Foods you can't eat with braces
Orthodontic devices are used to straighten the teeth or reposition the teeth. Sometimes they can be used to adjust underlying bone. The ideal age for starting orthodontic treatment is between ages 3 to 12 years. Teeth can be moved by removable appliances or by fixed braces. Dental braces are fitted by an orthodontist or a dentist.
Types of braces:
- Stainless steel braces
- Ceramic braces
- Gold braces
- Lingual braces
- Invisalign dental braces
Below you will find some of the foods you can't eat with braces.
List of foods to avoid with braces:
1. Hard foods: Anything that is hard cannot be chewed with braces on. It can break brackets, loose bands or bend wires. Some of the hard foods include ice, pizza crusts, baby back ribs, corn on the cob, hard tacos, peanut brittel, bagels, french bread crust or rolls, dried fruits, chips such as tortilla chips and cheetos, chicken wings and popcorn. Other foods include veggies and fruits such as carrots and apples. You can eat these foods if you cut into bite sized pieces or fully cooked. Otherwise you can avoid these foods altogether. Also remove stones from fruit (peaches and plums) before biting on them.
2. Sticky foods: Some of the sticky foods include sugar daddies, toffee, tootie rolls, gummy bears, caramels, licorice, starburst, bubble gum such as plain gum and bubblegum candies.These foods can get caught between brackets and wires.
3. Sugary foods: Sugary foods such as ice cream, cake, jelly, chocolates, doughnuts, jam, jaggery, pie, maple syrup, artificial sweetners, cream, cookies, and desserts should be avoided with braces. These foods can feed the bacteria and damage your teeth. If you do eat sugary foods once in a while, make sure to brush your teeth after eating.
4. Acidic foods: You should also avoid acidic foods with braces such as lemons and sodas.
5. Sodas and energy drinks: Avoid soft drinks such as coke and fanta. Also energy drinks such as red bull has full of sugar which can cause your teeth to decay quickly.
Do not bite on pen, pencils, and finger nails as they break parts of your braces. It is important to check with your doctor for bent or loose wires and brackets. In case of loose wire or bent, call your doctor's office immediately to arrange an appointment for repair.
More by this Author
Acid reflux Acid reflux or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a condition in which acid in the stomach rises up into the esophagus. Acid reflux can cause heartburn and other symptoms. Acid reflux...
Diarrhea is a condition of having 3 or more watery stools in a 24 hour period. The causes of diarrhea include bacterial infections, viruses, parasites, medicines, intestinal diseases and bowel disorders. Here are some...
Listed here are some of the foods you can't eat with Diverticulitis that you can use as a reference or as a starting point for more research. Diverticulitis is swelling of an abnormal pouch in the intestinal wall....