Chilli Con Carne Recipe and Easy No Mess Rice
Day 5 - Healthy Eating Plan
Fat Free Danone Activia Mango Yoghurt.
1 bowl of fresh Fruit Salad consisting of seedless red grapes, banana, apple and orange segments.
Comment: The yoghurt really is a refreshing start to the day and to continue with all that lovely crisp juicy fresh fruit was gorgeous.
2 slices of Wholewheat Seeded Bread toasted with 150g / 3½oz of Baked Beans in tomato sauce.
1 small Red Cox's Apple.
DINNER - CHILLI CON CARNE
My family just adores Chilli Con Carne and this version is no exception, in fact my husband prefers this version to my original one. Enjoy!
400g lean Free Range Minced Beef
1 large Organic Red or White Onion
1 large Organic Green Pepper
400g can of Chopped or Plum Tomatoes
400g can of Red Kidney Beans
250ml of Beef Stock
1½ tablespoons of Vegetable/Groundnut or Corn Oil
1 clove of Organic Garlic, crushed
1 or 2 fresh Red Chillis, according to taste
1 teaspoon of Tabasco, according to taste
2 teaspoons of Cumin
1 teaspoon of Paprika
2 tablespoons of Tomato Puree
Freshly Ground Salt and Black Pepper
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick pan.
- Add the onion and green pepper and stir-fry, you don't want this to take on any colour so cook gently until the onion is translucent and both vegetables have softened.. If your pan isn't as non-stick as mine and the veggies start to stick do not add more oil but add a tablespoon of water instead, no calories and it works just as well.
- Add the crushed garlic and chillies, stir occasionally for a few minutes, now add the spices and tabasco, stirring to incorporate everything together.
- Add the minced beef and stir till it browns.
- Now you can add all the other ingredients, stirring occasionally to ensure that nothing sticks. Cover and cook for about an hour until the rich sauce develops a wonderful depth and flavour and the meat is beautifully tender.
- Check and adjust your seasoning.
Easy way to cook perfect rice:
To do your rice this way you will need a saute pan or a heavy bottom frying pan which has a lid (see links below).
- Sprinkle some salt in the bottom of your pan.
- Add 1½ cups of rice.
- Add 3 cups of boiling water.
- Give it a stir and pop the lid on.
- Bring to the boil for 7 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, leave the lid on, and leave for 10-14 minutes depending on how soft you like your rice.
And there you have it perfect rice, no need to rinse, no boiling water to pour away, just whizz a fork through it and you have perfect fluffy rice to serve with your Chilli.
This amount serves 4 hungry people, but it's easy to change the amount of rice, just remember for 1 cup of rice you need 2 cups of water.
For those of you who hate the fact that your eyes water when you're cutting onions I was recently given a tip which I'm going to pass on, apparently it is the thin end of the onion where the roots once were that holds the eye-watering chemicals and if you keep that mostly intact when cutting your eyes won't water nearly as much if at all.
More by this Author
A very low fat, low calorie but high on flavour Chilli Con Carne for those watching their weight/ dieting.
Day Eight of the Healthy Eating Plan with recipe for Sticky Pork Ribs.
Day Four of the Healthy Eating Plan with recipe for Slow Roasted Lamb.
No comments yet.