Why Getting Fit and Staying Fit Is Important ....It needn't be difficult...
The importance of being active....
We all know that we have to be active to be fit and healthy, but do we know why? Maybe if we knew the benefits of getting active then we'd find it easier to do. Our bodies are actually designed to be active and thrive on exercise.
- Did you know that weight bearing exercises will increase bone density and in turn increase bone strength? A good thing as we get older. Brisk walking, using light weights and dancing are all weight bearing exercises.
- Did you know that the more muscle we build in our bodies the more calories we burn? Which can help us to maintain a healthy body weight? I'm not talking about body building or pumping iron here, being active will build muscle.
- People who suffer from mild depression benefit from exercise. Our bodies release " Happy Hormones" called endorphins when we exercise, they give us that feel good feeling after being active and help us to have a more positive outlook . Try going outside for a brisk walk for twenty minutes or so and see how you feel.....Feel good?
- Exercise can help lower high blood pressure.
- Did you know that being active can help us stay coordinated and maintain our flexibility? We all benefit from that as we get older. The most agile and happy elderly people are usually the most active. They're bodies may have slowed down, but their bodies and minds still benefit from being active.
- Exercise increases our energy levels again it's down to the hormones released when we exercise. If you exercise in the morning, you're energy levels will be higher all day.
- Exercising can help to lower our chances of getting some nasty diseases, like some cancers, diabetes and heart disease - our hearts are muscles.
Being active needn't be a chore....Click thumbnail to view full-size
Jillian Michaels is a fitness instructor who knows what she's talking about....
Stop making excuses...
It's so easy to make excuses not to live more active lives "When do I have time to exercise?" I hear you cry. It may not be as difficult as you think to increase your activity levels.
- You have children and don't have the time or energy to exercise?...
So take them out to the park or the beach. Children love nothing better than chasing around after a ball or a frisbee with their parents. They love to play tag and what child doesn't like to race? Most people these days have a mobile phone and most mobiles have stop watches on. I know my two loved being timed running around the house when they were younger and there is no excuse for not having ago yourself, you don't have to be fast, you just have to have fun.
- You're over weight and that makes you self concious? Maybe when you've lost a bit of weight?...
Not an excuse, being more active will help you to lose the weight. The first step is aways the hardest to take whenever we do something new. Take a walk, if you can't walk far then walk as far as you comfortably can. If you keep at it being active will become easier.
If joining a gym interests you, go and check out what classes your local gym offers. Most gyms offer a good variety of classes aimed at different levels of fitness, from beginners to advanced. You'll also get advice and support from trained instructors. You won't be the only one that feels awkward and it'll give you the opportunity to find an exercise class or different classes (even) that you enjoy and to make friends, which will give you the motivation to keep going. People often make the mistake of getting a gym membership in the belief that it'll make them go to the gym more often. It doesn't work like that, you have to make time to go and not find excuses not to.
- You have a disability and there are things you can't do?
Fair enough, we aren't all able bodied. There are still thing you can do depending on your disability. Again check out the local gym to see what they have to offer for disabled people or if they're aware of any exercise classes or activities for disabled people.
- You think you're too old?....
To old for what? For being active? Don't be daft!! If you are lucky enough to have a garden. Start pottering in it, gardening is one of the best ways of staying fit, getting up and down, stretching and bending, lifting and digging all make for a good workout. Do what your able to do, it's better than doing nothing, don't waste your twilight years being inactive if you can help it.
- You think you don't have time to be more active?...
If you work long hours, take a walk during your lunch break, you'll feel more energised for it.
Get up half an hour earlier and do something active, some people enjoy following fitness DVDs. There's nothing wrong with that, if it's what you enjoy. There are so many to choose from too.
Making excuses is easy and doesn't go towards making us feel good. Being active can improve our quality of life for life, it really is worth making the effort.
light hand weights are good to enhance your workouts...
Simple ways of getting more active...
Getting active needn't mean going to the gym if that's not for you....
- Cycle to work if you can.
- How many of us jump in the car to pop to the corner shop? Next time you're tempted to do that, walk instead. You'll be saving petrol at the same time.
- There are always things around the house to use to build strength, you can use tins of food, bottles of water even old bricks lying around the house can all be used as light weights.
- What about dog walking? You can advertise your services in the local shop or the local paper even. You could find yourself earning some money for being more active, what an incentive that would be!!.
- Next time you and your friends plan to meet up, why not go for a walk together. Chatting whilst you walk can make the time fly and before you know it you'll have walked kilometres.
Getting fit and staying fit...
Getting fit and staying fit is ultimately up to you, no one can do it for you, it's a choice you make. It's about lifestyle choices. While we all like to sit and watch some television or spend time reading a book or browsing the internet, that shouldn't be all we do. Variety really is the spice of life, it keeps us interested and interesting.
There are so many ways of being more active ad getting more exercise, there really is no excuse and before you know it you'll be reaping the rewards of a fitter, healthier lifestyle.
Do it because you can....
Copyright © 2014 by Debbie Roberts
More by this Author
An article on why motivation is important in our lives.
- 16The Health And Fitness Benefits Of Rebounding On A Mini Trampoline - It Really Is A Fun Way To Workout....
Working out can be fun!!This article explains the health benefits of using a rebounder or mini trampoline.
This article explains the importance of building self confidence in our children and contains some tips to help.