Foods high in magnesium
Magnesium is a mineral essential for proper functioning of the human body. Magnesium is needed for regulation of blood sugar, nerve and muscle function, healthy immune system, strong bones, regualtion of body temperature and energy metabolism. Below you will find some of the foods high in magnesium.
Daily requirements of magnesium:
1-3 years old: 80 milligrams
4-8 years old: 130 milligrams
9-13 years old: 240 milligrams
14-18 years old (boys): 410 milligrams
14-18 years old (girls): 360 milligrams
Adult females: 310 milligrams
Adult males: 400 milligrams
Pregnancy: 360-400 milligrams
Breastfeeding women: 320-360 milligrams
List of foods high in magnesium:
1. Grains and grain products: Grains are packed with tons of magnesium and other important nutrients. Choose grains such as such as barley, oat bran, wheat flour, brown rice and buckwheat.
2. Legumes: Legumes contains high amounts of magnesium. Some of the legumes include soybeans, kidney beans, pinto beans, baked beans, black beans, white beans, lima beans, navy beans. For example 1 cup of black beans contains 120 mg of magnesium.
3. Vegetables: Green leafy vegetables are high in magnesium such as artichokes, spinach, kale, beet greens, avocados, broccoli, peas and okra. For example, 1 cup of spinach contains 156 mg of magnesium. Other vegetables that are high in magnesium include sun dried tomatoes, lentils, squash, pumpkin, parsnips, plantain, sweet potatoes and tomatoes.
4. Seafoods: Fish such as halibut contain large amounts of magnesium. Half fillet of halibut contain 170 mg of magnesium. Also rockfish, oysters, tuna, shrimp, scallop and salmon are packed with magnesium.
5. Fruits: You can choose fruits such as bananas, dried figs, raisins, prunes, cantaloupe and citrus juices. For example one medium banana contains 34 mg of magnesium.
6.Nuts and seeds: You can eat almonds, cashews, peanuts, pine nuts and Brazil nuts. These nuts contain high amounts of magnesium. Seeds such as pumpkin, sqaush, watermelon seeds, flax and sesame seeds.
7. Herbs: Herbs are also packed with high amounts of magnesium. Some of the herbs include dried corinader, chives, spearmint, sage, basil, and savory
8. Dairy products: Milk, yogurt, chocolate milk contains magnesium.
9. Spices: Spices such as cayene, sage and paprika are packed with magnesium. Do not take large amounts of spices which maycause high blood pressure.
10.Other foods high in magnesium: Other foods that are high in magnesium include chocolate pudding, soy milk, tofu, whole grain cereal, cornmeal, dark chocolate, whole wheat bread, peanut butter and oatmeal.
More by this Author
Coumadin is a medicine prescribed for people at increased risk of forming blood clots. It reduces the formation of blood clots by blocking the formation of certain clotting factors. It is used to prevent heart...
Diarrhea is a condition of having 3 or more watery stools in a 24 hour period. The causes of diarrhea include bacterial infections, viruses, parasites, medicines, intestinal diseases and bowel disorders. Here are some...
Listed here are some of the foods you can't eat with Diverticulitis that you can use as a reference or as a starting point for more research. Diverticulitis is swelling of an abnormal pouch in the intestinal wall....