Facts About Your Skin - The Largest Organ in Your Body
Resources for Healthy Skin
- American Cancer Society
Information and Resources for Cancer
- Ask a Health Question
Are you looking for tips on getting healthy? DO you suffer from a medical condition? Are you trying to lose weight and get into shape? Ask an Expert any health related question and get an answer.
- The Skin Cancer Foundation
Information on skin cancer, how to prevent, how to detect and what to do if you suspect you may have it.
- ACS Skin Cancer Facts
Facts about Skin Cancer, Knowledge can save lives.
- Remove Skin Tags
Remove moles, warts and skin tags in as little as 3 days.
- Cure Store
Find natural and herbal products for health, weight-loss,lifestyle,skin care and fitness.
10 Little Fun Facts About Your Skin
- 1. Your skin is made up of 3 main layers.
- 2. Your skin is considered the largest organ in the human body.
- 3. Your skin is made up of three major layers - epidermis, dermis, and hypodermis (also called the subcutaneous tissue).
- 4. Your skin protects your inside organs while keeping infections out and prevents you from getting sick.
- 5. Your skin loses about 30,000 to 40,000 dead skin cells from the surface almost every minute, even though you do not see it happening.
- 6. Your skin sheds a layer of these dead cells every 24 hours and renews itself about every 28 days.
- 7. Your skin swells when it absorbs water.
- 8. Your skin contains a protein called keratin which is also found in hair and nails
- 9. Your skin is the thinnest on the eyelid.
- 10. Goose bumps are actually little pimples that help retain a layer of warm air over our body.
What skin cancer may look like:
HAVE YOURSELF CHECKED OUT TODAY!
These fun skin facts are interesting to read and learn. With skin being the largest organ of the body, it is important to know that skin cancer is ever increasing in numbers. The two most common skin cancers are basal cell and squamous cell carcinoma. Basal Cell Cancer accounts for more than 90% of skin cancers in the U.S. Melanoma is usually the most serious form of skin cancer because of its tendency to spread throughout the body quickly. Although skin cancer is more prevalent in light colored skin; it is important for ALL people to take it seriously. There are many characteristics and appearances of what a skin cancer looks like. It may appear as a flat red spot that is rough or scaly or an undefined area that appears.
More by this Author
Ecstasy is a drug that has become quite common in use among teenagers. Ecstasy is a man-made drug, generally manufactured in illegal home laboratories, which can make it extremely dangerous because you never know what...
Rhythm and blues (also known as R and B or RnB) is a popular music genre combining jazz, gospel, and blues influenced by African American artists. This popular genre of music was produced and supported mostly by black...