Foods you can't eat with IBS
IBS - Irritable bowel syndrome
IBS or irritable bowel syndrome is a chronic gastrointestinal disorder that causes abdominal pain, cramps, bloating, gas, irregular bowel habits, mucous in stools, sudden bouts of diarrhea and constipation. Other symptoms of IBS sometimes occur and include nausea, headache, belching, poor appetite, muscle pains, feeling full after eating, tiredness and backache. Most people can control symptoms of IBS with diet, stress management, and prescribed medications. It occurs when muscles in large intestine contract faster or slower than normal. IBS affects more in women than in men. Several terms used for IBS which include spastic colon, spastic colitis, and mucous colitis. Here are some of the foods you can't eat with IBS.
List of foods you can't eat with IBS:
1. Dairy foods: Avoid dairy foods such as whole milk, cheeses, ice cream, and milk shakes. It is better to keep a food dairy to determine how dairy products affect you. If dairy products affects you, you may have lactose intolerance. Always consult your doctor before deciding to stop dairy foods.
2. Fatty foods: Fatty foods high in fat and hard to digest in people with IBS. It causes intestinal spasms and aggravate symptoms of IBS. Avoid high fat foods such as pizza, salami, steaks, sauces, bearbecued foods and burgers. These foods contain multipe substances that stimulate the gastrointesstinal tract. Also they remain in the stomach for longer periods of time.
3. Avoid fried foods: Avoid fried foods and fatty foods including french fries, doughnuts, processed foods and margarine. Instead you can bake, sauté or boil in a pan.
4.Spicy foods: Avoid spices such as chilli powder, black pepper, cinnamon, mustard powder, cloves and nutmeg. Spicy foods may cause gas and bloating.
5. Avoid tomato rich foods: Avoid tomato rich foods such as pasta sauces, tomato soups and tomato juice.
6. Sorbitol: Avoid foods that contain sorbitol such as artificial sweetners, sugarless chewing gum and diet drinks. Also foods that contain high fructose corn syrup such as honey, and raisins. These foods may aggravate the gastrointestinal tract and cause bloating, gas and diarrhea.
7.Avoid wheat products: Another food to avoid for ibs is wheat. Wheat is found in bread, pasta, cereals, cakes and biscuits. It can cause stomach bloating, cramps, gas and constipation. Fiber is an important part of your diet, but you should consume it in moderation.
8. Breads and cereals: People with IBS may consume these foods in smaller amounts such as multigrain bread, whole grain bread, whole garin cereal, bagels and sourdough bread.
9. Gaseous foods: Eat these vegetables in moderation such as beans, cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflwer, broccoli, celery and carrots. Some people with IBS may feel an abdominal discomfort after eating more fiber in their diet. Too much fiber can cause gas in people with IBS.
10. Big meals: Big meals may be difficult for your system to digest. This may cause cramping and diarrhea. Instead eat 6 smaller meals throughout the day.
11 Fruits: Eat apples and grapes in moderation if you have IBS. These fruits may aggravate symptoms of ibs.
12. Medicines: Medicines contain caffeine may worsen symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
13. Oils: Avoid hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils. Use healthy oils such as canola oil and olive oil.
14. Refined foods: Avoid refined foods found in all purpose flour, sponge cake, ice cream, jam, pastries, doughnuts, chocolates and muffins.
15. Beverages: Avoid beverages that can irritate your bowel such as alcohol, coffee, decaffeinated coffee, tea and soft drinks.
16. Stress: Stress may also trigger symptoms of IBS. Some people may experience cramps when they are upset or nervous. Talk to your health care provider about ways to deal with stress. Some of the ways include meditation, stress reduction training, regular exercises such as walking and yoga.
Steps to cure IBS without drugs:
More by this Author
Acid reflux Acid reflux or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a condition in which acid in the stomach rises up into the esophagus. Acid reflux can cause heartburn and other symptoms. Acid reflux...
Diarrhea is a condition of having 3 or more watery stools in a 24 hour period. The causes of diarrhea include bacterial infections, viruses, parasites, medicines, intestinal diseases and bowel disorders. Here are some...
Listed here are some of the foods you can't eat with Diverticulitis that you can use as a reference or as a starting point for more research. Diverticulitis is swelling of an abnormal pouch in the intestinal wall....