Favorite Quotes by Albert Einstein
The Man Behind The Quotations
Born March 14, 1879, in Ulm, Germany, Albert Einstein became an independent scholar of physics after his formal education. In the early 1900s he developed the special and general theories of relativity. He went on to win the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1921 for his explanation of the photoelectric effect. Einstein is still generally considered the most influential physicist of the 20th century.
More Than E=MC2
1) "There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle."
Nobody's perfect, as you will find out if you read other biographies. Albert Einstein had his faults, as do we all. You cannot help but marvel at the profound wisdom of the above quotation. It is a choice, and one that has the power of great inspiration. How are you choosing?
2) "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
We know this yet over and over again we get stuck in our decision making habits. We hold onto our familial, cultural, environmental or educational conditioning that brings us to the point in life where we must change our way of thinking or we are doomed to repeating our failures leading only to misery.
3) "A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
Perhaps for me the single most important lesson in my life was to learn and acknowledge that I wasn't special; I wasn't different; I was and am connected not only to a world, but also a universe. When I permit my ego to see me as separate, I have lost my connection to the universal truth of oneness and it weakens me. I have effectively separated my self from the source of all being? I then have much less to offer my fellow man.
4) "It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge."
One of my favorite professions is teaching. No, I'm not a teacher, at least in the traditional sense. But I hold a great admiration for those who not only love to teach, but love to impart the art and science of learning in such a way as to make the student think it was their idea in the first place. As a child, and in many cases since then, teachers have been remembered with greater esteem than politicians, businessmen and other professionals, simply because of the impact in our lives. Who doesn't remember their first grade teacher or the high school teacher who encouraged to do something no one else thought you could? I do! Thank you Mrs. Smith and Mr. Grandizio!
5) "The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."
Who says Genius' don't have a sense of humor? If it weren't for time, according to this quote, the comedy of circumstances that I call my life would more resemble the big bang theory. Oh how that would have changed my religion! How about you? Imagine all of your life events happening at the same time! Hysterical, yes? Okay, maybe not, but you get the point.
Original Footage of Albert Einstein
Check your knowledge of Einstein
More by this Author
A pictorial essay connecting the art, practice and effect of gratitude with the incredible joy and experience of happiness!
Self talk is an oft made declaration that plays over and over again. It may be a belief, a value or an inadvertent phrase, intentionally or unintentionally learned or adopted that either becomes a force that propels us...
Perception is a crazy thing and it applies to every area of life we know, including our idea of a real man. Everyone has an opinion of what a real man is or should look like. Here are a few thoughts on the subject....