Hair Dryness: Causes, Prevention and Treatment
Hair dryness is a very common problem among many people these days. Although both men and women can have dry hair, women are more likely to find this condition a cause for greater concern.
But how can you tell whether your hair is dry or not? It is basically simple. You can self-diagnose hair dryness if your hair manifests the following:
· lacking in luster and softness
· brittle and easily broken
· having split-ends
· rough to touch
· frizzier than ever (for frizzy hair)
· appears dull and lifeless
What causes hair dryness?
Do you know the causes of hair dryness? According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, your hair can become dry as a result of several factors, such as:
- Having anorexia nervosa, an eating disorder
- Too frequent washing of hair
- Use of harsh or alcohol-containing hair products that strip hair of its natural moisture
- Too frequent blow-drying of hair
- Living in a place where the air is dry
- Suffering from a condition known as Menkes disease or Menkes kinky hair syndrome
- Having hypoactive parathyroid or thyroid glands
Excessive exposure to sunlight, smoke and environmental pollution have been widely considered to cause hair dryness too.
Shampoos and Conditioners
Ways to prevent hair dryness
While it is true that some hair types are more prone to dryness, such as the frizzy and the kinky types, all types of hair basically turn dry under certain circumstances and given the outlined causes above. To prevent your hair from becoming dry, you need to adhere to follow some measures, such as:
- Avoid washing your hair frequently.
- Do not blow-dry your hair too often.
- Do not choose alcohol-based hair products.
- Avoid subjecting your hair to excessive perming, ironing, or coloring.
- Have a regular hot oil treatment and apply hair conditioner every after shampoo.
- Stay away from the sun as much as possible.
- Eat a well-balanced diet and drink adequate amounts of water.
- Have yourself evaluated for hypothyroidism and hypoparathyroidism.
Hair Care Products
How to treat your dry hair?
If your hair manifests the symptoms above, then you definitely have dry hair. In order to reverse that condition, there are a few essential steps that you can do, such as:
· Go for a hot oil treatment. While you can do this treatment at home, having a professional do the treatment at a saloon can yield better results. In order to achieve complete recovery of your hair’s moisture, you may need to have a series of hot oil treatment depending on the degree of dryness your hair is in.
· Always use non-drying hair conditioner every time you shampoo your hair.
· Apply hair coat to protect your hair from the harsh environmental elements, such as sunlight, wind and smoke.
· Have your hair trimmed to remove split-ends which are quite an eyesore. Split-ends make your hair dull, lack-luster, and rough to touch. They also inhibit fast and healthy hair growth.
Your hair is your crowning glory. It plays a vital role in enhancing or damaging your overall appearance. So never take the condition of your hair for granted and do not attempt to downplay its influence on your looks.
Now that you know the causes and signs of hair dryness, you are more empowered to apply the preventive measures mentioned above. And even if your hair is already dry, there’s no need to fret, as you can simply have it treated properly. For best results, always seek the advice of hair care specialists and have your hair treated by one, especially if you’re not sure how to do a certain treatment properly.
How do you keep your hair healthy?See results without voting
More by this Author
The Typical ER Scenario A elderly man who had a stroke; a woman soon to be a mother; a child who had broken her leg; a car accident victim; a man who had been shot – these are just some of the common players...
In today’s world, acetaminophen is a remarkably popular over-the-counter drug. Most commonly known as paracetamol in many countries, this drug is classified as an analgesic (pain reliever) and an antipyretic...
Most people love to wear sandals because of its casual appeal. The comfort, functionality, and style offered by sandals are also distinct, that many individuals prefer to wear this type of footwear in many occasions....