Health-Conscious Series #12 - The Benefits of Sambong
Medical Garden @ Don Galo featuring SAMBONG c/o Ireno Alcala
I've been drinking Sambong juice for a month now. It's the challenge given by my friend-landlady, as we tried this diuretic drink to cleanse our body from toxins.
I remember when I was still an elementary student, my mother used to boil the leaves of 'lakad-bulan', Bicol term of sambong and drink eat before eating breakfast. She also encouraged us to do the same.
Little did I knew that it was really a good health-routine that I should adhere until my age these days as a 40-something hubber.
Mother knows best, as everybody agree. And she is right from the start about the benefits of sambong.
It reminded me that:
- a pureed sambong leaves will cleanse my intestines from toxins that I acquired from fatty dishes;
- it will still remove unnecessary worms inside my small intestines;
- it will help eradicate kidney stones, if ever I have it due to eating fast food orders;
- it also acts as the herbal astringent of my mother, including my grandmother, too!
Students learn the health benefits of Sambong.
Students at primary level are encouraged by teachers to learn the benefits and applications of endemic Philippine medicinal plants.
Sambong (Blumea balsamifera Linn) is one of the group. Medicinal plots or garden are maintained at the vacant lots at the back of the school as directed by the Department of Education (DepEd).
Students are able to learn that:
- The diluted or boiled leaves can lessen fever and headache.
- Its aromatic leaves can be used as poultice for wounds.
- Sambong leaves is used as an aromatic flavoring ingredient.
- It can also be used as unique potpourri at home. Just air dry the leaves and collect it inside a special cloth then add to the centerpiece at the living room.
- It can lower bad cholesterol as told by the teachers.
- Parents who are in danger of having to undergo dialysis treatment due to kidney problem, are urged to drink a concoction of sambong to delay or avoid having to experience such procedure.
- It can also act as expectorant as you can apply it or inhale its aroma if you have sinusitis. Do it if the concoction is still hot.
- It can aid in easy bowel movement as it also cleanses the intestines from harmful bacteria.
- It is an anti-cancer herbal wonder!
- Its leaves can be chewed raw, if a toothache occurs.
These ten most-identified benefits of sambong are also being recommended by Filipino doctors as other parts of Asian region are also using it, especially in China, Vietnam and Thailand.
The propagation of sambong is very easy, as it can grow at any elevated soil of any kind.
It is also commercially available at any drug store. You can inquire for a supplement having the sambong content.
More on Health-Conscious Series
- Health-Conscious Series # 5: Why we should take a ba...
Don't give any reason that will make harmful bacteria stay on your skin or in your body. Take a bath daily or stay clean. Personal hygiene reflects your attitude everyday, whenever you're home or at work.
- Health-Conscious Series # 10 - How to Detox and Body...
How to live longer? Free your body from toxins through detox and body cleanse. Detoxification and Body Cleansing will be simplified as you follow the process on this hub. It's cheap to be healthy. I'll prove to you that it's true!
- Health-Conscious Series # 9: The Natural Way Of Stay...
I'm including this hub to my Health_Conscious Series. I've met my former colleagues on board ship and they relayed that most of them failed from medical examination given by the official outpatient clinic of the manning company. This alarmed me and r
More by this Author
Molluscum contagiosum, those painless warts on your face...it affects your personality if it is already visible. Immediately seek for a medication in order to get rid of it.
It is a must to eat sardines or include it in your meals each day. This hub spills out the healthy factors that highlight sardines as one of the most nutritious food in the world.
Ever heard of sweet rice cake? Perhaps not, when you're still not living here in the Philippines. Let me teach you on how to make this Filipino delicacy. Get ready with your sweet tooth.