Easy Ways You Can Improve Your Health
When you think of your health what do you think about? I know for many people it is how often they get sick, or what their blood pressure is. There is so much more to it though. There are many aspects of your health including your physical fitness level, your cholesterol, blood pressure, etc, as well as your mental health and how stressful your life is. When was the last time you thought about improving these areas of your life?
As the New Year approaches I have been thinking of ways a person can improve their health - all aspects of it. Here are some ideas that I plan on incorporating into my life.
- Drink more water. Hydration is a key to staying healthy.
- Improve your posture. Bad posture can zap your energy as well as hurt your back.
- Don't fry foods. Saute, bake, broil or grill, but whatever you do quit frying foods. Although not all oils are bad for you, heating them to the high temperatures needed for frying pretty much takes all the good stuff right out of it.
- Eat more fruit and vegetables. I have to really think about this one sometimes because it doesn't come naturally to me, but eating more fruit and veggies has certainly never harmed anyone.
- Eat more real food. Skip the processed stuff and stick with the basics. I almost never buy frozen or boxed foods - these things are loaded with artificial preservatives and ingredients as well as way too much sodium. The fewer ingredients and the closer to its natural source the better.
- Exercise more. This doesn't have to be one big workout session a day, but can be squeezed in wherever you can fit it. Exercise is very good for your physical health as well as your mental health. Exercising causes our bodies to release endorphins that can improve your mood and I have found that my entire outlook on life is improved when I make time for exercise.
- Learn to say "no". We are all just too busy and are pulled in way too many directions. Figure out your priorities and learn to say "no" to things that don't fit in with your priorities. This will take some analyzing to figure out what is important to you and some guts to say no to some people, but you will feel so much freer when you take that step. I can't tell you the weight lifted off my shoulders when I finally said no to a daily commitment that had stressed me out for way too long.
- Re-evaluate the way you spend your time. Look at your schedule - even those once a month commitments - and decide if it is causing you stress each time or if you really enjoy it. I was on a committee for three years that in the beginning I really enjoyed. But as time went on and the people on the committee changed I realized that it took way more mental energy than it should to force myself to go each month. It was such a relief when I finally stepped down from that committee.
- Avoid people that cause you negative feelings. I have some "friends" that really bring me down. It can be because they complain nonstop, do nothing but talk about themselves, or put you down. Whatever the reason if you find that you don't enjoy being around someone - stop being around them. Yes I know this is easier said than done sometimes, but take the steps and you will feel better about yourself. If you normally run into them somewhere, change the time or day you go. If you meet them every week, start finding reasons that it doesn't work for you. Put some distance between you and this person or thing that is bringing you down and you will be happier in general.
- Find time each day or week to do something you really like. Have you always wanted to learn to knit? Take a class. Love to read? Join a book club. Whatever is important to you - start making the time for it and your mental health will be greatly improved.
Make time right now for your health and your whole body will benefit. Good luck!
More by this Author
One of the best ways to be frugal in the kitchen is to make your own foods. Don't use all of the prepackaged products available all over the grocery store. Just walking down the baking aisle will show you dozens of...
We live during a time when we can get exactly what we want, when we want it. With the ability to ship goods throughout the world, most countries have access to fruits and vegetables that they would not have otherwise....
I recently had a very serious nail infection and I am hoping that my experience will help other people. What started as a fun weekend at a local water park ended in two surgeries and a hospital stay. Nail infections,...