Do you have any OCD like tendencies? Are they kind of funny? Do they interfere with your day to day life?
Oooohhh the OCD!
In response to the request "Do you have any OCD like tendencies? Are they kind of funny? Do they interfere with your day to day life?", the answer is YES!
Actually, you might say that I live in an OCD infested household.
I, personally, must have Chap Stick or lip balm and hand lotion on me at all times. I have close to one hundred individual luscious little lip treatments. I don't have quite as much lotion, maybe 20 bottles or so. And yes I do realize that I don't need all of that. I just can't help myself. I use lotion on my hands throughout the day to a tune of about 30 times. After my hands get wet, I must have lotion or I can't touch anything. Try being a nurse with this craziness. It gets...well...old.
My husband has actually been diagnosed with OCD. His behaviors can be entertaining, but only after spending a very long time getting used to living with someone with OCD. Prior to that, they were pretty frustrating. Some interesting things he does (and I do have his permission to write about them) are:
- The sound on the TV must be on an even number.
- He drives the same route to get to places. Up this street and down that street. Never ever up a street that he goes down or down a street that he goes up. This makes traveling a bit of a chore.
- During a regular sports season, he cannot play a different sports video game. No baseball Playstation during football season.
- He records the number of emails he receives on a calendar.
- He can't mix and match brands of cothing. To include shoes. No Nike shoes with an Adidas shirt. Ever.
- And the grand finale: he hasn't worn pants since December 24, 2003. He wears shorts. Even in below 0 weather. The looks we get from people are priceless.
The way I look at it is, if you let OCD be an obstacle, then it will be. We have learned to accept each other for what we are. It has not always been easy. But we love each other enough to not sweat the small stuff. And if he hides my hand lotion, then I put the volume on 36. All's fair in love and war.
More by this Author
Have you ever been to an Emergency Room where you spent the better part of your day either in the waiting room or lying on an uncomfortable bed on wheels, desperately wondering when someone was going to tell you what it...