Health-Conscious Series # 7 - Drink lots of milk in order to combat Osteoarthritis
Hearing the 'bone-crack'
It's like a creaking window inside my body. I experienced a soaring pain on my lower back last Monday (April 09, 2012) as I am leaning forward while cleaning the yard of our boarding house from dried leaves.
Ouch! I momentarily stopped. As if in slow motion, I held my breath and moved back in a stuttering walk.
This is not an ordinary back pain, the one I experienced before while carrying a cavan (50 kilograms) of rice and similar stuff on board ship or while at home after a day's harvest at the rice farm.
It's a pain that almost pricked me with a very large needle that made me stooped down on my knees, throwing away the coconut broom.
Holding my breath, I slowly went inside the house. I was glad other occupants of the house didn't came back yet from our province (in Bicol, Philippines).
I am not old yet. I'm at the prime of my life at forty. Experiencing this kind of pain led me to a lot of speculations.
- What did I done wrong to my neighbors? Perhaps, I did petty mistakes. Who hasn't?
- Is this already the symptom of osteo-arthritis or dislocated spinal column?
Either of these two, I related the incident to the wife of my cousin at the other house. She said, maybe, I affected an invisible entity. Superstitions still abound in this country. I didn't believed her.
I reviewed my activities during that day or my last months in Manila.
- I've been occasionally drinking beer and liquor with alcohol content from 5 percent up to 40 per cent. Alcohol content is one-half of the proof printed on the liquor's cover (pasted on the bottle). It did bring an effect of dehydration and bone-mass reduction, since I prohibits my body to absorb the nutrients needed to stay fit and healthy.
- I was not drinking milk on a regular basis because of being a lactose-intolerant. With a little sip of fresh milk, my next move is to got to the john in order to empty my tummy.
- My comfort drink nowadays is coffee-three in one. Meaning, the sachet I usually buy contains coffee granules, with sugar and cream, already. My cousin cautioned me that too much of it will lead to erratic heartbeat or even hypertension. I opposed his alert by mentioning the campaign of coffee industry that it has lots of antioxidants.
Surely, item two - of not having enough milk (as source of calcium and protein) in my diet led to to such freak incident - that bone-cracking episode in my life.
That is my gut-feel.
I haven't visited the nearest clinic of an orthopedic doctor. I need a personal research to know if my personal assessment is right.
Osteoarthritis Treatment c/o ironwork285
Osteoarthritis and other back pains
My aunt also suffered from osteoarthritis. She said, she's not fond of drinking milk and at young age, she already had this 'pain-in-the-ass' malady.
It is also called osteoporosis, whereas, most married women experienced this due to the effects of post-pregnancy ordeal, as in lactating their babies, thereby losing much of their bodily nutrients if not supported by supplements (like high--calcium enriched milk).
- I will deduce what I experienced as lumbar muscle strain or just a sprain in my back muscles.
- Maybe it's a slip disc, but it's not similar with what my 2nd engineer experienced way back 2002 that resulted in a spinal cord operation.
- I'm not aging yet, (I'm still young, please agree with me), so, I will not agree with a spinal stenosis as my probable prognosis.
- How about lumbar spine arthritis that can also be felt around my fingers? No, I haven't experienced the latter.
- Spondylolisthesis is a severe finding as it is considered a degenerative back pain as it causes unstable movement or a person experiencing this. I'm afraid, I've been experiencing this, right now!
I don't want to be afraid. I am always on the positive side of any problem. I'm still active doing my chores, although I will stop momentarily to catch my breath and fight an abrupt pain episodes on my lower back.
Remedies will include herbal first aide. I was advised by an elder friend that I heat tuba-tuba leaves and apply it directly on my aching back or apply a liniment to ease the pain and ask the help of a reflexologist, first.
Options, if others experienced this may lead to:
- Non-surgical treatment, like what I've mentioned above plus rest from my usual routine everyday.
- Surgical treatment or spine surgery can be crucial and sometimes fatal.
- Alternative treatments, may also suggests herbal medicine or even acupuncture in this side of the world (Asia mostly), if pain doesn't heal in a jiffy.
PS: I will never forget milk and its products (cheeses, etc.) as inclusion on my diet.
More on being Health-Conscious
- Health-Conscious Series #1: Vegan Diet - Why should ...
Most of my nephews and nieces don't want to eat vegetables. Most children do. I used to remember my mother encouraging me to eat vegetables during my childhood. She won, because I want vegetables in every meal that she prepared for us during our grow
- Health-Conscious Series #2 - Soya as an alternative ...
Soya is the best contribution of Asian industry to the world. For those who cling to be vegetarian, soya beans and its products substitute our protein needs from meat products.
- Health-Conscious Series #3 - 20 Ways to Exercise our...
There are questions that should be taken into consideration on how to nourish, stimulate and use our brain in a regular basis. a) Do you sleep 7-8 hours at night? b) Do you smoke or drink excessively? c) Do you eat a balance diet everyday? d) Do...
More by this Author
It is a must to eat sardines or include it in your meals each day. This hub spills out the healthy factors that highlight sardines as one of the most nutritious food in the world.
Molluscum contagiosum, those painless warts on your face...it affects your personality if it is already visible. Immediately seek for a medication in order to get rid of it.
Some of early users of this coffee-saving tip gained an ample reduction in their electrical consumption. This is good news to the skyrocketing prices of electricity in the Philippines.