a blocker to stop damaged cells that lead to cancer from spreading. Additionally, it can also help cure it, which is a major breakthrough. This discovery has led many scientists to experiment with new drugs that could possibly be the cure for cancer. A riveting and interesting discovery indeed.
4# Slow Down Signs of Aging
If you are like most, forgetting to put sun screen on or you drink and smoke, then chillies are the best thing to help reduce and improve the aging of the skin. In the same way that Capsaicin helps with the prevention and cure of cancer, it protects the skin cells and acts as a blocker to UV light. Additionally, green chillies in particular are packed with vitamin C which helps improve the collagen in your skin.
Burn More Calories
5# Weight Loss
When eating hot chilies, your body burns more calories due the fact that your body has to work extra hard. The thermogenic chemical, Capsaicin, speeds up your metabolism and if eaten regularly it can even alter the way proteins in your body are used which can help with weight loss. Chilies have also been known as an appetite suppressant.
- BBC NEWS | Health | How spicy foods can kill cancers
Scientists reveal capsaicin, which makes jalapeno peppers hot, attacks the energy-making mitochondria of cancer cells.
- Food: Addicted to Chillies | Life | Sabotage Times
When most people think of addiction, chillies would be the last thing on their mind. Our man describes how his love for spice came about.
- Take a fresh look at cool chilli peppers - Telegraph
Fun Chili Recipes!
Now that you know the health benefits of chili, why not try some recipes that are fun and unique? Chili can be used in a lot of dishes!
Chocolate and Chili Truffles
- 375g Dark Chocolate
- 125g Dairy Free Spread
- 3 tbsp Cointreau/Liqueur
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 0.5 tsp Dried Red Wicked Little Chillis
- Cocoa Powder
- The dried chilli needs to be turned into a fine powder. Place in a blender then set aside. Be careful not to get any powder in your eyes!
- Heat water in a pan and bring to boil. Place 175g of the dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl and place over the pan to melt.
- Once the chocolate has melted, add the dairy free spread and beat to a smooth paste. Then add the sugar, liqueur and chilli powder. Continue to beat until light and fluffy then leave for no more than two hours.
- Once it has cooled down, you will be able to start rolling the paste into balls. Once you have created the balls, roll each truffle into sieved cocoa powder then place in fridge over night.
- To make the covering, melt the rest of the dark chocolate as done previously in bowl. Cover each ball with the melted chocolate and place into a case. Once you have done this to all the balls, leave in fridge to cool.
- Serve with a cheeseboard for dessert!
© 2012 Gaget Girl
More by this Author
80's fashion trends show us an interesting era of bold colours and fabulous pinnacles of a time we still can't forget...
Fashion served as form of visual communication, which effectively expressed punks’ disobedient and individualistic nature. 80s punks wore clothes set themselves apart from the status quo by rebelling against the...
Here a 7 super easy smoothie weight loss recipes for you to enjoy! Each are great for aiding weight loss and keeping you full...