Herbal Remedies to Grow Long Hair
How to Grow Healthy Hair
Hair grows about 12 to 15 centimeters each year, which is about 4.5 to 7 inches a year, but it seems when we want our hair to grow faster, it just doesn't. The reason why there the shampoos and products don't magically make your hair grow is because there just isn't a magical spell or creative remedy to make your hair grow.
There are, on the other hand, herbal remedies that can promote healthy hair growth and reduce hair loss. These natural remedies ensure healthy hair follicles, scalp, and hair, so that you can minimize loss and breaking. In turn, with healthy hair and scalp, your hair will seem like it's growing faster, thicker, and longer.
Remember that there isn't one miracle cure for growing hair, so you may have to try a few different methods. You will want to keep in mind, though, that there are many factors that affect your hair growth, not just the herbal remedies that you're trying. Your diet, water consumption, heredity, stress levels, and sleep, will all play a part in how fast your hair grows. The better your overall health, the better results you will have at growing long, healthy hair.
Ensure that your diet is balanced, you drink plenty of water, and you're getting plenty of sleep, in order to make sure that you have healthy hair growth.
Once those basic factors are in check, there are other things that you can try to help grow and strengthen your hair. Simple procedures like protecting your hair from pollution and the sun will help promote healthy hair, as will being gentle while combing and keep knots out of your hair with regular detangling with your fingers.
Other things that you can do is to change your shampoo and conditioner to one that contains biotin, which is known to promote hair strength and texture. Avoid using soaps and shampoos that contain harsh detergents. Try to stick with all natural products, and avoid using hair products such as hairspray, gel, and mousse, that contain chemicals that can cause hair loss and damage. When you use harsh hair products that stick your hair together, increases chance of hair loss and damage when combing through your hair. Avoid over straightening or overusing a curling iron to prevent damage to your hair.
Below are herbal supplements and rinses that you may want to consider to help promote healthy hair growth. Just remember that if you see any major changes in your hair, you will want to see a doctor, as you may have an underlying health issue that is causing "sick" hair.
- Silica- Take silica capsules on a daily basis, as silica has been known for its properties that protect hair. The silica supplement will help thicken hair, strengthen it to resist breaking, and reduce hair fallout.
- Saw Palmetto- Saw palmetto is actually an active ingredient in many hair-restore products. It is derived from berry extracts. You can take the saw palmetto supplement to help slow hair loss and to promote new hair growth.
- Gingko Biloba- This supplement is known to aid brain activity as it is proven to increase the blood flow to the brain and skin, but gingko biloba is also known to help stimulate hair follicles and to increase overall hair growth.
Herbal Washes and Oils
- Tea Tree Oil- Rub your scalp with tea tree oil daily, as the oil has been known for medicinal and anti-bacterial properties, which will help to kill a bacteria found on your scalp that may be causing hair loss.
- Green Tea- Green tea has been proven to help decrease hair loss by increasing the stopping the body's production of DHT. You want to drink several cups a day in order to achieve maximum effect.
- Amalaki (Indian Gooseberry Powder)- Soak the powder in water at night, and in the morning mix the powder that's been soaking in water with lemon juice or coconut oil. Take this mix and wash your hair with it, massaging your scalp as you wash. Use this mixture regularly, as it has been proven effective to prevent and reduce hair loss, improve color, and make your hair softer.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- Rinse your hair with vinegar to help promote circulation to your scalp, which will help improve the health of your hair follicles and scalp. You will be able to help maintain a balance mix of oils on your scalp, which will help prevent dryness and encourage hair growth.
- Banyan Tree Root- Make a powder from the tree root and mix it with lemon juice. You want to wash your hair with this mixture and immediately dry it afterward. This herbal remedy is effective to reduce hair loss and prevent split hairs.
- Oil- Rub coconut oil, castor oil, or olive oil, on your scalp once a week to help reduce hair loss and promote new hair growth by maintaining the balance of oils on your scalp. It's recommended to heat the oil to a lukewarm temperature before gently rubbing it into your scalp. You want to leave the oil on your scalp overnight, and wash it off the next morning. Some recommend mixing the oil with lemon juice or lime water to promote hair growth.
- Tulsi (Ocimum Sanctum)- Prepare the juice from the Tulsi and mix it with coconut oil, boil it for about 5 minutes, and massage into your hair, leave it in overnight, and wash out the next morning.
- Bhringa Raja Thaila or Nilibringhadi Thaila- Use the herbs as a hair oil for about a month, and you will start to see change in your hair health and growth.
- Fenugreek Seeds- Prepare the liquid from the seeds and massage into your scalp. Leave the liquid in your hair for about 2 hours and then wash it out.
- Pomegranate Seeds- Grind the seeds, leaves and peels, and
then mix it with mustard oil. Boil the mixture, sieve it, and use the
oil that's remaining to massage into your scalp. Consider using pomegranate seed oil, as well.
- Green Coriander- Extra the juices from the coriander and massage it into the scalp.
Herbal and Home Remedies
- Supplements to Relieve Asthma
- Supplements to Relieve PostPartum Depression
- Cure Holiday Blues and Anxiety with Supplements
- Natural Supplements to Battle Holiday Depression
- Aid Anxiety with Chinese Herbs and Natural Medicine
- Herbal Remedies for High Blood Pressure
- How to Clean Your Body Naturally - Detoxification with Herbs
- Home Remedies for Constipation
- Natural Remedies and Herbs for Women's Health
- Aromatherapy for Women's Health
- Acupuncture Points Used to Relieve Menstrual Cramps
- Acupressure Relieves Menstrual Pain and Cramps
- Supplements to Relieve Menopausal Symptoms
- Home Remedies for Yeast Infections
- Lose Weight with Chinese Herbs
More by this Author
There are different positions of Reiki treatment, and depending on what your Reiki practitioner feels is best for you, you may receive a full body session or just a session focusing on one or two positions. There isn't...
High blood pressure is pretty common. About one in every three adults in the U.S has it, and about 1/3 of those people don't even know it. Signs of hypertension may include dizziness or dizzy spells, headaches,...
An awesome-looking tattoo can unfortunately turn into a big infected mess. Read on to learn the symptoms of infection and how to treat it.