H1N1 Swine Flu Update
The H1N1 Mexican Swine Flu Virus remains extremely widespread at the current time and the current second pandemic wave does not show significant signs of peaking. Various forms of illness and influenza activity tied to the H1N1 Mexican Swine flu strain are still quite widespread around the United States and around the world. However, the distribution and supply of the vaccine seems to be holding up generally well around the United States at least.
There are currently some minor declines in the epidemiological levels of H1N1 influenza that has been occurring through the latter part of November. It has to be notes that this is a fairly minor drop and the extent of H1N1 around the country is still quite elevated. At the current time, 43 states are reporting medium to severe activity in H1N1 Mexican Swine Flu Virus activity, and that level that is down from 46 just a couple weeks ago. Again important to note that these levels are still considerably higher than they usually are in conventional traditional influenza seasons at this time of November.
The overall state of the H1N1 activity as right now can only be defined as still elevated. Even after the tiny decrease that was reported this week, the overall level is still well ahead of what would be considered a normal influenza year at this time in November. The influenza season is generally understood to begin in December and run right through May in the Northern Hemisphere however this year's particular H1N1 influenza is completely atypical. There is no way of knowing how many weeks this will continue at this rate or even how many months.
In the past week alone there were a total of 21 paediatric deaths they were associated to be H1N1 influenza and as of this time 15 of these were actually pathologically confirmed to be directly due to the H1N1 Mexican Swine Flu Virus while studies continue to determine the cause of death of the other six.
With those latest additions, that brings the total number of influenza deaths directly attributed to H1N1 in children to 171 cases. These are confirmed by the laboratories of the Centers For Disease Control & Prevention in Atlanta. The count of 171 influenza deaths in American children is only a partial count because the data is fairly slow in arriving to the Centers For Disease Control & Prevention headquarters, and is also often misrepresented on the lower of the end of the scale. This factor is due to the unfortunate reality that not all H1N1 influenza deaths are in listed in the autopsies report as such.
Approximately 70% of all the children who have perished from influenza this season have had a level of conditions that were already pre-existing such as asthma or even a level of neurological aliments such as cerebral palsy. The other approximately 30% have not had any noted pre-existing conditions.
It is very likely that since the holiday travelling season is starting now with Thanksgiving and going through Christmas and New Year's that the increase in individuals travelling around the country and around the world for their holidays will see increased interaction from people originating in various geographical areas and therefore the strains that they carry may mix and blend with each other's pre-existing influenza viruses.
Disclaimer: The information on this Hub page does not constitute medical, legal, commercial, product, and/or service advice or endorsement of any vendor, supplier and/or brand, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the author. Listing of an entity or service on this Hub page is not a warranty of the quality or efficacy of the products or services furnished by any entity. The author is not directly compensated by any entity other than the advertising placement services shown on this page.
More by this Author
LSD(Lysergic Acid Diethylamide)Street Names: Acid, Blotters, Cubes, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Microdots, Sugar.What It Does: LSD is a hallucinogen, a drug that not only affects the central nervous...
Albert Hoffman, the "father" of LSD. In a recent series of Hubs on LSD and the effects on pregnant women I was challenged to prove my statements that LSD was extremely harmful. Well... here we go. Science....
A reliable, fun, street legal brand new 100cc Honda that gets 100 mpg and costs under $1,000? If Honda was smart enough to bring it from India to North America, they'd sell by the thousands!