Health Benefits of Pork Liver
The health benefits of pork liver mostly come from its Vitamin A and iron contents. These elements help us with our eye health, energy levels and cell development. This pork organ is tasty and very easy to cook. Eating pork liver once in a while is actually good for us. Read the good and the bad about this food in this article. Know about the health benefits of pork liver here.
The health benefits of pork liver includes other vitamins and minerals, including proteins and lipids. While pork liver may be a promising organ from hogs, eating pork liver regularly is not advisable. It contains high levels of cholesterol and is hardly a good source of fiber. If you're looking for a good source of iron and Vitamin A other than from fruits and vegetables, pork liver is a very good alternative. However, avoid eating them too often.
Main sources of the health benefits of pork liver:
- Vitamin A. This vitamin is vital in promoting eye health, cell growth and in strengthening our immune system.
- Iron. This mineral helps us with keeping our energy levels high. It delivers oxygen to our lungs and to other major organs. Iron deficiency may result to low energy levels, anemia and headaches to mention a few.
- Protein. It promotes bone health and cell growth.
- Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin). Promotes a healthy nervous system and brain functions.
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin). It supports eye health, cell development and over-all health.
Other sources of the health benefits of pork liver:
- vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid)
- vitamin C
- vitamin B9 (folate)
- vitamin B6
- vitamin B1 (thiamine)
Pork Liver Recipes
Cautions to the health benefits of pork liver:
The negative health benefits of pork liver however is its high cholesterol content. Make sure you watch the portions you're eating when you cook pork liver steak or fried pork liver.
Having them once a week is fine to enjoy the health benefits of pork liver. However, unless you are anemic or deficient of iron and vitamin A, it is advisable not to eat too much pork liver. While the health benefits of pork liver is notable, we still need to be cautious of eating this delectable pork organ because of its cholesterol content. More so, pregnant women are advised not to eat much of this food because the rich content of Vitamin A may cause complications to the development of the fetus and to the entire pregnancy.
More by this Author
What are the types of red meats? How can we enjoy eating more of them?
Know the health benefits of munggo beans here.
Have you heard of the delicious amaranth leaves? Know their health benefits here.