Health Benefits of Exercise
Benefits of Regular Exercise
Exercise (Physical activity) is any movement of the body that makes your body work at a greater intensity than your usual activities. In simple words any physical activity like walking, riding a bike, dancing, climbing stairs or gardening can be called an exercise. The main aim of exercise is to achieve physical fitness.
Exercise is good for every individual. Regardless of age, sex or physical ability, it can improve the individual’s life. For the great health benefits, experts recommend 20 to 30 minutes of aerobic activity three or more times a week and some type of muscle strengthening activity and stretching at least twice a week. However, if you are unable to do these activities, you can gain a good health benefits by indulging in 30 minutes or more of moderate-intensity physical activity a day, at least five times a week.
If you have been inactive for a while, you may start with less strenuous activities such as walking or swimming at a comfortable pace. Beginning at a slow pace will allow you to become physically fit without straining your body. Once you are comfortable with slow pace activities, you can gradually do more strenuous activity.
General Overview of the Benefits of Exercise:
- It increases the longevity.
- The risk of developing heart disease reduces.
- The risk of developing diabetes decreases.
- The chances of developing high blood pressure are low.
- Reduces blood pressure in people who already have high blood pressure.
- Reduce body weight.
- Helps to build and maintain strong bones, muscles, and joints.
Types of Exercises
There are mainly 2 types of exercises- Aerobic and Anaerobic. The vigorous type of exercise that increases the breathing rate is called aerobic exercise. These types of exercises can be continued for about half an hour without being exhausted. Swimming, cycling, jogging etc are some of the aerobic types of exercises. They are the cheapest and most practical type of exercises. Intense or explosive spurts of strenuous activities that leave you gasping for breath are called anaerobic exercises. It can be done for a minute or two at a time. Weight lifting and sprinting are examples for anaerobic exercises.
Exercises must be done to get maximum stress reduction benefits and hence should be used along with relaxation and nutrition.
Selecting the suitable exercise
An exercise that is suitable for one person may be too much or too little for another person. So to find a suitable level of exercise for your body start gently. Slowly increase the time and intensity of your exercise over time. If you go crazy you will have to suffer. As your body gets adapted to the level of exercise you have chosen you can go for a new one or increase its level. The best type of exercise combines stamina, strength and suppleness. In order to continue your exercise regularly, choose the type that you will enjoy the most. The exercise that suits you the most must be dependent on your time limits, choice and physical limitations.
Why Should We Exercise Regularly ?
Specific Health Benefits of Exercise
- Increased level of energy: The right combination of exercise and nutrition creates an increased energy level in the individual. Everyday activities become much easier.
- Improves Strength and Stamina: The individual becomes physically strong, which benefits his daily activities.
- Prevention of Heart Disease and Stroke: Daily exercise can help prevent heart disease and stroke by strengthening your heart muscle, lowering your blood pressure, raising your high-density lipoprotein (HDL) levels (good cholesterol) and lowering low-density lipoprotein (LDL) levels (bad cholesterol), improving blood flow, and increasing your heart's working capacity
- Reduces High Blood Pressure: Regular exercise can reduce blood pressure in those with high blood pressure levels.
- Prevents Non insulin-Dependent Diabetes: By reducing the fat in the body, exercise can help to prevent and control this type of diabetes.
- Prevents Obesity: When exercise is combined with proper nutrition, it can help control weight and prevent obesity, a major risk factor for many diseases.
- Prevents Back Pain: By increasing muscle strength and endurance and improving flexibility and posture, regular exercise helps to prevent back pain.
- Prevents Osteoporosis: Regular weight-bearing exercise promotes bone formation and may prevent many forms of bone loss associated with aging.
- Reduce the risk of breast cancer by up to 60%: Estrogen and progesterone, two ovarian hormones linked to breast cancer tumor production are lowered in the body by exercise.
Exercise and the Brain
Psychological Effects of Exercise
- Promotes psychological well-being.
- Regular exercise can improve your mood and the way you feel about yourself.
- Reduces Depression: The production of Endorphins (Feel good hormones) is increased through exercise.
- Decreased stress levels: The worries and stresses of everyday living can be reduced through exercise.
- Increased Self-Esteem: Gaining control of your body size and weight through exercise is an amazing way to increase self-esteem. You look better and are more confident which in turn empowers you in everything you do.
- Increases Mental Focus: Latest research shows that exercise helps keep the brain sharp. Focus and concentration of the individual improves. There is also much better chance of avoiding such diseases as Alzheimer's and senility
Why do you exercise?See results without voting
Why do you exercise regularly ?
Exercise gives better sleep:
Regular exercise can help you fall asleep faster and help you to have deep sleep. But if you exercise too close to bedtime, you may have difficulty falling asleep because of the high energy level. So, you might want to exercise earlier in the day.
Exercise can improve your sex life:
Regular exercise makes you energized and look better, which may have a positive effect on your sex life. Regular physical activity can enhance arousal for women, and men are less likely to have problems with erection.
Exercise can be fun too.
Taking a ballroom dancing class, local climbing wall, climbing on the jungle gym all are physical activities which can be enjoyed too. The entire family can take part in them. So, let us start reaping the benefits of exercise from today onwards.
So it’s very clear that exercise plays an important role in improving your health and can also prevent several life threatening conditions. The importance of exercise in making you look younger, fitter and thinner is also very great. So it’s very necessary that each person should select the type of exercise that suits him the best and stick on to it.
The different types of exercises and the health benefits of doing exercises is explained in the hub. Understanding the many benefits provided by exercises to a person’s life, it’s necessary that the one that suits the most should be selected by each person and stick on to it.
If you've found this article helpful remember to:
* Rate it up
* Share it with your friends and networks
* Leave a comment or question
More by this Author
There are many advantages of using baby walker. One is to be proud of giving a valuable gift to the babies and the baby will be happy inside it. So if we put the baby in walker then parents can do all the works without...
It cover the evolution of mobile communications from 1st generation to 5th generation .Now almost all the service providers as well as the customers seek for availing these 3G and 4G services.
Even professionals have had difficulty determining if a diamond is real or not. You can use a diamond tester to test the purity of diamonds