Good Nutrition Begins With A Healthy Breakfast
Nutritious South Indian Breakfast Ideas-idli, dosa
Make Your Own SMOOTHIES with the VERSATILE Hand Blender
Off To A Good Start!
Physical and mental health are dependent on what kind of nutrition one gets from the food choices we make. If we need to be healthy and disease free, optimum nutrition levels are to be maintained by eating properly at regular intervals. It has been shown by studies undertaken that children who skip breakfast cannot concentrate in the classroom. Nutrition affects learning ability. Children that do not have breakfast end up in school being cranky, fidgety, and with a lot less attention span. This holds good for all age groups. Adolescents and young women often think that skipping breakfast is the easiest way to weight loss. You see the body needs energy to perform mental and physical tasks and this is provided by the food one eats. The last meal of a day is dinner, and if you have had to miss your breakfast, the period of fasting is extended and the brain cannot function properly. This affects your physical tasks as well. The tendency is then to gorge on sugars or fried and fatty food once you get extremely hungry which then clogs up your mind and arteries and gives rise to mood swings. If this is repeated everyday, you end up becoming overweight and obese. Grabbing a cup of coffee or a candy bar at 11 AM at work is not doing you any good when you have missed breakfast.
Truth is that missing on a meal is not going to help you with weight loss. The body expects to be fueled with regular meals for optimal functioning. Breakfast is rightly called "breaking the fast". Being the first meal of the day, a healthy breakfast gives one energy to sustain through the day, even if your lunch or dinner is delayed. It is not advisable to miss any meal for that matter. It is wise to follow the saying,"Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper". Having a healthy breakfast ensures that you will be off to a flying start to the day, anywhere in the world. Those who regularly begin their day with a breakfast tend to maintain a healthy weight as well.
What Then Is A Healthy Breakfast ?
A healthy breakfast should comprise of some protein and fiber in addition to complex carbohydrates.
Eggs, lean meats, beans, dairy all contribute to the protein. Protein gives you a feeling of satiety, means it keeps you feeling full the entire morning.
Whole grain cereals provide complex carbohydrates, which will break down slowly and give you energy until lunch time. Rich in fiber it prevents constipation and aids bowel movement. It is important to keep away from sugary cereals, white bread, pastries and syrups. These are simple sugars which will give you a short burst of energy and then cause a lull making you prone to mood swings. You will be hungry and tired in a couple of hours, and will want to reach for an unhealthy snack.
If you need to snack at around 11 AM, healthy options include a few nuts such as almonds and walnuts, or a fruit or a glass of skimmed milk.
Healthy Breakfast Options That Fit Into The Family Budget
Quick and easy breakfast need not be expensive. Children learn to eat a healthy breakfast if their parents also do the same everyday. It pays to rise early and make sure the family gets off to a great start every morning. It has been proved that breakfast eaters maintain healthy weight, are more energetic and alert through out the day, are less prone to diseases such as heart disease, hypertension and diabetes. Yes, breakfast eaters consume lesser calories throughout the day and are more healthy. Remember obesity is a silent killer. Gorging on junk food later in the day is definitely the fastest way to becoming obese.
- Whole grain cereal with low fat milk .Stir in some cut fruits such as strawberry,apple,banana. Some like to add raisins, walnuts and almonds,figs. Be creative each day. Fresh orange juice instead of the fruits gives you vitamin C. A boiled egg can be included.
- Hot cereal such as oatmeal can be microwaved and served. Nutritive value can be boosted by adding blueberries, strawberries, any cut fruit you enjoy or some nuts such as pecan,walnut and almonds.
- Sandwiches can be made from whole grain bread and lean meats,poultry,sprouts, or even leftover vegetables or meats from the dinner. A simple scrambled egg sandwich with a slice of cheese, some fried onion and mushrooms or peppers can be quite filling as well. Peanut butter sandwich can be a healthy alternative. Choose low fat dairy or yoghurt as a spread rather than mayonnaise.
- Fruit and yoghurt can always come in handy if you do not have time for breakfast. Having hardboiled eggs ready can add up the nutritive value of your breakfast. Always remember to include low fat dairy, whole grain cereal or bread, eggs, fresh fruit or 100 % fruit juice. Protein and fiber needs must be met at this important meal of the day.
- Fruit Smoothies are an excellent alternative to a sit down breakfast when in a hurry. Choose your favourite fruit, some low fat dairy, some honey or a sprinkling of sugar and whir up in your blender. Milk, water or juice can be added to some fresh or frozen fruit for a basic smoothie. Adding flax oil or flaxseeds and plain yoghurt or peanut butter enhance its nutritive value.
- Indian breakfasts are particularly nutritious as they combine all the food groups and are rich in protein, fiber and complex carbohydrates. Idlis , dosas, parathas are all eaten with accompaniments such as chutney, sambar, vegetable curries and are a balanced meal in themselves. Yes, I have been preparing and eating these on a regular basis and love to start my day with a healthy breakfast. And there is a great variety to choose from-puri sago, poori-channa, akki roti, ragi roti, roti sabzi, chapathi vegetable paliya, bisi bele bath,upma,vermicelli bath, lime rice,tamarind rice,egg rice,avalakki.
How To Make Idli-No.1 South Indian Breakfast
Hubs You Will Find Useful
- Walk Your Way To Fitness Not Just Weight Loss
Weight Loss and dieting are the top new year resolutions every year according to surveys around the world. The holidays & Christmas feasting begins to show on one's abs & the quest to find a quick & easy way...
- Six Super Health Foods For All Women
A woman's nutritional habits determine her life span and also her overall health and well being. A woman needs to care for herself in terms of health, personal hygiene, positive mental outlook, look good,...
- Top 20 Successful Tips On Dieting
Get the figure you always craved for,and be the envy of all!!!The following guidelines are sure to be an eyeopener and serve as motivation for those looking for a healthy way to diet.No guilt! Don't "Go On...
- Healthy Eating With Fruits and Vegetables
Vegetables and fruits should definitely be part of one's diet,whether you eat meats or not.They are the ones that supply your body of essential vitamins ,minerals and micronutrients that help the smooth...
- The Correct Way To Eat Fruits For Optimum Nutrition
Fruits, are those bright, juicy natural wonders with a rich supply of nutrient goodness for you and me available according to season and the part of the world one resides in. "An apple a day keeps the doctor...
- Top 100 Best Foods For Higher Productivity
What exactly are antioxidants and how are they important to us? Antioxidants are substances that protect our cells against the effects of free radicals. Free radicals are molecules produced when our bodies...
- 10 Super Brain Foods For Your Kids
Do you want your kids to do well in school?Do you want them to be good in sports and music as well?It certainly pays to take a look at the daily diet given. Are your children getting proper nutrition and at...
- Diet Changes For Effective Weight Loss
Scientific evidence shows that we are indeed eating three to four times our normal requirement.And so,we have many who are obese.Even children are more obese today than children of yesteryears.So,how do we...
- Exercise Your Brain To Improve Concentration And Memory
Mental health is as important, if not more, as one's physical health. Whatever be your age,a human brain needs to be exercised regularly in order to improve upon one's concentration , memory and IQ which...
More by this Author
As an Indian homemaker for the past 25 years, I have had immense satisfaction in using herbal home remedies for various illnesses or symptoms of common ailments, for members of my household. These remedies always take...
Did you know that your feet hold the key to your overall energy and well being? Absolutely! Apart from providing you balance as you walk or run, the feet can be the right place to bring relief to most ailments you may...
I took this picture very early in the morning while the lady of the house was drawing this festive rangoli. The unfinished design shows earthern pots with rice being cooked and sugar canes, which are part of every...