Choosing a Primary Care Physician
What is a Primary Care Physician
All Insurance companies require that you choose a primary care physician. This is just a doctor that you will see on a regular basis for sicknesses, sprains, or any other sort of minor problem. If you need testing beyond what they can do, they will refer you to a specialist.
There are several things to consider when choosing your primary care physician.
* Proximity: This is one of the most important things to consider. If you are sick how far do you want to travel to get to your Doctor ? How close is the physician's office to your home in case of an emergency ?
* Hospital Admitting Privileges: How important is it to see the same doctor at the office as in the hospital ? If this is important to you, than make sure to ask your doctor if he/she has admitting privileges at your local hospital. This is not always the case.
* Insurance: Unfortunately, insurance usually dictates who your primary care physician will be. Sure, you get to choose, but it's from a list who are covered under you insurance. Before making an appointment at a PCP's office, ask if they are covered with your insurance.
* Office Atmosphere: There are all different types of office atmoshperes. Some are very business oriented, while others are more patient based or a social model. It's good to get the type of atmosphere that you are most comfortable in. It's stressful enough going to the doctor, you want to feel as comfortable as possible.
More by this Author
Find out exactly what is causing your itch !
- 10Symptoms You Have a Broken Pinky Toe or Stubbed Toe, Difference in Shooting Pains and the Healing Process
Do I need to go to the ER, broken toe symptoms and treatments !
Get rid of your infected tattoo fast!
No comments yet.