Five Tips to Cure Bad Breath or Halitosis
Bad breath largely affects a person’s social life; I am sure majority of the population would accept this fact. Bad breath is definitely a serious problem and should be dealt with as early as possible. Mouth odor or bad breath is often the cause of bad oral health. Are there ways to get rid of bad breath? Yes…here are five tips to cure halitosis.
1. Dry mouth: Dry mouth or Xerostomia is often one of the major causes of bad breath. Have you ever wondered why your mouth stinks early in the morning? It is because when you sleep in the night, saliva production is less and this causes dry mouth. Is saliva very important? Yes…it is the saliva that helps removing unwanted bacteria from our mouth. As a preventive measure, you may
a. try chewing gums; chewing gums doesn’t guarantee you an increase in saliva production, but it helps you keep your mouth fresh by stimulating saliva production.
b. consult with your medical practitioner as this could be due to various dental problems like decayed tooth.
2. Pungent smelling foods: Foods that have pungent odor or smell is also one of the causes of halitosis. These foods include garlic, onion, etc. Does this mean you must avoid these food items from your menu? No…you can eat these food items, but ensure that you:
a. wash your mouth with a mouthwash.
b. try chewing mint leaves or chewing gums.
c. brush your teeth immediately after consumption of these pungent smelling foods.
3. Less intake of water: When the water intake is reduced bacteria stays in our mouth and this causes bad breath. Make sure you drink adequate water to wash off the bacteria present in the mouth. Drinking water will also keep you hydrated.
4. Ketone breath: Does this sound something weird? Ketone breath, what is it? Majority of the population who are on a diet tend to avoid food items that are rich in carbohydrates with a misconception that it will make them gain weight rather losing weight. What happens when you eat either avoids carbohydrate-rich food or consumes them less? Our body requires energy to perform various tasks and for which it will start to use the fat stored in the body rather using carbohydrates. In such an instance, ketones are formed. There is every possibility of these ketones getting released through the mouth causing ketone breath. Ketones smell terrible causing bad breath or halitosis. Make sure you eat a balanced diet and stop avoiding any particular group of food items.
5. Improper oral hygiene: Apart from the causes mentioned above, improper oral hygiene plays a vital role when it comes to bad breath. To maintain good oral hygiene, do the following:
- Brush your teeth twice a day.
- Remove the bacteria deposited using floss.
- There might be bacteria deposited in the tongue; brush your tongue to remove them or use a tongue scraper and clean these bacteria.
- Rinse your mouth with plain water after every meal.
Follow this simple halitosis cure and get rid of bad breath.
More by this Author
Stress, isn’t this one of the latest buzzword? The universal truth is that each and every individual is affected by stress in one way or the other. There are so many factors or reasons behind stress. To...