Golden Rules for Hair Loss Prevention

Hair loss or alopecia, and what can be done to prevent or reduce it is a major concern to hundreds of thousands of individuals, both men and women. It is estimated hair loss affects 30 to 40 percent of the population and can occur at any age. Thousands of those affected are women. Losing a certain amount of hair on a daily basis is normal. In fact, experts tell us we can lose anywhere from 50 to 150 hairs a day. A greater number, particularly in women, is usually noticed immediately after shampooing and can number 200 or more strands. The how and whys of hair loss is relative to the manner in which it grows. The majority of our hair, or roughly 90 percent, follows growth periods of two to six years. That leaves the other 10 percent in a resting phase lasting two to three months. After the resting phase our hair will begin to shed. There are many factors to be considered regarding hair loss, and not all of us will or do lose the same amount of hair. Many factors come into play--genetics, hair type, the manner in which you care for your hair, diet, vitamin and mineral deficiency, stress, certain medications, hair coloring, blow drying, and believe it or not – pollution.

The most prevalent form of hair loss is known as Androgenetic alopecia, or in layman’s terms; male and female pattern baldness. The main factors involved here; hormones and genetics. This form of baldness is hereditary and has been known to skip generations before showing its ugly “head” again. Other forms of baldness include Trichotillomania, Alpoecia universalis, Alpoecia areata, Toxic alopecia and Scarring alopecia.

Hair Loss
Hair Loss | Source

Rules for Hair Loss Prevention

For many, the daily loss becomes increasing noticeable, worrisome and somewhat embarrassing. But never fear, before running out and scheduling a hair transplant, here are three simple things you can do to assist in the prevention of, or reduction of hair loss.

  • Maintain a healthy diet . Diet can play a big role in reducing and even preventing hair loss. You need to make sure your daily diet contains numerous fruits and vegetables. A healthy body, hence healthy hair, requires an adequate intake of water, protein, vitamins A, B6 and 12, biotin, minerals including iron, copper, zinc, calcium, folic acid, magnesium and Omega-3 fatty acids. All play an important role in not only maintaining a healthy body, but healthy hair as well.
  • Daily hair management . Avoid applying hair coloring or dye more than once every two months. DO NOT over dry or over use heat treatments, IE; curling irons, hot rollers, hair straighteners and chemical treatments. Heat damages hair protein making it brittle-- fragile, as well as subjects it to breakage and can permanently damage hair follicles. It is best to allow your hair to dry naturally. Wait for your hair to dry before brushing or combing. If you must brush it immediately after washing, use a soft plastic comb or brush with wide spaced teeth.
  • Reduce the stress levels in your life—relax more. Stress has been shown to cause hair loss. Strive to get good night’s sleep. Your body and your hair require adequate levels of sleep to function well and be at its peak.

If hair loss becomes excessive, or uncontrollable through home treatment, it is best to see your dermatologist who can assess your loss and suggest supplements or prescribe medications to slow, or stop the loss. Unfortunately for those of you predisposed to a certain level of hair loss or baldness through genetics, it becomes even more important to do all you can to maintain healthy hair through daily preventative management.

More by this Author


Comments

No comments yet.

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.


    Click to Rate This Article
    working