Hay Fever Hebal Remedies
Every Spring and sometimes in the fall for some of us it is allergy time. And that is no fun. Hay fever is is an allergic reaction to pollen and mold. What causes some people to react in this manner and not others is not clear. What happens is when people who are allergic to pollen breath it in, their immune system recognizes it as a threat and antibodies against the pollen are produced. When the antibody locks on to the antigen a hormone called histamine is produced. It is this hormone that causes the watery eyes, the sneezing, itchy, runny, nose, congestion etc... There are some great Hay fever herbal remedies that can help us with this most unpleasant condition. Here I offer some of the most suitable natural allergy remedies for it. Follow the direction given and use them with caution and in consultation with your health professional and enjoy your Spring.
Anti Inflamatory and Anti Allergenic Herbs
- Nettles: An anti-allergenic nettle helps in combating the general symptoms of hay fever. it acts as an expectorant and reduces sinus inflammation.The easiest way to take it is in capsule form which you should find in health food stores. Take 3 to 6 capsules as needed. It can also be taken as tea. Make an infusion and drink 3 times a day.
- Eye bright: An anti inflammatory, eye bright is especially useful for irritated, burning, itching teary eyes you see in people with hay fever. It also helps with head colds, and sinusitis. Make an infusion and drink 3 times a day.
- Elder flower: An excellent anti-inflammatory treatment for hay fever. Treats all the symptoms such as toning the mucus lining of the nose and throat. It also has a calming effect on nerves and soothes headache. Make an infusion and take three times a day. To prevent hay fever from occurring. start taking this tea at least one month ahead of your allergy season.
Elder Flower/ European Black elder
A Combination of Herbs
- For a strongner allergy remedy, combine eye bright and elder flower and ephedra and add golden seal to the mix and make an infusion. Drink 3 times daily. To prevent hay fever from occurring starts taking the tea at least one month ahead of time. Golden seal is an anti inflammatory herb and ephedra reduces allergic reaction probably as vaso-dilator.
Caution: Ephedra contains ephedrine and it can cause high blood pressure and vaso-constriction, exactly like adrenaline. People with high blood pressure or heart problems should naturally be careful with this herb. Other than that it is safe to use as directed.
Other Herbal Allergy remedies
- Licorice Root: Reduces inflammation, and has anti-allergic properties. Licorice comes in a standardized form and as deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL). Each is used for specific purpose. Follow the direction on the label carefully.
CAUTIONS: Do not exceed 3 grams daily. Do not take for more than 6 weeks especially if suffering from heart disease or high blood pressure. Do not take if you have estrogen-sensitive disorders.
- St. John's Worth: St Johns worth capsules can be used for the headache caused by hay fever
- Garlic is also useful for allergic reactions.
You can sweeten all the above teas with honey or brown sugar.
How to Make an Infusion
To make an infusion put one teaspoon of the dried herb or three teaspoon of the fresh herb per cup of hot water in a tea pot preferably glass or porcelain and let it steep for 10 minutes. For medicinal purpose it is best to drink it hot but you can drink it cold too. This is the general direction of on how to make an infusion for any herb not just this one.
- 5 unusual herbs to remedy stress, allergies, diaper ...
Tincture of passion flower is used to relieve stress, and anxiety. It can calm you without making you sleepy. When combined with other sedative herbs, passion flower can relieve insomnia. The leaves, stems,...
- Natural Remedies for Allergies
My eyes are red and itchy. I have a runny nose and keep having sneezing fits. Yes, its that time of year again ... allergy season. Unfortunately, the downside of the weather finally turning warmer and...
- Herbal remedies for allergies
when you notice your eyes are itching, your nose is running, you're sneezing non stop, and you feel heaviness on the whole. You must immediately know the culprit, it is non other than the allergy...
More by this Author
Grilling fish and chicken on a panini grill is is an easy, quick and healthy way of cooking these foods. It takes about 4 to 10 minutes, doesn't need much oil or butter, excess fat is drained off, and the best part...
Most people do not think of rue as a culinary herb. In the west, it is used with great caution as a medicinal herb mostly. That is because it is considered poisonous and very bitter. But rue used to be used extensively...
Northern Ethiopia is home to the Amhara and Tigray ethnic groups. But within this two groups there are differences in manners of speech and culture according to regions. So even the seemingly homogeneous north is rich...