Depression - Don't be a Loner
Everyone in life needs a friend, but sometimes when life is tough, some people choose to want to be all by themselves, which can be understood to a point, but not to be completely isolated. It’s good to have friends or family to:
1) Share your thoughts/problems with. (A problem shared, is a problem halved)
2) Laugh with – even when you are depressed, if you have a friend or family member around, you will smile or laugh from the heart, at some point in the day.
3) To encourage and inspire you.
4) To help you in any practical ways or point you to where you can get help.
5) For you also to help them. It’s been proven that our serotonin levels increase when we help people. When you help others, you feel happy too. (serotonin is a happy hormone also found in the brain – affecting the mood. Many Anti-depressants are used to regulate serotonin levels).
6) To just have their presence around will be comforting. You don’t always have to talk.
7) To pray with, if you are a Christian or do meditation with. (It lifts burdens)
8) To hold your hand when you are going through the most difficult time of your life. No one should be alone when facing a Terminal Illness / divorce / bankruptcy / House Repossession / Bereavement etc.
9) To share happy things that have happened to you. Imagine winning the Lottery or being clear from a terrible disease or meeting your favourite Celebrity in person and not having someone to share it with…
* There are supportive phone lines / websites on the internet / Therapists, but nothing beats having family members or a friend who is physically there for you.
•*¨*•✩✬ ~ If you’re carrying more than you can handle today, choose to let some of it go by letting someone else in. ~
I couldn’t think of a 10th reason to have someone around. What would you have added as No 10? Thanks
10a. Thanks to Anglnwu who suggests - A good cry. (read her comments below)
More by this Author
A look at Pro Ana Websites that encourage Anorexia as a healthy lifestyle and endanger the lives of youngsters. September 2009.
10 Reasons not to feel fed up with life. Don't throw in the Towel. You have so much to live for.
Things I have personally noticed about people who laugh a lot. Thought provoking. Laughter is Good.