Acne Treatment: How To Prevent and Cure Acne
Common Causes and Treatments of Acne
Many people suffer from acne, which are commonly known as pimples and zits. In fact, according to the American Academy of Dermatology, "Approximately 40 to 50 million Americans have acne." The key to controlling your acne is to determine the cause of your breakouts, and to take steps to prevent pores from clogging. Effective treatment options are also an option.
Acne can be caused by a variety of factors; some factors are environmental, and others are heriditary. By understanding the root causes, you can control your pimples, and cut back on breakouts.
Some reasons that people get acne include:
1. Genetics - Unfortunately, heriditary does affect your skin health. If your parents are pre-disposed to acne problems, you will probably have the same issues. Unfortunately, we cannot control this cause.
2. Hormones - We all know that teenagers have acne problems. During the teenage years, children's hormones are escalating, and the hormones can cause zits. This hormonal issue is also seen in women right before they get their periods. These hormones are called andogens.
How To Treat and Cure Acne
3. Stress - Stress causes a great deal of health issues, including acne breakouts. Hormones are affected during stressful times, and people tend to touch their faces. When people touch their faces, the oil is redistributed from their fingertips onto their faces; this causes pores to clog and acne to form.
4. Clogged pores - The human face contains pores, hair follicles, and sebaceous glands. They can become clogged with dead skin or bacteria. As these pores become inflamed, a pimple results.
5. Bacteria - As bacteria gets into pores, the skin can flare up into an acne nightmare. Bacteria can come from unwashed pillowcases, dirty phones, and numerous other places.
The symptoms of acne are easy to distinguish. While the redness and bumps may appear on any part of the body, they are noticeable on the face. Acne may appear as pimples, blackheads, whiteheads, pustules, cysts, or even infected abscesses.
Curing the symptoms of acne begins with prevention. The truth is that prevention is very simple: keep the pores unclogged, and keep bacteria off of the skin. Several steps may help:
1. Frequently wash the area. Each time you clean the area, you are unclogging the pores and removing bacteria. Use a cleanser specifically made for treating acne.
2. Shower after exercising or sweating. While the sweat from the exercise will clean your pores, you do not want the bacteria to re-enter your skin. Take a shower and wash the bacteria away.
3. Wash your hair every day. Pay special attention to acne prone areas, such as the nape of your neck and the hairline on your forehead.
4. Remove your make-up each night. The make-up will clog your pores and collect bacteria.
5. Wash your towels and pillowcases frequently. Bacteria will cling to the fabric, and transfer to your face when you use these linens.
6. Don't touch your face. Your fingers are oily, and the oil will transfer to your face, causing pimples.
7. Regularly clean your phones, cell phones, keyboards, etc. All of these household items collect bacteria. Clean them frequently with rubbing alcohol. This will prevent acne, and also prevent the spread of germs that can cause the flu or the common cold.
8. Use exfoliating creams. Exfoliation takes off the dead skin, which removes the materials that will clog your pores.
9. Use "non-comedogenic" make-up and lotions. That's just a fancy term for items that do not cause acne.
How To Treat and Cure Acne
In addition to preventing the spread of acne, there are several ways that you can treat the zits that you already have. Acne treatments can be simple to use, and many can be purchased over the counter.
Look for special acne products, such as special cleansers, toners, or creams. You want to find products that contain acne-prevention ingredients, such as benzoyl peroxide, sulfer, resourcinol, or salicyclic acid. These ingredients will definitely help keep your acne under control. Use the twice a day, using the instructions on the package.
These acne treatment products work in two ways. They dry out the oil that is on your skin, and they kill the bacteria. When combined with a healthy cleaning ritual, your acne should disappear in about two weeks. There are numerous popular brands on the market today, including Proactiv, Acne Complex, MaxClarity, and Murad, as well as Neutrogena, Stridex, and Clearasil.
If your acne does not go away, see your dermatogist. The doctor can prescribe prescription medications such as oral antibiotics or cream antibiotics that are stronger than the over-the-counter medicine. Some doctors may prescribe birth control pills to their female patients. The birth control pills contain the hormone estrogen (as opposed to andogen), which prevents acne.
When you start your acne treatment, be patient. These medications will take time to work. Take them as prescribed and keep your skin clean. Your acne will soon be a part of your past.
Commercial Acne Products
Shopping for an acne treatment product can help you cure your pimples and have clear skin. There are so many products available, such as Murad, Neutrogena, ProActiv, Clearasil, and Acne Complex. Visiting each of their websites can help you find the solution for you. Just make sure you read online reviews and see if these products can clear your skin.
Many of these products can be purchased online. Simply order them right over the web, and have them mailed to your home. It is very convenient, and you'll have clear skin in no time.
More by this Author
The perfect Italian cannoli is a mixture of skill and knowledge. Armed with the perfect recipe, you can learn how to make the most delicious authentic cannoli. You simply need the proper cannoli shell recipe, the...
Silly Bandz are a fashion hit! Teens and Tweens love these stretchy bracelets that twist and turn into shapes.
When mice get into your house, you have a big problem! These pesky little rodents are more than pests---they are dirty and carry disease. That's why it's important to have good methods of mouse control. By taking simple...