Creative uses for Glycerin! Health, personal care, crafts and many others!
What is Glycerin?
Glycerin- a colorless, gooey liquid that freezes to a paste and has a high boiling point. Glycerin is also hygroscopic -- it absorbs water from the air. Glycerin, is an integral component of triglycerides. It is odorless and colorless, and has a high viscosity, while tasting slightly sweet. Pharmaceutical uses consist of adding it to cough syrups and elixirs. It is also used as a preservative and softening agent making it perfect for skin care products such as soaps, lotions, lip gloss, cosmetics and body scrubs. The reason being? It retains moisture. All skin types tolerate it well without any adverse reactions. Glycerin is also inexpensive, making it another great option for the frugally minded.You can easily purchase a 6 fl oz bottle for as little as $4.oo USD. However, make sure to use it diluted. Glycerin should never be used in its concentrated form as it may then draw moisture from the skin.
Glycerin is non-toxic, making it perfect for skin products that are manufactured specifically for infants and young children. It is also known to be the most versatile ingredient in beauty products because it does not lose its chemical stability when combined with other substances. Glycerin is highly unlikely to cause any type of allergic reaction. These qualities are what make it perfect for those with sensitive skin.
It protects overly dry skin by filling in the inter-cellular skin matrix and also helps in building even skin structure. Its humectant properties make it the best product for dry skin. It attracts just the right amount of moisture required to hydrate dry skin. It also creates a barrier which prevents moisture loss. .
Glycerin for health and personal care
Glycerin is used as a moisturizer to treat and prevent dry, rough, scaly, itchy skin and minor irritations (diaper rash, and skin burns). Emollients are substances that soften and moisturize the skin and decrease itching and flaking, by preventing dryness.
- Add a few drops to your favorite aftershave, for smooth, soft, moisture locked skin.
- Add a few drops to your favorite shampoo to eliminate dry flaky scalps and dandruff.
- Add a few drops to your favorite moisturizer and sunscreen, it also helps prevent and clear acne, and eczema.
- Create a home-made lip balm with 1 part glycerin and 3 parts coconut oil, add essential oil for scent and food coloring for color if desired, or when making for gifts! Mix well and refrigerate for 2 hours to set.
- Home-made soap-buy glycerin opaque chunks at your local craft store, melt, add color and scent and pour into molds, it's just that easy!
- Exfoliate-mix 1 tbsp glycerin, 2 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp milk, add some oatmeal to the mixture and make it into a thick paste and rub it around on your face. Leave it on for about 10-15 minutes, this mixture will unclog skin pores and cleanse the skin, while toning and brightening.
- Make a skin toner with rose water and glycerin-The mixture is available anywhere at drugstores, but you can also make your own rose water and glycerin mix at home. Store it in a spray bottle and just spray it on anytime your skin feels dry. It gives your skin a healthy glow and dewy look.
- For deep hair conditioning-Add 10 ml of glycerin directly to a bottle of conditioner (50ml) shake and mix well, use that conditioner regularly. Your hair will be ultimately conditioned!
- To repair split ends of hair-smooth a few drops on your ends, it temporarily seals split ends and leaves your hair looking renewed and smooth.
- Home-made eyeliner-crush eye shadow of any color you desire (the more you add to the mixture the richer the pigment will be) make sure the container you put the final product is airtight. Using another container mix a few drops of glycerin and a few drops of almond oil to the eye shadow, do so until you have the desired consistency. Instant eyeliner!
- Fizzy bath bombs (another recipe)-1 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup fine citric acid, 1/2 cup corn starch, 1/2 cup fine Epsom salt (optional), grind all these together in a food processor. Then pour into a large mixing bowl. Next, mix: 2 1/2 tablespoons of Coconut Oil, 3/4 Tablespoon water and liquid glycerin, 1/2 teaspoon of Essential Oil, and 1/4 teaspoon of Borax, mix this well then add to a spray bottle. Mist the dry mix with what you put in the spray bottle. Don't over mist. Think "wet sand" consistency. Mush into a mold of your choice, pack tightly. Gently remove and allow to dry overnight. Enjoy!
- Bath salt-mix all these in a bowl with a spoon, add a generous heap to a relaxing bath and enjoy! 3 cups coarse kosher salt or sea salt, 1/2 cup baking soda, 2 tbsp vegetable glycerin, 20-30 drops of essential oils (your choice on scent)!
- Home-made face peel-What you'll need, one egg, bowl, honey, glycerin, spoon or whisk. Break the egg and separate the white from the yolk. Place the egg white into a bowl and beat it until slightly fluffy. Add 1 tsp. of honey. The stickiness of honey helps the peel remove dead skin cells. Add 1 tsp. of glycerin. Beat the mixture together until well mixed. Apply the mixture to your entire face. Allow 15-30 minutes to dry. Your facial skin will feel tight when it is dry. You can now peel the mix off your face. Rinse your face with water when done. Your skin will feel toned, smooth, and fresh!
More to read
- Lemons and their many uses!
A simple fruit, full of uses you may have never considered! When life gives you lemons, use them in many ways, not just for making lemonade!
- Many reasons to love the uses for coffee grounds.
Coffee is expensive, but don't throw away the grounds after that tasty cup! Here are some
- How to make a Halloween fog maker
Make your Halloween decor or witches cauldron a bit more creepy with an easily home-made mini fog maker!
- Uses for essential oils for your body and home.
Like me, you may have never realized what Essential Oils can be used for, but there are a lot of uses that will not only benefit your mind and body, but also bring some extra joy to your life.
- How to make safe home-made bath bombs, part baking p...
Easy, inexpensive home-made bath bomb recipe, these are great for personal enjoyment, or for gift giving!
- Coconut Oil use and benefits! Get amazing before an...
The beautiful people of the world know the true value of Coconut Oil. This stuff is liquid gold...there are so many uses for this fantastic natural oil, read on for all the ways to start using it!
Glycerin use pie chart
Halloween fog maker using Glycerin
- How to make a Halloween fog maker
Make your Halloween décor or witches cauldron a bit more creepy with an easily home-made mini fog maker!
Glycerin for crafts
© 2013 Rebecca
More by this Author
What is this strange skin condition? How does it start and how do you get rid of it? Full body rashes can be very scary, and this one, although harmless is one of them!
Naturally treat and remove skin tags and warts anywhere on your body. You will be surprised how easily you can do this without harmful, expensive pharmaceuticals. Just be patient—this works!
How easy is it to overdose on nicotine? Not as easy as one would think. Learn to recognize the warning signs and symptoms, as well as how to treat a potential overdose.