Dental, Gum And Teeth Disease - Causes, Prevention and Natural Home Remedy
Causes Of Dental Disease
Oral health plays a very important role in our life. Healthy teeth and gums not only give us a beautiful smile they also perform a very important task, that of chewing properly, the food we eat so that it is easily and well digested. Proper mastication of food is the first and the most important step in the process of digestion. When we start neglecting oral hygiene, a lot of dental problems set in.
Improper dental hygiene includes incorrect brushing ways, irregular brushing, excessive consumption of sweet and sour food and beverages, over consumption of processed foods, excessive smoking etc. Sweetened drinks and excessive consumption of sugar habitually, is the major cause of dental disease as bacteria revel in sugar.
Types Of Dental Diseases
Oral diseases are split into 3 categories
- Diseases of the teeth like cavities and tooth decay.
The causative factor in this is plaque. Plaque forms as a thin film on the teeth surface. It contains bacteria which thrive on the sugar which we consume in our food and drinks. They produce acid which corrodes the enamel causing cavities, which if untreated, leads to tooth decay.
- Diseases of the gums
Gingivitis is the first stage in gum disease. The acid by the bacteria is the cause. Symptoms exhibited are swollen, inflamed bleeding gums and bad breath.
When gingivitis progresses further due to non treatment it leads to peridontal disease. Receding gums, weakening and loosening of the teeth and loss of teeth constitute peridontal disease.
While gingivitis is reversible with proper oral hygiene and visits to the dentist, peridontal disease is not.
- Oral diseases like cancer
Various areas and parts of the mouth and throat can get affected with cancer. Symptoms like non healing sores, bleeding from gums, sore throat, lumps, red or white patches, etc which do not respond to normal treatment and last for more than 2
weeks should be got thoroughly investigated.
On of the major factors that leads to oral cancer is smoking and chewing tobacco. Excess alcohol consumption has also been identified as a cause.
Some Tips For Preventing Dental Disease
Teeth are designed to last a lifetime. However 80-90% of the population suffers from some level of dental disease.
- Proper brushing of teeth and regular flossing,
- Ayurveda recommends daily cleaning of the tongue to keep the oral cavity and teeth in perfect health. Cleaning the tongue reduces bad breath and also prevents plaque formation.
- Proper rinsing of the mouth after eating and brushing teeth twice a day, once after each major meal, is imperative in preventing dental disease and maintaining a healthy oral cavity.
Along with these precautions a visit to the dentist every 6 months should be made a routine practice by all of us.
Oil pulling is a very effective way to improve dental health. Not only this, it relieves a lot of other health conditions too. I have written a hub on oil pulling whose link is given below.
- Oil Pulling And Its Health Benefits
Oil Pulling, also known as oil swishing, is an ancient Indian Ayurvedic practice which has amazing health benefits. To know more about this simple, cheap and wonderful old world health practice, read on...
Dental Disease & Heart Disease
For long, the link between dental disease & heart disease has been debated. Though there has been no conclusive evidence pointing to their connection some similarities exist between both diseases, like
The build up of plaque and hardening of the arteries is in fact an inflammatory process very much like gingivitis, which is the inflammatory stage of gums.
Also the levels of C-reactive protein (CRP) in gum disease rise in people having moderate to extreme gum disease. Higher CRP levels are associated with a higher risk for heart attack.
Similar bacteria are found in gum disease and the arteries that are affected by the deposition of plaque.
A report published in the Journal of Peridontology and the American Journal of Cardiology simultaneously, after a review of 120 published medical studies, papers and other data, indicates a possible heart and dental health link. This review was done by experts in the field of peridontology and cardiology. The report states
- There exists a higher risk for heart disease in those suffering from gum disease.
- Those suffering from gum disease are more at risk of strokes or diseases of blood vessels and arteries that supply blood to the brain.
- Some research indicates that those with gum disease had a higher incidence of blocked arteries.
Natural Home Remedies To Keep Teeth Healthy
Dry lemon peels in the sun and grind when dry. Use this to brush your teeth clean. and cure bad breath.
A mixture of salt, mustard oil and lemon juice can also be used to brush the teeth. It not only makes teeth stronger but relieves many dental diseases.
To make teeth sparkle one can rub lemon halves left after squeezing the juice from them.
Drink 100 ml of carrot juice daily. This prevents dental diseases and makes gums stronger.
- For pyorrhea, swollen and painful gums, bad breath, mix 1 tsp honey in 20 drops of garlic juice and consume.
- Make an oil to brush teeth with as follows.
Add 4 to 5 garlic cloves to 60 gms mustard oil. Heat this oil till the garlic turns black. Strain and add 30 gms of powdered and roasted carom seeds and 15 gms rock salt.
Brush teeth with this to relieve normal dental problems.
Using this for 2 to 3 months even relieves pyorrhea.
Use garlic for dental health.
Apple keeps the teeth and gums strong and in good health. To prevent and get relief in cavities, swollen gums and tooth decay, eat an apple after every meal regularly.
- Chewing on guava leaves relieves painful teeth.
- Pain in gums, swelling and painful teeth respond well to rinsing of the mouth with water, in which guava leaves have been boiled and then cooled.
Eat raw turnip. Chewing it well will relieve many dental conditions as well as make the teeth clean.
To relieve pain in the teeth the following is beneficial.
- Grind 5 cloves. Squeeze some lemon juice on them. Rub the teeth with this mixture.
- Boil 5 cloves in 200 ml of water. Swish this water around in the mouth for a few minutes.
- Brush teeth with a mixture of turmeric, salt and mustard oil. It helps in making the teeth strong.
- Burn a piece of turmeric. Grind it. Rub this on the painful teeth for relief. It kills bacteria too.
- Make a pill by adding some water to ground asafoetida and turmeric powder. Keep this under the painful tooth for relief.
Applying a few drops of Homeopathic asafoetida mother tincture to the decaying and painful tooth stops pain.
- Dry the leaves and the twigs bearing these leaves in the shade. Burn them. grind the ash so formed and add peppermint, cloves and a little salt to this. Brushing the teeth with this relieves pyorrhea and makes the teeth strong.
- One can also brush the teeth with a fresh twig of the neem tree.
- Immature neem leaves can be boiled in water to make water to be used as a gargle. This stops pain.
Grind gallnuts. Brush the teeth with this powder. It gives relief in sensitive teeth, loose teeth, bleeding gums and teeth.
A piece of raw onion kept at the place of pain or painful teeth relives pain.
- For cavities and painful teeth, keep a small piece of alum wrapped in a little cotton inside the cavity. Keep spitting out the saliva so formed.
- In pyorrhea, painful, swollen and bleeding gums, rub a powdered mixture of 1 part of salt and 2 parts of alum on the gums 3 times a day. then rinse the mouth well with warm water in which 5 gms alum has been added. It strengthens the gums and teeth, stops bleeding and pus formation.
Take equal quantities of roasted cumin seeds and rock salt. Grind fine.. sieve and massage the gums with this. Spit out the saliva formed.
It relieves in swelling and painful gums .
- For swollen gums swallow 3 grams of ginger powder with water, once a day. It relieves pain too.
- For pain in the teeth due to cold, sprinkle some salt on a piece of ginger and keep below the affected tooth.
A very interesting and effective remedy for painful teeth.
- Start with tolerably warm water. Keep in the mouth for 2 minutes. Then spit it out and keep very cold water in the mouth for 2 minutes. Repeat this 4 times.
Always start with hot water and end with cold water. Continue for 3 days after pain is relieved.
If gums are swollen gargle with warm water.
For painful and infected teeth, apply amla juice to which a little camphor has been added, to the teeth. It relieves pain.
BOTTLE GOURD / CALABASH
Take 75 gms of bottle gourd and 20 gms garlic. Grind both together. Add 1 liter water to this mixture. Keep to boil and remove from heat when 500 ml water remains.
Use this water to gargle. Gives relief from pain.
TULSI / HOLY BASIL
Grind tulsi leaves and black peppercorns to make a paste. Make pills from this. Keep one pill below the painful tooth for relief.
Chewing tulsi leaves strengthens the teeth and controls bad breath.
Homemade Mouthwashes Recipes by SuzieHQ
- Best Homemade Mouthwash Recipes
Mouthwash is easily homemade and the best option to choose. Here are 7 homemade mouthwash recipes using everyday ingredients that are more beneficial to your oral hygiene and health than store bought.
Hub - How to properly care for teeth by hubber tirelesstraveller
- How to Properly Care for Teeth
Getting into the habit of brushing, and flossing your teeth will help you be healthier and save money throughout your life.
- Dental Cavities- Causes, Prevention, and Filling Cavities
Dental cavities, or caries, are holes in the outer two layers of a tooth (the enamel and dentin). The enamel is the outermost layer, that is a white hard surface, and the dentin is the yellow layer just beneath the enamel; both layers protect the...
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies or supplements or embarking on a new health regime.
Some of my other hubs on Health Conditions
- About High Blood Cholesterol And How To Control It Naturally
High blood cholesterol causes high blood pressure, heart diseases and can be a risk factor for a heart attack. To know how cholesterol levels can be reduced naturally, read on...
- Foods To Consume Or Avoid In Dysfunctional Dyspepsia And Natural Home Remedies For Indigestion
Indigestion or dyspepsia is caused by stress, indiscriminate eating, an erratic lifestyle, etc. It can be treated by following some preventive measures coupled with natural foods readily available in every home. To know how, read on...
- Natural Home Remedies To Control High Blood Pressure Or Hypertension
High blood pressure is more of a lifestyle disease than anything else. Even chronic cases respond to a sensible lifestyle change along with natural remedies which are available in every home. To find out which natural food benefits in high blood pres
- About Seasonal Allergies, Pollen Allergy, Hay Fever And Natural Home Remedies To Control Them
Seasonal allergies are on the increase due to many factors some of which are within our control. Want to know how you can cope up with these seasonal and pollen allergy making some lifestyle changes and using some natural home remedies? Read on...
5 Easy Tips for Healthy Gums
© 2012 Rajan Singh Jolly
More by this Author
Milk is a universally available natural food. It contains all nutrients necessary for our growth. Read on to find the health benefits of drinking this white nectar...
Bad breath is extremely disconcerting but it can be prevented with a few lifestyle changes. Find out how you can get good smelling breath and also know which natural breath fresheners that can help...
Chia seeds, the wonder food, also called the "Running Food" was much used by the ancient Aztec and Mayan people not only as a food but for its amazing benefits.