Facial exercises to firm up your skin
I think SMILING is the best facial exercise!
If you stroll around Barnes and Noble's beauty section you will find that quite a few books have been published on facial exercises- everything from how to lose your chicken neck to contradictory side that facial exercises make aging lines appear worse! With all of the information that these books provide, and the contradictory stance that they have, how do you know what it right?
There are 44 muscles in the face, so it is not odd to believe that moving them and exercising them will change your face to a degree. One book told me instructed me to push my fingertips up and against the brow bone to lift my eye area. Another book told me to pucker up in an exaggerated kiss while holding back the skin at the corners of the mouth, promising this action would give me fuller lips and better cheekbones.
In the other hand, there were books which told me not to exercise these facial muscles that, in fact, it is the exercising of these muscles during everyday living that has contributed to the little lines showing up in the first place. These books told me that repeated movement of my eyes over time is what has caused my crowfeet and all my laughing is what actually glad me the laugh lines. The books called for as little extra movement as possible.
So how can we decide what is right? I say, try the exercises out- doctors say that laugh line and crowfeet and a result of the skin, not the muscles, so actually exercising the muscles won't hurt (but they suggest not pulling too hand on the skin), and may over time actually make winkles appear less because the muscles underneath are stronger. I still think smiling is the best exercise you can do!
Some say daily exercises such as these will lead to firmer skin over time. It is suggested that each pose it held for 30 second and repeated 10 times.
Here are several exercise to try, and decide for yourself:
- Place your index fingers just above your eyes and pull down while trying to raise your eyebrows, hold for 30 seconds and repeat 10 times.
- Raise your lower eyelids without moving your upper ones, hold for 30 seconds and repeat 10 times.
- Push your lips out and make a round shape, stretching forward, now smile as wide as possible, hold for 10 seconds, than resume the round shape and hold for 30 seconds, repeat 10 times.
- Suck on your finger as hard as possible for 30 seconds and then slowly remove it, repeat 10 times.
- Hide your teeth with your lips and then make a small 'O' shape, keeping the lips as tense as possible smile as wide as possible, hold for 30 seconds and repeat 10 times.
Neck and Chin
- Looking straight ahead place the index finger and thumb on your neck and gently pull the skin down as you lift your head, hold for 30 seconds and repeat 10 times.
- Keeping your mouth closed and your teeth together press the tip of your tongue against the bottom of your lower teeth, gradually increasing the pressure to the count of 10, hold for 6, and slowly release. At the same time, use 2 fingers at the hollow of your neck as resistance, gently pressing in, repeat 10 times.
- Jut your lower lip out as far as possible, place your fingers on your collarbone and point your chin as high as possible and then pull the corners of your mouth down, hold for 30 seconds and repeat 10 times.
- Place your thumb behind the bone just under your chin, press tongue against your lower gums and pretend to touch your tongue to your thumb, hold for 30 seconds and repeat 10 times.
- Tighten your chin muscle as firm as you can by pushing your lower lip up and out as though pouting. Tighten as hard as you can so chin turns white and dimpled. hold for 30 seconds and repeat 10 times.
- Begin looking straight ahead with your chin level. Turn your head to the right so that it is even with your right shoulder and then push your head backwards. Hold 6-8 seconds. Return head to forward position with chin level. Turn your head to the left, even with your left shoulder, hold for 30 seconds and repeat 10 times.
More by this Author
How does having a urinary tract infection affect your ability to run? What precautions should you take, and when should you see a doctor?
It is summertime! Rather than dread putting your butt in a bikini, work to get it in shape. The following exercise will help decrease the size of your butt and get it tone! And ladies, don't be afraid of your shape-...
Most of us at some point will have to deal with dark circles under our eyes. Whether it be due to stress, lack of sleep, a hang-over, or just from ageing. The good news is that there are a lot of simple at-home ways to...