Health and Weight Loss Benefits of Green Coffee Bean Extract
The latest in a barrage of supplements touted for their antioxidant properties and potential weight loss efficacy, Green Coffee Bean Extract has exploded on to the health and nutrition marketplace with the same furor as Acai, Green Tea Extract and African Mango before it. So what is it and is it just another diet “snake oil” or is it truly effective?
A recent episode of that TV Medical Guru who's name rhymes with "Gauze" ;-), would seem to suggest that unlike some of the aforementioned elixirs, Green Coffee Bean extract does have antioxidants that fight free radicals and that Green Coffee Bean Extract does in fact, promote weight loss.
So What is Green Coffee Bean Extract?
Coffee beans start out as the seeds of coffee plants. They are harvested from the cherry fruit of the plant.. When coffee is harvested with the intention of making coffee, the coffee beans are roasted at temperatures exceeding 400 degrees Fahrenheit which is what brings out that delicious roasted coffee flavor. The green unroasted beans however, hold apparent health benefits that the roasting process removes from the bean.
Green Coffee Bean extract is a hygroscopic powder, derived from green unroasted coffee beans. It is abundant chlorogenic and caffeic acids. The caffeic acid is what gives us energy. The chlorogenic acid, has antioxidant properties in that it neutralizes free radicals which can cause cell degeneration and advance aging. Furthermore, chlorogenic acid has been shown to suppress an enzyme in the liver, slowing the release of glucose into the bloodstream. Lower levels of glucose in the liver, cause the body to convert fat into energy, thereby increasing our metabolism.
Chlorogenic acid is not only found in coffee beans, it is also found in green tea, blueberries, and sunflower seeds, all of which are recommended for weight loss and antioxidant benefits.
Heath Benefits of Green Coffee Bean Extract
- Antioxidant effect – Chlorogenic acid in Green Coffee Bean Extract is known to neutralize free radicals in the body that can lead to cellular degeneration and advanced aging. In fact, green coffee bean extract is twice as effective in absorbing oxygen free radicals as green tea and grape seed extract.
- Prevents spikes in blood glucose. Chlorogenic acid stabilizes blood glucose levels by suppressing glucose-6-phosphate in the liver which slows down the release of glucose to the bloodstream.
- Helps fight obesity. By slowing the release of glucose into the blood stream, the body is forced to convert fat into useable energy, increasing metabolism. In a recent study, 16 participants did nothing more than take varying doses of green coffee bean extract. They did not exercise or change their diet, but after 22 weeks they had lost an average of 17 pounds, without changing their diet or exercise regimes at all!
- Helps Fight High Blood Pressure – a 2006 study conducted by Health Care Products Laboratories Kao Corporation, Tokyo Japan found that Green Coffee Bean Extract metabolized nitric oxide – which is present in abnormally high amounts in patients with high blood pressure.
- Promotes liver health – In a study conducted by Lieutenant Colonel Dr. Stephen Harrison at Brooke Army Medical Center in Fort Sam Houstonm Texas found the chlorogenic acid in coffee protected the liver from damage, especially from alcohol.
How To Take Green Coffee Bean Extract
If you're ready to give it Green Coffee Bean Extract a try, the recent study done by Dr. Joe Vinson found that 800 mg twice a day, a half an hour before meal times with a glass of water was most efficacious. There are many Green Coffee Bean Extracts you can purchase, just make sure the one that you find is pure Green Coffee Bean Extract and does not contain a lot of fillers.
Not interested in pills? No problem! Even Starbucks has jumped on the Green Coffee Bean Extract Wagon with refreshing new beverages made with Green Coffee Bean Extract. I hope you'll enjoy them as much as I have. For more on Green Coffee Bean Extract Click here. Good luck and good health!