Getting Sober - How I Did It And How You Can Do It
TAKEN THOSE FIRST STEPS TO GETTING SOBER
In this Hub I am going to try and explain getting sober how I did it and how you can do it as well.
Being addicted to alcohol or any harmful drug for that matter, takes a toll on your body, your life, your families and your friends. We the alcoholics never realize that we are not the only people being effected by our addiction to alcohol or drugs.
It never even crosses our minds, because we are so involved with our addictions, such as, when the next drink will be or the next high will come. We focus on those things and tend to forget about what should be the most important things in our lives.
One important thing is your own life and followed by our families and friends that have great concern for our well being and our life as it is being effected to these harmful substances.
Getting sober in the addicted persons life is not top on their priority list, but getting drunk or high tends to rank high up there.
I speak here from experience and speak from my heart and want everyone to know that getting sober is possible only if you want it to be and I am living proof of this.
That statement, "Getting Sober is possible only if you want it to be" is the first words and the first steps towards your sobriety. As we all know, if you are not willing to quit drinking alcohol then you will never get sober and that is very self explanatory I think.
WHAT COMES NEXT ?
So, you have decided you want to quit drinking alcohol and now you are wondering what comes next. The ball is in your court and YOU are the only one that can take full control of that ball. It is You that can only change your own life, so grab that ball, hold tight and just run with it and never let go!
Well, the next step and how I did it is like this:
ONE THING i WOULD LIKE TO MENTION BEFORE i BEGIN MY HOPEFULLY HELPFUL LIST OF STEPS TO GETTING SOBER IS THAT i DO REALIZE THAT EACH PERSON IS EFFECTED AND ADDICTED MORE OR LESS THAN THE OTHER, AND SOME MAY BE ABLE TO FIND SOBRIETY ON THEIR OWN AND OTHERS MAY NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP.
I AM ONLY SPEAKING FROM MY EXPERIENCES AND HOPEFULLY HELP YOU IN YOURS.
ONE THING i MAY ADD IS WHEN YOU BEGIN TO LOOK AT YOUR LIFE, PLEASE DO THIS WHILE HAVING A CLEAR MIND AND NOT UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL OR DRUGS, BECAUSE THE ALCOHOL OR DRUGS WILL IN FACT BE IN THE CONVERSATION THAT YOU WILL BE HAVING TO YOURSELF AND HINDER ANY POSITIVE DECISIONS YOU MAY WANT TO MAKE ON GETTING SOBER.
- I sat down " being sober" and took a real good look at my life as I lived it that day.
- I looked at my life and where my life was headed if I were to continue drinking alcohol.
- I looked at the Pros and Cons of drinking alcohol and Not drinking alcohol.
- See which one out weighs the other and I think Not drinking alcohol will win, at least it did for me.
- Take a good hard look at others, such as your families and friends, and think to yourself what they have been going though along with you and your addiction.
- You MUST change you attitude and start thinking Positive thoughts.
- You need to have a Strong desire to get sober.
- You may have to steer clear of you drinking buddies as they will tend to Not help in your decision to become clean and sober.
- When making that decision to stay away from your drinking buddies, you and they may feel as if your friendships have stopped. You have to do this for your own well being. This will make your life much easier by being away from the temptation to drink.
- THIS WAS THE HARD PART FOR ME:
- You will have to make a PROMISE to yourself that you may never be able to pick up or tilt that bottle again. Everyone knows that breaking Promises is a No No and especially breaking a promise to yourself, that is a definite NO NO.
- You have to Believe in yourself and when you do Believe you WILL Achieve anything you set out to do, including Getting Sober.
- Stick to your guns and don't ever let anything, anyone, including drinking friends stop you from achieving your dreams and goals of Getting Sober.
- Never be a quitter.
- Don't get disgusted or depressed because things are not moving and changing as fast as you would like.
- Never give up on your dreams and goals of getting sobriety back into your life.
These are a few of my ideas that helped me in my journey to getting sober and I certainly hope you think about them and hopefully apply them to your journey to finding your own sobriety.
Nothing is impossible in life if you truly want it bad enough. Getting sober and living the clean life again is by far the best thing I could of ever done in my life and it can be the same for you as well if you really want it bad enough.
Give your body and your life a second chance. You will thank yourself in the end and life will be better than you could ever imagine, take my word on it!
All you have to do is to take that first step, the first step that will change your life forever.
SURRENDER TO YOUR INNER DEMONS and LIVE THE LIFE YOU DESERVE.
If anyone has benefited by my hubs on addiction and sobriety and has a success story to share I would love to hear from you. You can contact me here on Hubpages.
- the clean life on HubPages
Hi everyone, my name is Mark. I enjoy writing articles about drugs and alcohol addictions. As a person that has been an alcoholic for many years...
More by this Author
There are so many people that are addicted to alcohol in our society today. These people are literary chained to their addiction with no escape in site.
Here is feeling lost and empty after an alcoholic stops drinking alcohol and my story and thoughts on just how I got through the torture. I call this torture because alcohol was my life, my best friend, and something I...
You may wonder just how alcohol can ruin your life and I am here to tell you it is almost 100 percent sure to destroy you and your family if you let it happen. The alcoholic has no control over the demons within them,...