Gestational Diabetes Diagnosis and Treatment
Gestational diabetes occurs when a women is pregnant. It is a temporary condition. Dieting, insulin and exercises are important to manage gestational diabetes. About 5-7 percent of women are affected by gestational diabetes. The condition increases the blood glucose levels, which are harmful to the baby. During the pregnancy women of high risk category will have to be checked for gestational diabetes.
High risk group
• Diabetic parents and siblings
• Overweight women with a BMI of over 30
• Women of over 30 year’s age
• Women with a history of pregnancy induced urinary tract
infection or high blood pressure
• Asian Indian and Hispanic women
Gestational diabetes tests for diagnosis
The most important gestational diabetes test is the oral glucose tolerance test, which is used to check blood glucose levels. Blood glucose level is checked after fasting for eight hours. Then the patient will have to drink a sugary beverage and sugar levels are checked at an interval of one, two and three hours.
If the condition is not controlled during pregnancy, it might adversely affect the baby. The new born baby may weigh more with extra fat. This might make delivery more dangerous to the baby as well as the mother. The baby may have low blood sugar levels at birth. The baby may also have breathing problems.
Gestational diabetes treatment
Gestational diabetes treatment involves controlling of blood glucose levels during pregnancy. This can be achieved by
Advice from a dietitian is necessary. The amount of food to be eaten, what is to be eaten and at what intervals will be specified by the dietitian. The advice would be to
• Limit sweets
• Eating smaller meals and snacks more frequently
• Specific plan as to the quantity and timing of eating
carbohydrate rich food.
• Whole grain cereals
• Fruits and vegetables
Walking and swimming would be of great help in controlling blood glucose. The patient can choose physical activities to her liking.
Monitoring blood glucose levels
• Blood glucose meters will have to be used to monitor the blood sugar levels. The level is likely to come down. It is necessary to reduce the chances of getting type2 diabetes.
• Prick a finger to get a drop of blood for testing
• If the ketone levels are high the diet will have to be changed
• After the baby is born, it is necessary to check blood glucose levels.
More by this Author
Almond oil is extensively used for skin care. It will help you to get a smooth, soft and flawless skin. It is extensively used in skincare and cosmetic products.