Cure Insomnia Naturally
Tired of Being Tired?
A restful and full night's sleep is one of the most important ways of staying healthy. When we sleep the body restores and repairs damage done throughout the day. Did you know that you are taller first thing in the morning than at the end of the day?
Change Your Routine
The following list are ways to change your daily routine to help get a better night's sleep:
- stress reduction ~ deep breathing, meditation, visualization, yoga, exercise (during the day), take a hot bath
- avoid napping ~ try to stay awake the whole day, so you will be naturally tired at bedtime
- avoid caffeine ~ coffee, tea, sodas, chocolate, cough medicine
- avoid sugar ~ reduce the amount of sugary foods you eat, most importantly before bedtime
- avoid alcohol ~ consuming alcohol before bed risks waking up more during the night
- bed = sleeping ~ only use your bedroom and bed for sleeping in; don't work on the computer or watch TV in bed if you have trouble falling asleep
- side effects ~ check any medication you are on for side effects that could cause insomnia
- avoid late night snacking ~ make your last meal or snack at least 4 hours before bed
- get comfortable ~ you may not be able to sleep because your bed or pillow is not comfortable
10 Natural & Effective Insomnia Remedies
The following are some useful products to fight insomnia and getting a good night's sleep - naturally:
- Lavender ~ brew lavender flowers as a tea and drink before bed time; take a bath and add lavender essential oil; make a sachet of lavender flowers to put under your pillow; place a few drops of lavender on your pillowcase; massage lavender oil into your feet before bed
- Valerian root ~ brew Valerian root as a tea and drink before bed time; Valerian root is also available in liquid and capsule form; NOTE: do not take Valerian root in conjunction with any other prescription pills or alcohol
- Chamomile ~ brew chamomile flowers as a tea and drink one hour before bed time
- Magnesium ~ can be taken in capsule form; can be found in the following foods: dark leafy green vegetables, seeds, whole grains, cashews, brewer's yeast, legumes, almonds, and black-strap molasses
- Tryptophan ~ an essential amino acid that is the substance that makes you sleepy after eating turkey; other foods with tryptophan include: spirulina, raw soybeans, Parmesan & Cheddar cheese, caribou, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pork & lamb chops, chicken, beef, salmon, egg, milk, potato, banana
- Vitamin B ~ can be taken in capsule form, or eat more of the following food: nuts, whole grain cereals, pulses
- Earplugs ~ if you are a light sleeper and/or have a snoring partner try earplugs to drown out the noise
- Eye mask ~ wearing an eye mask to bed will block out all the light, which may be preventing you from falling asleep
- Music ~ listening to natural or ambient sounds while going to sleep will help quiet the mind
- Honey ~ is also useful to treat insomnia as it promotes the melatonin production, which is responsible for regulating your sleep cycle
The information given in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical prevention, diagnosis, or treatment. Please consult with your physician, pharmacist, or health care provider before taking any home remedies or supplements. Only your health care provider, personal physician, or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs or diagnose your particular medical history.
More by this Author
Dandruff is caused by malassezia, a yeasty fungus that normally lives on the skin. If this fungus becomes too prevalent then it will create dandruff. Dandruff causes irritation to your scalp by making it itchy, and...
Apple Cider Vinegar is one of the most useful products for treating a variety of ailments. It is not only a wonderful remedy, but will also replenish you with a lot of the vitamins and minerals missing from our diets...
Bloating, irritability, cramps, mood swings, acne, heavy bleeding...does this sound familiar? Many women have PMS and think that it is just a part of being a woman. I personally found it very frustrating and wanted...