Foods to Eat & Avoid on the Candida Diet
Do you suffer from candida? Then you know it is a condition where Candida Albicans, a yeast-like organism that lives in the human body, becomes over abundant. If something happens to weaken your immune system or to destroy other candida-controlling bacteria, the yeast cells begins to multiply rapidly and become like weeds in a garden, smothering out the good growth and causing numerous problems.
Natural Colon Cleansing
- Oral Thrush Symptoms and Treatment
Those that are familiar with oral thrush understand the frustration and inconvenience of mouth infection. Oral thrush is actually one of many conditions that are caused by the candida yeast fungus. This...
Treatment of Candida
Traditional physicians normally do not recognize candida, but do treat its symptoms. They might give you antifungal medications for oral thrush or antacids for gas but most do not treat the underlying cause of those conditions. The problem with this path of action is that the candida doesn't go away and the symptoms soon return.
Naturopathic physicians, however, have had success treating Candida with dietary changes, probiotics, vitamins and herbal supplements. These actions result in restoring a healthy bacterial balance in your body and greatly reduce or eliminate your Candida symptoms.
The Candida Diet
One of the first suggestions many holistic physicians make when candida is suspected is to begin an eating program that literally kills the Candida Albicans by starving it of its food sources.
The Candida Diet and Catabolism
Foods to Avoid on the Candida Diet
Candida thrives on certain foods. In order to regain control of your digestive system, there are some foods you should avoid consuming entirely and others you should strictly limit. The foods you need to temporarily eliminate from your Candida diet include:
- Refined sugars, including white and brown sugars, maple syrup, corn syrup, honey, molasses, date sugar, maple sugar, sorghum, rice syrup, demerrara and amasake. Look for hidden sources of these sugars by reading labels on prepared foods. Watch out for words like sucrose, glucose, lactose, and sorbitol
- Fruits contain natural sugars and should be avoided in all forms, including fresh, frozen, canned, dried and juiced
- Yeasts found in breads, bagels, pastries, crackers and muffins
- Gluten products such as wheat, rye and barley
- All types of vinegar and foods that contain vinegar such as ketchup, salad dressings, steak sauce, barbecue sauce, mayonnaise, relishes, horseradish, green olives, soy sauce, shrimp sauce, pickles, mustard and chili sauce.
- Mushrooms or other fungi. Candida is a fungus and thrives on other fungus.
- Alcohol is a form of sugar and encourages the growth of yeast. Avoid it in all forms, including beer, wine, whiskey, brandy, scotch, gin, vodka, rum and all liqueurs
- Aged Cheeses, Processed Cheeses, Moldy Cheeses
- Dried, Pickled, Processed and Smoked Meats such as bacon, hot dogs, sausages, bologna and other sandwich meats, smoked salmon, pickled herring, corned beef, salami and pastrami
- Refined, Packaged and Processed Foods that contain chemicals, preservatives, refined sugars, yeasts, refined flours and food colorings. This includes all sodas, including diet.
- Black Tea, Coffee, Root Beer and Cider and any Caffeinated Beverages
- Peanuts, Peanut Butter and Pistachios are sometimes contaminated with mold, which feeds candida
- Chlorinated Tap Water because chlorine kills beneficial bacteria that help control the growth of Candida Albicans
- Vegetables to avoid include canned tomatoes, potato skins, cucumber skins, carrots and prepared soups
Foods You Need to Limit on the Candida Diet
These foods should only be consumed in limited quantities:
- Cow's milk in all forms, including butter and yogurt unless the yogurt is organic skim yogurt made with live probiotic bacteria
Foods You Can Eat on the Candida Diet
- Meat, Poultry, Eggs and Fish Choose fresh, lean proteins, not canned, dried or pickled
- Legumes Fresh or frozen split peas, chick peas, black-eyed peas, lentils, soybeans, soy flakes or garbanzo beans
- Vegetables fresh or frozen including broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, celery, green peppers, radishes, peas, arugula spinach, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, parsley
- Bakery Products and Grains should not contain yeast or sugar and should be whole grain. Acceptable choices include whole wheat flour, corn chips, buckwheat flour, undegerminated corn meal, wild rice, brown rice, tortillas made from brown, corn or whole wheat, unsweetened rice cakes or crackers
- Dairy products you may choose are almond milk, unsweetened soy milk, plain yogurt containing acidophilus culture. You may have a small portion of Swiss or mozzarella cheese only occasionally.
- Beverages include distilled water, almond milk, unsweetened Taheebo Pau d'Arco tea
- Seasonings and Condiments are salt, pepper, fresh garlic, herbs and onions, unfermented soy sauce, unsweetened chicken broth
- Nuts and Seeds include cashews, almonds, brazil, pecans, poppy, pumpkin, pine, sunflower and sesame
- Fruits Choose grapefruit, strawberries, lemon, lime or apple, fresh and unsweetened, in limited amounts
This diet is not an overnight cure. It could take 4-6 weeks to begin seeing improvement. The length of time you need to follow the diet will vary in accordance to how advanced your condition is.
During the first few days of the diet you may actually feel worse because the Candida Albicans organisms are literally fighting for their lives. Just remember, you are fighting for your health and a temporary sacrifice is well worth the effort to win the battle against candida.
More by this Author
The biggest misconception about the estrogen hormone is that it is strictly a female hormone. Men have estrogen too and it works perfectly well when in a balanced proportion with testosterone and progesterone. When the...
For those suffering from the harsh effects of estrogen dominance, the treatment choices may seem very frightening. Many of these treatments carry their own risks of dangerous side effects or are, at best, completely...
Those that are familiar with oral thrush understand the frustration and inconvenience of mouth infection. Oral thrush is actually one of many conditions that are caused by the candida yeast fungus. This infection can...