All About Gingers
Ginger (Zingiber officinale) is a rhizome plant. It is very popular as a spice, medicinal materials or consumed as a delicacy. With the other family members like: cardamom, turmeric, and galangal. Ginger is a part of Zingiberaceae. The name was given by William Roxburgh, from the Greek word zingiberi. Scientific classification: kingdom: Plant, Phylum: spermathophyta, class: Monocotyledoneae, order: Zingibarales, family: Zingibeaceae, genus: Zingiber, species: Zingiber officinale. Based on the history, the ginger comes from India. But many people believed that ginger also comes from Southern China. From India, it was taken to China, Southeast Asia, Japan, to the Middle East. And then ginger became a popular commodity in Europe, because it provides a sense of warm and spicy on food. The importance of ginger has begun recorded in the Confucius writings. In the 9th century in Europe, ginger powder is placed on the table along with salt and pepper.
Because ginger can only survive in the tropics, planting can only be done in the equatorial regions are like Southeast Asia, Africa and Brazil. Currently, Brazil and Ecuador became the world's largest ginger supplier.
Raw ginger root has a pale yellow flesh, while the color of the skin varies depending on the origin country. For example, Jamaican ginger pale skin, while African and India ginger are dark brown. In my country Indonesia, ginger can be divided into 3 section. Such as: elephant ginger, yellow ginger, and red ginger. Ginger elephant is very famous in international market. The shape is big and it's not too spicy. Typically, elephant ginger is often made as spice ingredients and body warmers. Ginger elephant generally attracted many people. The rhizomes flesh is yellow to white. Red Ginger contains the highest oil and as the most spicy ginger. It is also suitable for pharmaceutical ingredients and herbs. The rhizome size of red ginger is the smallest with red color. Red ginger has more fiber than the regular ginger.
The morphological features
The morphological features of ginger, such as: Ginger plants can grow to as high as 1 meter or more. The leaves are pinnate with a length of 15 to 23 mm or lengths of 8 to 15 mm. Ginger flower growing out of the ground with oval shape, the length about 3.5 to 5 cm and 1.5 to 1.75 cm wide. The ginger flower is yellowish green. Lip flowers and anthers are purple. Pistil stalk are two. Ginger grows well in tropical and subtropical climates. Ginger has a spicy taste of diminishing if the plants get older. About 3 % of an essential oil of ginger that gives a distinctive aroma. Young ginger roots moist and fleshy, while the mature root is generally dry and fibrous. Ginger grows at an altitude of 0 to 1500 meters above sea level.
Nutritional value of ginger
Nutritional value of ginger root (raw) per 100 g or 3.5oz, such as: 333 kJ (80 kcal) of energy, 17.77 g carbohydrates, 1.70 g sugar, 2.0 g dietary fiber, 0.75 g fat, 1.82 g protein, 0 IU vitamin A, 5.0 mg (6%) vitamin C, 34 mg (5%) phosphorus, 415 mg (9%) potassium.
Nutritional value of ginger root (ground) per 100 g or 3.5oz, such as: 1,404 kJ (336 kcal) of energy, 71.62 g carbohydrates, 3.39 g sugars, 14.1 g dietary fiber, 4.24 g fat, 8.98 g protein, 30 IU vitamin A, 0.7 mg (1%) vitamin C, 168 mg (24%) phosphorus, 1320 mg (28%) potassium.
Gingers in the market
Ginger around the world
Ginger is commonly used throughout the world. In 2005, China became a major producer of ginger, followed by India, Indonesia, and Nigeria.
Ginger is used uniquely in almost every country. In southern India, "inji-murappa" candy made from ginger and sold in various stores to street vendors. In Burma, ginger grated and preserved in oil and used for salad known as "gyin-tho." In my country (Indonesia), we can found a fous drink made from palm sugar and ginger, we called this "Wedang Jahe" . In Korea, finely chopped ginger used in the "kimchi," a fermented vegetable dish. Ginger has many traditional uses in Japan. Ginger is used to make "shoge" candy and Japanese pickles known as "beni Shoga,". In Ivory Coast, “Nyamanku” is a very refreshing juice drink obtained from ground ginger root mixed with the juices of pineapples, oranges and lemons. Preserved ginger is made from young roots are sliced and canned with sugar syrup. Pickled ginger is very common for Japanese sushi meal accompaniment. Dry ginger root is typically used to make powdered ginger.
Health benefits of ginger
- Reduce morning sickness. Young pregnant mothers usually experience with this case. Consuming warm ginger water is the fastest way to reduce the nausea effects of morning sickness.
- Reduce pain. Ginger has function as anti-inflammatory and able to relieve pain caused by osteoarthritis. If the patients consume ginger regularly then their mobility can be more active .
- Motion sickness. People who often feel nauseous and drunk while riding in a vehicle or aircraft can consume ginger to reduce nausea. Ginger can also reduce the effects of jet lag.
- Ulcer. Water of ginger is a natural remedy for various diseases. Stomach ulcers can be reduced with the consumption of warm ginger water.
- Menstrual cramps. Women who experience of menstrual cramps, they should try to drink warm ginger water, rather than painkillers.
- Cough and scratchy throat. Ginger is good to boost the immune system, including cough and flu viruses attack. In addition, ginger relieve itchy and sore throat.
- Ginger is very good for those suffering from gas and bloating. It also quite effective in treating diarrhea as well.
- Ginger is provides relief to migraine and inflammation in blood vessels.
- The substance inside ginger, like: minerals including potassium, magnesium, copper and manganese. Potassium helps to maintain blood pressure and heart rate.
- Acne. Wash your face using warm ginger water in the morning and evening. This method can be rid of acnes within 60 days. It is suitable for dry skin and eliminates dark spots on your face.
- Sprue treatment. Boil fresh ginger (800 grams) and put in a bowl. Then use ginger boiled water as a mouthwash. Then drink 4-5 times a day. For maximum results gargle as much as 6-9 times a day.
- Migraine treatment. Soak your hands in warm ginger water for 15 minutes. This method can overcome your migraine.
- Motion sickness. You can also add honey to improve the taste and help to remove ethanol from the body.
- Healing pain in the waist and back. Mix some vinegar and salt in warm ginger water. Then soak a towel with water. After that squeeze and paste the part of the body that hurts. Do it several times. This method is believed to help blood circulation and relaxes the muscles, thereby reducing pain.
- Anti dandruff. Rub raw ginger that has been split into multiple sections to your hair. Then wash with warm ginger water. These tips are good to reduce hair loss as well. In China, there are several stores that also use ginger warm water to clean the hair. And most people use these tips to get the best results.
- Lowering high blood pressure. Soak your feet in warm ginger water for 15 minutes. These tips helped blood circulation by reflexology to lowering high blood pressures.
- Colds and flu treatment. Soak your feet up to your ankles in hot ginger water. Combine vinegar and salt and add warm water continuously. Do it until the legs reddish. These tips are also good to cure coughs and headaches.
How to keep the ginger always fresh
- The first time you buy the ginger, choose fresh ginger and smooth skin, no wrinkles, and free of mold.
- Cut dried or damaged section from the ginger with kitchen knife
- Using a vegetable peeler or knife, peel the ginger until it's clean.
- Cut the ginger into pieces with the size of a thumb. The size like this is generally ideal for a variety of recipes.
- Wash the pieces of ginger, and then let it dry.
- Put the ginger pieces into a plastic bag. Be sure the air can get into the bag as much as possible.
- Enter the ginger into the freezer and take when you need it.
Ginger tea to reduce the colds
According to Ayurveda and traditional Chinese medicine, ginger is regarded as an effective remedy for colds or flu. Ginger contains many antiviral compounds, beside it usually warm. Drink a cup of ginger tea several times a day (preferably at least 3 times a day). To make ginger tea is very easy. Please follow the direction below:
- Add 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger into 1 cup of hot water.
- Let it dissolve up to 10 minutes.
- If you use dried ginger powder, use 1/3 to 1/2 teaspoon dry ginger powder to each cup of hot water.
- Drink it while warm and slowly.
- Let stand it in the mouth before swallowing to help ginger mixed with enzymes in the saliva and accelerate assimilation herbs into the bloodstream.
Candied Ginger Recipe
- 1/2 kg of fresh ginger
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
How to make:
- Peel and wash fresh ginger. Then slice the clean ginger with a thickness of 0.3 cm and a width of not more than 2.5 cm.
- Enter pieces of ginger into the pot and add water until submerged, and then boil it.Let the water boiling for five minutes, then strain and discard the water. Repeat up to four times, we need about 20 minutes. Replacement of water will help reduce the spicy taste of ginger.
- Boil the ginger again, add sugar, lemon juice, and enough water, just until all the slices of ginger covered. Boil it over medium heat. Stirring constantly, cook until the ginger liquid is almost gone and ginger slices become soft and transparent.
- Reduce the heat and continue to cook the ginger for about five minutes or until no water remains. Then remove the pan and allow it to cool about 20 minutes.
- While cooling the ginger in a saucepan, heat the oven to a temperature of 93.33 degrees Celsius. Prepare a baking sheet, coat a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray the aluminum foil with nonstick special fluid.
- Arrange the ginger slices on a baking sheet that has been coated aluminum foil, make sure no slices touching each other. Put the pan into the oven until the slices of ginger is almost completely dry but still flexible and elastic. If you do not use the oven, you can dry the slices of ginger in a food dehydrator.
- Lift dried ginger slices from the pan and allow to cold thoroughly. Place each slice of dried ginger into a bowl and cover it with sugar.
- Save the candied ginger into an airtight container or plastic food storage.
Candied ginger is resistant to eight weeks at room temperature or about six months when stored in the refrigerator
Please enjoy the video below!
Gingerbread and the beauty of gingerbread house decoration
I want to share something beautiful comes from ginger. Now, I am talking about gingerbread. What does gingerbread mean? It’s a food product made by ginger as the main ingredient and also typically using honey or molasses (treacle), rather than sugar or I found the gingerbread used spices. For the flavor, we can also use vanilla and cinnamon. Gingerbread variation can be shaped into moist loaf cake or biscuit. “Gingerbread man” commonly found in England. So, the gingerbread refers not to a cake in this country. From the Wikipedia, the gingerbread men are first attributed to Queen Elizabeth I. But now, it served at Christmastime. But we can change the gingerbread into beautiful cake decoration. We called this “gingerbread house”. We only need an imagination. After searching by google, mostly the gingerbread house shaped similar to the "witch's house". We can see the house in the Hansel and Gretel. From the outer appearance, the gingerbread looks so beautiful. It covered with a variety of candies and icing as well. Gingerbread is popular as Christmas decorations. It’s a good activity during the Christmas, where the children decorated the gingerbread house with the help of their parents. I also enclose the pictures of gingerbread house. Please enjoy the pictures below!
You can also read:
More by this Author
In non-banana growing countries like the west, or non-tropical countries in the northern hemisphere of Asia, the banana is an imported food item consisting of only one type
From the 60 countries which have winter season. Only several countries have beautiful scenery when the snow comes.
The first time I never thought that Russia has many beautiful tourism places to visit. Russia is a country which stretches along Eastern Europe and northern Asia.