How to Get Rid of your Herpes Cold Sores on Lips Fast
- Herpes Zoster Hides in Spine, Shingles Symptoms and Treatment
Herpes Zoster is the medical name for shingles. The virus that causes chicken pox (varicela virus) stays in the system residing near the spine. The virus is also sometimes referred to as "varicela...
- Treatment of Dyshidrotic Eczema and Possible Causes of Dyshidrosis
All eczema can cause psychological pain and social distress, and, as a result, it is a condition that is often self-treated because of embarrassment. When a patient finally visits a doctor, a skin condition...
Awareness Information is No Substitute for a Doctor's Care
Cold sores, also called fever blisters, present an annoying problem from the standpoint of their unpredictable breakout pattern and the eyesore (no pun intended) they create.
There are two herpes virus's that cause herpes type sore outbreaks. Herpes Simplex (HSV1) is responsible for outbreaks of lesions mainly on the lips (they also can develop on cheeks or nostrils), while Herpes Simplex2 (HSV2) is responsible for genital herpes.
Treatments for both conditions do not cure the problem. Rather, they help make the duration time of the sores be shorter and the severity less. In both instances medicine must be applied at the first sign of an eruption (tingling sensation or beginning of a blister). This article will focus on Herpes Simplex1 and cold sores of the mouth.
The literature on the subject frequently describes the beginning of a cold sore as eliciting a "tingling sensation" near the mouth. It is at this time that anti-viral medicine for cold sores should be taken. This is important as a fever blister is something one is usually very self-conscious about. Facial outbreaks are hard to hide. It is a difficult problem to handle in the work a day world. Most cold sores last anywhere from 10 to 14 days. Complete healing is required to prevent the spread of the virus through contact.
The following are medicines commonly prescribed by physicians for cold sores: acyclovir 5% cream (zovirax), penciclovir 1% cream (denavir), famciclovir (famvir), valacyclovir (valtrex), and oral acyclovir. These medicines actually work against the Herpes Simplex1 virus.
As is the case with most skin eruptions, cold sores can dry up, crack, and then bleed. Vaseline can be used to keep the scab or crust moist so it doesn't crack.
There are other things the individual can do to alleviate the pain and duration of the fever blisters. Applying ice wrapped in a washcloth for not longer than 10-15 minutes to the area can reduce pain. Washing hands after touching a sore can help prevent the spread of Herpes Simplex1. The most common means of transmittal is touch from fingers, kissing, or using cups or utensils that have been in contact with the virus. If sun seems to be a trigger for the cold sore, wear sunscreen when outdoors. Lip balm can be useful also.
Here are more things that a patient can do to be proactive with cold sores:
1. It has been reported that cutting a vitamin E capsule and rubbing the contents on the sore can shorten healing time. Remember to wash hands.
2. Your toothbrush can re-infect you. Upon an outbreak, get another toothbrush. When the fever blister is healed, throw that toothbrush away and get a new one.
3. Heat has been reported to reduce the pain of a cold sore.
4. For immediate relief, applying a wet tea bag to the sore has been reported effective in promoting healing and helping with pain.
5. Eating garlic in capsule form or fresh from the market can help. Garlic is a natural antiviral.
6. Witch hazel in cold compress has been reported to help.
7. Some people hasten healing by opening the blisters and draining them at the site. They claim this results in faster healing.
8. Anbesol Cold Sore Therapy is an anesthetic that can help with pain reduction.
9. Campho-Phenique can be applied to the sore by finger or sometimes an applicator included with the medicine. I have seen reports that it reduces pain, helps dry out fever blisters, and stops itching if present. Camphor Essential Oil can also be used. It is available at herb stores(herbsMD.com).
10. Rub aloe vera oil or gel on the sore.
11. Trying to cover the fever blister with makeup can actually cause more harm than good. The stuff in the makeup can irritate the lip, unnecessarily increasing the time to heal completely.
12. Licorice powder can be placed on the sore.
13. Lemon balm extract seems to help people with pain and duration.
14. Dip a cotton ball or swab in cold milk and apply it to the sore.
15. Lyscine comes as an oral supplement or cream. Eat chicken, turkey, beans, and fish.
For even more ideas for home treatment of cold sores, try http://www.health911.com/cold_sores .
Most people get their first exposure to Herpes Simplex1 as children through contact with other children or an adult who passed it along. So realize that whether there is or not, there should be no stigma to having a cold sore.
Not unlike Herpes Zoster (shingles), the Herpes Simplex1 virus also hides. But instead of hiding in the spine, it hides deep in the skin. It hides after an initial exposure to the virus from contact of some sort. When the immune system is under duress from allergy, flu, stress, etc., the virus comes out and targets the mouth area. I have read a description of its activity in the body as "hibernating" and then being "activated". There are many stressors that can give the virus an opportunity to activate itself. Each episode of cold sores tends to be less severe, until in some cases, the incidence of them may stop. There is no cure for Herpes Simplex1, and a vaccine for cold sores is not available now.
A recent study suggests that the level of infectious microorganisms in the blood stream affects memory and cognitive function of the brain. Those folks who had higher levels of herpes simplex 1 and a number of other common agents were more likely to have these problems. One possible explanation may be exposure of the brain to inflammation when the body's immune system tries to fight off these agents. Another explanation is how the brain reacts when it is exposed to infection. Amyloid (a substance found to excess in dementia patients) and heart disease have already been associated with build up of plaque in organs. Higher ongoing and past infection levels look to be possible culprits. There is, however, no study that proves an association between infection and memory loss. The best thing to know right now is that exercise does decrease inflammation.
And here is one final thought. If you are taking medicine for cold sores, make sure you do not take an herbal remedy until you check with your physician. Dangerous interactions have been noted in the literature.
- Other Skin Conditions That Look Like Genital Herpes Symptoms in Men
Impetigo, eczema, syphilis, and lichen sclerosis all have similar symptoms to those of genital herpes. Learn more about skin conditions commonly confused with genital herpes.
How do you deal with cold sores?See results without voting
- Cold Sores (HSV1) : What They Are and How To Get Rid Of Them
Cold Sores (HSV1) is a very common virus that is transmitted through contact. Read this article to learn more about Cold Sores, how to treat them, and how to help limit infecting others.
Herpesgingiva, Involvement of the Gums
- Domeboro Solution for the Treatment of Allergic Irritations of the Skin
All of us have the occasional rash, but what if you have an allergic dermatitis that results in an exudate (weeping) and blisters? There is a great preparation for that and I have found it to be most welcome...
A Cold Sore Scab
- Stages Of A Cold Sore Scab
Cold sores are never fun. They are painful, unattractive, and they tend to stick around for a little while. But if you're wondering what the stages of a cold sore scab are so that you can get an idea of how...
- Rosacea Treatment Products: Natural Remedies, Antibiotics, Creams, and Laser Applications
Rosacea is a chronic skin disease and hence one ought to treat rosacea right away. One way to treat rosacea naturally is to use cherries, blackberries, and blueberries which restrict blood flow and therefore can reduce the redness associated with ros
- Atopic Dermatitis Skin Allergy (Wool) and Eczema Symptoms
In this article I will relate a personal experience with atopic dermatitis in an attempt to show a pattern of symptoms. Intertwined will be medical material gleaned from research on the Internet. The...
Google + authorship
John Wilsdon - Sixty-three year old interested in photography, books, treasure hunting, and fishing. - I am retired. I fish, prospect for gold, garden, read, and hunt for rocks for jewelry making. - Superior, Arizona - My biggest passion is gold pros
© 2010 John R Wilsdon
More by this Author
Seborrheic dermatitis is a skin condition of degrees. The mildest form is simple dandruff. The very serious form, is characterized by large, yellowish thick scales that bleed when scratched. Layers of hair, skin, and...
There are times when through ignorance we suffer unnecessarily. If you have never had a Honeywell-Enviracaire-60000 room air purifier, how can you know the difference it can make to your health? This article points out...
Easy bleeding and bruising is a common problem for those who are aging and have exposed their skin to a lot of sun. Skin care treatment is essential for protecting aged skin and your body from today's common infections....