Drinking Jeera (Cumin) Water for Good Health Benefits
The Health Benefits of Drinking Jeera (Cumin Seed) Water
Drinking jeera water on a daily basis has several health benefits.
- According to Ayurveda, warm jeera water is helpful in strengthening our digestive system, circulatory system and balance our tri-doshas – vata, pita and kapha.
- Warm jeera water helps to refresh our body and flush out the toxins from the body.
- Jeera water contains good antiseptic properties that fights common cold and fevers.
- When a little ginger is mixed in jeera water, it helps to soothe a sore throat.
- Jeera (Cumin seeds) are highly noted for digestive disorders like atonic dyspepsia, diarrhea,biliousness, morning sickness, indigestion, malabsorption syndrome, and flatulent colic.
- Jeera water is also effective in inducing sleep. After taking a A teaspoon of cumin seeds and a ripe banana at night, drink jeera water to induce sleep.
- Cumin is said to increase the heat in the body thus making metabolism more efficient.
- Jeera is rich in Vitamin-E. The essential oils present in this have disinfectant and anti fungal properties, which prevents any microbial and fungal infection from affecting the skin.
- Cumin is rich in iron and it is highly beneficial for ladies, especially those who are pregnant, or lactating mothers.
- Also helpful for the burning sensation of the palms and soles.
Cumin Seeds: Other Names
Indian: jeera, jeraka, jira, zeera, zira, sufaid
Malay: jintan puteh
Arabic: kammun, kemouyn
German: Kreuzkümmel, Romische Kümmel
How to Prepare Jeera Water
For a regular drink:
- Add 1 tsp of jeera in 4 liters of water and boil it.
- After boiling it, remove it from the stove and keep it covered.
- Drink whenever you need water and also after the food.
- It is more beneficial if you can drink it warm.
In Kerala, the land of ayurveda, jeera water is a regular drink in many of the houses. Instead of drinking just boiled water, a bit of jeera is added to the water, bringing good flavour and health.
For a medicinal drink:
- Add 1 tsp. of jeera to 1 glass of water and boil it well.
- Strain the cumin seeds and drink the water.
- For intestinal disorders, 1 tsp. of lime juice can be added to the water as well.
Do you drink jeera water?See results without voting
The information provided in this article is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician or health care provider before taking any home remedies.
More by this Author
Find out the wonderful health benefits of the herb Oxalis Corniculata - Puliyarila.
Learn about this magic herb called kizha nelli (Phyllanthus niruri) and its wonderful uses.
Thinking of adding flax seed to your diet? Find out about the various health benefits of flax seeds, and information about how to use them.