Dragon Fruit Benefits
Health Benefits of Dragon Fruit
Dragon fruit is also called as Pitaya in some places. The overall shape of the fruit resembles a dragon and hence it is called Dragon fruit. It is usually dark red in color with a thin skin, which is covered in scales and cactus-like. When the fruit is cut into, it is amazing to see the beautiful combination of white pulp with small, black, edible seeds. The pulp is not only beautiful to see, but also very delicious. Pitaya is indigenous to Central America, but it is also grown and exported from several Southeast Asian countries. These fruits are rich in vitamin C, B1, B2 and B3, and minerals such as iron, calcium, and phosphorus.
Dragon Fruit Benefits
There are several benefits of Dragon fruit, and some of the main benefits are given below.
- Helpful in cardiovascular health. Dragon fruit has an amazing superpower that helps decrease bad cholesterol levels and increase good cholesterol levels. Since it is an excellent source of monounsaturated fats, the contents of this fruit help the heart stay in good condition.
- Relieves Constipation - The high fiber content in the fruit removes constipation and keeps your body fortified and healthy.
- Prevents Cancer - Since Dragon fruit is high in antioxidants it removes free radicals and cancer producing properties from the body.
- Regulates Diabetes - Dragon fruit also stabilizes blood sugar levels by suppressing sugar spikes in the blood and hence it is a good fruit for the diabetic patients.
- Reduces signs of aging. - This wonderful fruit has the ability to make the skin tight and young.
- Prevents acnes - Pitaya also prevents acnes for the teenagers if used as face pack.
- Moisturizes sunburned skin - Since it is rich in Vitamin B3 when used as a face pack it also moisturizes sunburned skin.
- Immunity booster - Since it contains high amount of vitamin C it is a sure immunity booster.
- Low Cholesterol - It contains low amount of cholesterol.
- Weight management - Since it is low in calories it is helpful to keep your weight under control.
By adding this exotic fruit to your diet good health can be achieved. However, pregnant and lactating mothers should consult their doctor before its use.
Nutrition Facts of Dragon Fruits
The typical nutritional values per 100 g of raw pitaya (of which 55 g are edible) are as follows:
- Water 80-90 g
- Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) 4–25 mg
- Ash 0.4-0.7 g
- Calcium 6–10 mg
- Calories: 35-50
- Carbohydrates 9-14 g
- Carotene (Vitamin A) traces
- Fat 0.1-0.6 g
- Fiber 0.3-0.9 g
- Iron 0.3-0.7 mg Niacin (Vitamin B3) 0.2-0.45 mg
- Phosphorus 16 – 36 mg
- Protein 0.15-0.5 g
- Thiamine (Vitamin B1) traces
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) traces
These figures are subject to change as per cultivation conditions.
Other names of Dragon fruit
Botanical name: Hylocereus undatus
The other names of Dragon fruit are Pitaya, Red Pitahaya, Night blooming Cereus, Strawberry Pear, Belle of the Night, conderella plant.
Other common names:
French: cierge-lezard, poire de chardon
German: distelbirn, echte stachelbirn, drachenfrucht
Portoguese: cato-barse, cardo-ananaz
Spanish: pitahaya roja (Colombia, Mexico, Venezuela); flor de caliz, pitajava (Puerto Rico); junco, junco tapatio, pitahaya orejona, reina de la noche, tasajo (Mexico)
Swedish: skogskaktus, röd pitahaya
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies.
Where to buy Dragon fruit online?
How to consume Dragon fruits
Dragon fruits can be consumed in several ways. They can be eaten just as fruit or made into jams, puree, sherbets, salads, fruit pizza, and juice.
While choosing the dragon fruit, the petals should be brightly colored, without browning on the ends.
More by this Author
Find out the various health benefits of Kovakkai (Ivy Gourd, Tindori)
Learn more about the wonderful spice Cinnamon and its health benefits.
Like any other country, India too has got her own beliefs and superstitions.