Foods That Help Diverticulosis
What is Diverticulosis?
It is a condition that occurs when weak spots form into pockets in the walls of your large intestines and/or colon. This condition is caused by high pressure in the colon. Unfortunately no one is absolutely sure what really causes diverticulosis, although doctors are now beginning to believe that it is caused by having a diet low in fiber.
Because there are little or no symptoms many people have no idea they have it. The symptoms may include abdominal cramps, bloating or constipation. Many doctors recommend that you eat 25 to 30 grams of fiber per day to help prevent complications such as diverticulitis. Unfortunately your chance of developing this disease increases after the age of 40.
When starting any new eating habits it is always best to ease into the diet. Adding too much fiber to your diet all at once could make you gassy, bloated and uncomfortable. Make sure you add a little fiber at a time.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 can (28oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 12 oz whole grain spaghetti
- Heat olive oil in large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic and bell pepper and cook until onion become transparent, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and Italian Seasoning. Reduce to low heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Begin cooking spaghetti bout 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve sauce over cooked pasta and enjoy.
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 66 g||22%|
|Fiber 13 g||52%|
|Protein 32 g||64%|
|Cholesterol 31 mg||10%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
High Fiber Food to Include in Your Diet
- whole grain pasta
- whole grain cereal
- brown rice
- green beans
- green pepper
- snap beans
- pole beans
- kidney beans
- black beans
- navy beans
- lima beans
- pinto beans
- split peas
- sweet potato
- turnip greens
- stewed prunes
- cottage cheese
Foods to Avoid
- raw vegetables
- iceburg lettuce
- fried foods
- red meat
- white bread
- chili peppers
The Institute of Medicine Says I need to Eat How Much Fiber?
- Chilren - Up to 16 years old - 10 grams + 1 gram per year of life
- Women - 1-50 years - 30 grams
- Women - 50+ years - 21 grams
- Men - 16-50 years - 38 grams
- Men - 50+ years - 30 grams
- 10 Best Ways to Get Fiber in your Diet
Dietary fiber is something that we need to have in our diets especially as we get older. That’s because fiber does a lot of really important things for the body and can help to prevent certain diseases that may impact us as we age. The main...
- DIETARY FIBRE HELPS PREVENT DIVERTICULAR DISEASE
DIVERTICULAR DISEASE When we think of any type of disease related to our digestive system, you have to remember how important and absolutely necessary it is to have fibre in our diets. This story came about after a diagnosis of DIVERTICULITIS. I...
- What is Fiber and Why is Fiber Important in our Diet...
FIBER, photo By campusguy, source Photobucket - Why is fiber important? What Is Fiber and Why is Fiber Important? Most people know that fiber is important in your diet mainly because fiber makes you regular. There is nothing more annoying or...
More by this Author
Every color has it's own special meaning. Have you ever wondered what makes a hospital paint their walls a cool green? Read and find out.
We all need an inspirational or motivational thought to help us through a hard time every now and then. There are many positive thoughts out there. Come on in, you are sure to find one just for you.
Baby showers are fun and full of promise. A special gift at this time is especially appreciated.