Crab and Prawn Potato Cakes Recipe
Day 6 - Healthy Eating Plan
2 slices of toast thinly spread with Flora Light and lashings of Marmite.
1 small bunch of Red Seedless Grapes.
2 slices of bread; thinly spread with 40g / 1½oz of Philadelphia Light Cheese and 15g / ½oz of lean ham, plus loads of salad leaves and cucumber.
and 1 Large Red Royal Gala Apple.
Comment: I chose the Philadelphia with garlic and herbs which was superb and tasted like a lighter Boursin cheese - just wonderful.
DINNER - CRAB AND PRAWN POTATO CAKES
This is such a delicious dinner or afternoon lunch, I make batches of these and pop them in the freezer as they are one of my husband's favourite snacks. They're not as light as normal crab cakes, the idea here is to provide a tasty but filling version, nothing worse than feeling hungry an hour after you've eaten, although I think that's a permanent condition when it comes to my kids, "what can I eat now?" is a reoccurring statement in our house.
There aren't definitive measurements in this recipe, it really is a case of taking the quantities that you have, mixing them all together in a large bowl, frying until golden and eating with delight!
Raw or Cooked Large Prawns, chopped in ½cm pieces
1 Large Free Range Egg, beaten
3-5 Spring Onions/Scallions, chopped
¼ cup of Lighter or Lighter Than Light Hellman's Mayonnaise
1-2 teaspoons of Dry Mustard
1-2 Red Chillis, finely chopped
Leftover/Pre-cooked Mashed Potato (made with low fat spread and skimmed milk)
1 cup of Breadcrumbs
Juice of 1 Organic Lemon
Seasoning; Freshly Ground Sea Salt and Black Pepper
A couple of dashes of Hot Pepper Sauce or Cayenne Powder
Spray Oil or Vegetable Oil
- This really could not be easier, prepare all your ingredients and then place everything except the mashed potatoes into a large bowl - adding as much chilli and hot sauce or cayenne pepper as you prefer, I have tried making these without any chilli and they are much nicer with than without, although you might want to omit these if you're serving them to children.
- Once this is mixed thoroughly you can then add the mashed potatoes and mix again.
- Lightly spray a frying pan with oil, and bring to a medium heat.
- Take large spoonfuls of mixture, shape into cakes/patties and place carefully in the hot oil.
- Fry gently until crisp and brown and turn over and fry on the second side.
These delicious little cakes are now ready to eat with a hearty salad.
Comment: These were incredibly easy to make, I shaped and froze a few for another time and the addition of the chunks of prawns and the kick of the chilli was a really hit with the family. We ate these with the salad to which I added thinly sliced apple this was a wonderful addition and very refreshing against the heat of the chilli.
More by this Author
Day Eight of the Healthy Eating Plan with recipe for Sticky Pork Ribs.
A very low fat, low calorie but high on flavour Chilli Con Carne for those watching their weight/ dieting.
One of the best cakes for a teatime treat, easy recipe, quick to prepare, no mess and one of the best Lemon Drizzle Cakes you'll ever taste.