Feeling Unproductive in Writing
I've been sitting here staring at this blank page wondering what to write about. I'd set a goal for myself today and I haven't failed yet, as the day is not over. But then it hit me. Writing an article on feeling unproductive in writing. I don't get this feeling often. But when it does hit me I kind of feel beaten down. Or maybe my mind is just totally worn out. Who knows.
So what do you do when you are feeling unproductive in your writing? Do you scour news articles, watch t.v., or get up and walk away for a little while? Well mostly I watch reality television and then write on my blogs and make fun of them. As I like critic type of writing the best. I like to use news articles to find topics to voice my opinions on certain issues, Or I literally just have to walk away from the computer and come back in a few hours after my mind has cleared.
I'm sure we all face the feeling of being unproductive in our lives. Weather it be in writing, life, household etc. But what you do about getting the task complete is what I'm interested in.
Now I'm sure I'm just feeling lazy today in writing and housework because I had a huge day yesterday. I've been making it a habit to write at least two hubs or more a day and yesterday I wrote nothing at all. As I spent the day out with the girls in Marietta at White Water. Riding slides swimming etc. It was fun, but it took the life right out of me! And I'm still feeling the effects of it today. So I feel I'm believing that I'm blaming my lack of writing on that.
I've learned a few things in my quest to become a writer and dealing with the unproductive feeling.
1) Just stop and take stock : When you feel like the day is running away from you just shut it all down. Turning off the computer and just walking away could be one of the best solutions for you. Take a minute to go grab a snack and maybe think about what it is that's keeping you from writing the best Hub you can. Then sit down when it's right and start all over.
2) Don't think about everything that you could be writing about. Just pick one! Start off easy. Maybe jot down one or two or a hundred things that you want to write about and just pick one for the moment and write your heart out. Even if you only write about that one thing all day long, make sure it is the one thing that will make you feel the most fulfilled for the rest of your day.
3) Spend an hour focusing on that one project. Writing a great and effective Hub/article comes with the knowledge of knowing the topic you are writing about, right? Well take that hour to gather all the information you are going to need to make that Hub/article really shine. Maybe set a timer to help you get to that one hour mark. Everything else can wait til that hour is up.
4) If you are really serious about wanting to make it a great Hub then get rid of all your surrounding distractions. When you are going to take the time to write, shut off the t.v., close the doors, turn off the phones and just isolate yourself. It's the best way to get the job done in some cases. I know there are times when I have to just be left alone and there are others when I could write in a crowded room.
5) Challenge yourself to be productive. If you have a goal to write so much in one day then challenge yourself to get that writing done. I know I like to try and do at least two hubs a day. So the first thing I do when I get home from work in the morning is I get started. This works for me because I'm actually excited to come home and write. As writing is a passion of mine. But find something in your day to day routine that is going to challenge you to sit and do the job to the best of your abilities.
I've found that these 5 tips have helped me when the feeling of being unproductive (like today) have hit me hard.
Hope they to can help you be the best you can be in your Hub/article writing journey.
More by this Author
And get paid to have fun? Well you've stopped at the right hub to find out how you can become a Gold Canyon Fragrance consultant as soon as tonight! The Gold Canyon business opportunity is an opportunity so flexible...
This is truly a very easy pizza bake to make. I hate to be in the kitchen for long amounts of time, so any recipe that I can find that requires little to no effort is a plus in my book!
The Chinese have given a beautiful and very convincing theory as to why the wedding ring should go on the fourth finger. As the story goes: Look at your left hand, the hand that your wedding ring goes on, and do you...