What are the Negative Effects of Fast Food
We are in a habit of eating or munching food while performing routine tasks. Most of us are careless about the type of food, timing, size and the portion of it we are consuming. In this way we keep on eating things that are not healthy. According to a recent survey eating between the meals have been increased among people of all ages. Chips, pretzels, crackers, fries and bread are some of the very common between the meals snacks(especially while people are at work). These savory, flavorful and tangy food have one thing in common they have their unique taste which is quite enough to make you addict to them. Fast food as they are they have zero caloric value: no vitamins, minerals, protein or fiber. This makes them poor for every organ of our body. Regardless of their nutritional value we enjoy them. people generally have a belief that snacks means only that food which is good on their taste buds. Snacks means much more than that. Having a healthy snack that is less in carbohydrates and more in other nutrients can fulfill your appetite making you feel less hungry and you will be able to cut down the regular meals in quantity. For this purpose you have to adapt healthy eating habits and there are several possible solutions for this.
- Fast food is ready-to-cook and we are so busy that we cannot make something rather we prefer to eat ready-made food.
- Fast food is tasty to eat and our taste buds like them because either they have loads of salt and spice or else sugar.
- They are usually presented in colorful and presentable packaging which increase the appetite.
- They are easy to carry along because of the packaging.
- Eating fast food is still regarded as fashion in some societies.
- Some people do not have knowledge of the negative effects of fast food on our health.
- Fast food is marketed everywhere and fast food restaurants are readily available in every locality that is why people go for it.
Types of Junk Food:
- Fast Food:
Fast food includes burgers, pizzas, fries, chips, noodles and pasta, and fish. These food have been processed and refined in such a way that they loss most of the key nutrients and they are zero in fiber as well as they have poor water content.
- Problems caused by Fast Food: Fast food are poor on digestive tract because to digest food in mouth and stomach we need enzymes and fast food does not have them when food is absorbed by the intestine it again needs enzymatic activity and lastly when it is in large intestine it needs fiber and water to excrete but they don't have such nutrients.
Snacks are another type of fast food which include chips, pretzels, chocolates, sweets, ice creams, sweets, biscuits and crisps. These are also highly processed but along with that they contain a lot of additives, preservatives and artificial colors. Most of the people do not have knowledge about either there presence or else their harmful effects.
- Problems caused by Snacks: Due to the presence of wide variety of additives and preservatives, there are chances of many health related risks by eating unhealthy snacks too often. These additives are synthetic product which body can not digest and in poor quality biscuits and chips one can not be sure the origin of those additives etc. Artificial colors are another very dangerous ingredients of these foods.
- Soft Drinks:
Soft drinks include coke, Pepsi, sprite, fanta, lemonade and other these type of cold drinks with different brand names. They contain high content of sugar, and color too.
- Problems caused by Soft Drinks: Soft drinks contain sugar and color. Presence of sugar in high quantity means that they are not healthy for diabetic patients and frequently drinking soft drinks can also become a cause of diabetes too. Presence of color is another big problem except sprite and 7up all other soft drink contain color which is not healthy for us.
Some people say that margarine is also junk food as it is hydrogenated and during this process the natural oil changes from its natural state to an artificial one and they prefer butter on margarine. Butter though rich in saturated fats is low in trans-fat and has many other nutrients too.
- Problems Caused by Margarine: Moderate use of margarine should be done if not possible to avoid it all together. Margarine contains many trans-fat and hence it causes coronary diseases as well as increases risk of cancer and many other diseases.
The A to Z of Junk Food
Marketing of Junk Food:
Junk food is marketed in such a way that people could not easily avoid eating it. In general 60 % of the ads on the media is about junk food. If you watch TV for one or two hours with an intent to see how much ads are of junk food you will find that most of the ads are of fast food chains (Pizza Hut, Mc Donald and KFC), children cereals, processed frozen food, soft drinks, processed juices and cans, candies and many more. As we see more and more ads related to junk food daily we get more attracted towards it. There are very few programs on media regarding the negative effects of junk food on health. A kid who grows watching stuff related to unhealthy food here and there would always think positive for it and the result is in front of us. More than 50 % of American children are obese and the rate of obesity is increasing in other countries too.
What Does Junk Food Contain:
Junk food does not have nutritional benefits. The reason is that it is a processed food and the processing has been done in such a way that all nutrients have been lost. So what else junk food contains? It contains sugar and the sugar is not fructose which is found in vegetables and fruits and which is readily digested in body. This sugar is of inferior quality and can increase risks of heart diseases and obesity. It contains fats especially LDL (Low Density Lipo-protein) which is bad cholesterol. Many drinks contain caffeine and cola which also have adverse effects on health. It is low in fiber and water so there is nothing beneficial in it.
General Effects of Junk Food on Health:
Obesity: Obesity is associated with every type of junk food. The main reason is the absence of fiber, high amount of high-fat calories and low quality cholesterol. Which may cause obesity as well as increase risks of heart diseases. Many studies suggest that frequent consumption of soft drinks and other junk food is strongly related with children obesity. Soda drinks which are high in sugar and other calories is low in nutrition and this has been a proved fact that it causes obesity. Though soft drinks companies do not agree with it and say that their are multitude of facts that cause obesity and drinking soda is not the only reason behind it but comparative studies between kids who drink soda in schools and those who do not drink proved that soft drink consumption is increasing obesity in young boys and girls.
Tooth Decay: Tooth decay is also caused by the extreme use of junk food in diet. Most of the fast food chains and sweetened juices, soft drinks and other processed food companies use low quality fats, sugar and high amount of salt in the processing of food. This can cause problems with teeth. Tooth decay has become very common in young children and the possible reason could be the use of these type of foods.
More by this Author
Almost two third of all pregnant women go through decreased appetite during pregnancy. There is nothing very serious to worry about it but it is really a matter of concern if your caloric and other nutritional...
Food additives are added to food to preserve them, to improve taste or to impart color and appearance. Some form of food additives are in use from time immemorial. Sometimes the use of additives can not be ignored...
Garment Manufacturing Garment manufacturers are primarily engaged in the design, cutting and sewing of garments from fabric. Some manufacturers are contractors or subcontractors, which generally manufacture apparel...