Health Benefits of Oxalis Corniculata - Puliyarila
What is Oxalis Corniculata?
Oxalis Corniculata is a small creeper usually grown in moist climate in gardens. The flowers are yellow in color and the fruits are cylindrical in shape. It is known by different names.
English -Indian Sorrel, Creeping Woodsorrel
Hindi - Amrul, Amrulsak, Anboti, Chalmori, Chukatripati, Cukatripat
Sanskrit - Chaangeri, Amlapatrikaa, Amlikaa, Chukraa, Chukrikaa, Chhatraamlikaa
Malayalam - Puliyarila
Kannada -Pullamouradi, Sivargee, Purachi Soppu
Tamil - Puliyarai
Telugu - Pulichinta
Bengali - Amrul
Indian Sorrel (Puliyarila) has antifungal, antimicrobial, wound healing, cold, refrigerant, antiscorbutic, appetizing and astringent properties.
Top 10 Medicinal Uses of Oxalis Corniculata (Puliyarila) - Indian Sorrel
- Helps in indigestion and diarrhoea in children, by boiling the leave juice in butter milk and drink.
- Helps in Chronic dysentery, by consuming the juice of the leaves mixed with honey.
- Useful in treating jaundice, by taking buttermilk mixed with 2 tsp. of the juice of this herb, twice a day.
- Useful in treating wrinkles and warts by applying the paste of Puliyarila juice mixed with sandal powder.
- Useful in treating gum problems by gargling the juice mixed with alum.
- Helpful in treating bleeding piles by taking its juice twice a day, and also for prolapse rectum.
- For headache, applying the paste of this leaves relieves the pain.
- Helpful in treating overbleeding in women by consuming the juice mixed with honey.
- Helps in healing insomnia and induces sleep, by taking the juice of the leaves mixed with castor oil.
- The leaves of puliyarila are good source of Calcium, vitamin C, and carotene.
Sources for Oxalic Corniculata (Indian Sorrel) - Indian medicinal herb
- Medicinal use of Indian Sorrel Changeri
Indian sorrel herb leaves has many medicinal properties. There are many remedies of this herb in ayurveda to treat various health conditions.
- Puliyarai - Herbal Remedy for Bloody Diarrhoea - Siddham.in
Puliyarai or Oxalis corniculata - Herbal Remedy for Bloody Diarrhoea, The decoction prepared by samoolam is a good medicine for fever.
As the Indian sorrel (Oxalic Corniculata) contains high concentration of oxalic acid, persons suffering from gout, rheumatism and calculi or stone in the urinary tract should avoid the use of this herb.
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies.
Have you used Indian sorrel at any time?See results without voting
The leaves of Oxalis corniculata exhibit rich in mineral contents like
Nitrogen (3.5610.70%) and
More by this Author
Oregano plant is a medicinal plant with several wonderful health properties.
Find out the various medicinal uses of Shankhpushpi- . Clitoria ternatea
Thinking of adding flax seed to your diet? Find out about the various health benefits of flax seeds, and information about how to use them.