Do It While You're Young: A Bucket List For Life
You don't want to live with regrets, or wishing that you had done something that you had the opportunity to and never did. Sometimes windows of opportunity are only open for certain parts of your life. You can wake up one day and suddenly find your life is not only about you. Bills, a career, marriage, children. Things that you wanted to do before can no longer be a priority, or simply you don't have the time.
I'm almost 21. I'm single, in the non-married sense. I'm going into my fourth and hopefully final year of my undergrad. I'm 30 grand in debt. I work as a reservist in the army. My biggest bill so far is a cellphone and a credit card. I realize that where I am in my life, the constraints of the debt not on my mind, could be potentially the time in my life where I have the most freedom. Once I'm done of school, I'll begin working full-time. I need to acquire a vehicle. I'll probably end up leasing an apartment. Student loan will begin to want their money back. That's why I live very much in the moment, because I realize the responsibilities I have now will only increase and I won't have as much time to have fun. Eventually, there may be a day where I get married (terrifying thought at the moment), or perhaps even start a family (even more terrifying thought).
Living the free lifestyle has left me with memories - mostly good. I've done things that I'm happy to have done and know that I may not be able to do later in life. I joined the army on a whim, and got to fire machine guns and throw grenades. I've travelled to ten different countries. I can speak alright German. I've partied until I was exhausted. A guy and I slow danced with no shoes on in the middle of a soccer field under sprinklers at 3 am. I bought a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes for $800.00. Even how ridiculous some of them may seem, I'm glad I have the memories. These will be the ones I'll look back on and be glad I did them. They'll be the ones I associate with my youth. You won't stay young forever, so be sure you make each day count.
Here's a list I've accumulated, and will probably update. I'll call it a bucket list.
1. Travel to that country you've always wanted to visit, even if you have to save.
2. Buy something expensive that you've always wanted to own.
3. Take lessons for a skill that has interested you. i.e. archery, cooking, dance.
4. Do something daredevillish, and don't be afraid to brag about it. Skydiving, anyone?
5. Learn another language, then travel to that country and immerse yourself in the culture.
6. Spend a week without technology, somewhere remote and beautiful.
7. Tell someone how you feel about them, regardless of what their reaction may be.
8. Remove a toxic person from your life and don't look back.
9. Stay up all night partying with your favorite people.
10. Take a day off work and do absolutely nothing.
11. Go see your favorite band live in concert.
12. Do something nice for someone without expecting anything in return.
13. Call someone you haven't spoken to in a while, even if you may have had a disagreement.
14. Donate money - even if it's not much - to a charity that has personal meaning to you.
15. Try making a piece of art, even if you think you can't.
16. Give someone an honest try even if initally you don't think you like them.
17. Participate in a competition, even if you think you won't win.
18. Remind the people in your life how important they are to you.
19. Go out for an evening dressed to the nines, just because you can.
20. Look in the mirror and tell yourself something positive every day.
21. Set a personal health goal, (i.e. fitness, diet, quitting an addiction) strive until you achieve that goal, no matter how long it takes.
22. Stop caring what other people may think, and do what you want for you.
More by this Author
Those three words can get tossed around too frequently, so that the true meaning gets lost in translation.
A look into the Italian Renaissance church and its unique inspirational design.
My review of Charmed Aroma Candles, the company that includes a ring inside of each candle valued anywhere from $10 - $5000.00. The candle smells great and the ring inside is a shiny surprise.