Get A Healthy Heart With The High Blood Pressure Diet
Although heart disease is a major illness in the 21st century it can be prevented and even reversed by following a healthy diet and taking exercise. We show you through this hub how you can extend your life, lower high blood pressure and have a healthy heart through a positive change in lifestyle.
Statistics on coronary heart disease is depressing reading as it shows that it is the leading cause of death in America for men and women, and high blood pressure is one of many risk factors that increases your risk of coronary artery disease and heart failure.
A Healthy Diet Has A Dramatic Effect On Lowering High Blood Pressure
You can do something to prevent high blood pressure and heart disease by consuming a diet rich in potassium, magnesium and fiber, and low in sodium.
There have been several studies on what increases blood pressure, and it has been found that a diet with a high sodium (salt) content significantly increased it. Studies also showed that blood pressure control was better in those who consumed less sodium even if they were taking blood pressure medications.
How Does A High Blood Pressure Diet Help The Heart?
A high blood pressure diet is a balanced diet of protein (poultry, fish, lean meat, dairy products and vegetarian alternatives), carbohydrates (starchy foods such as bread, potatoes, rich and pasta), vegetables, fruit and unsaturated fat. On this diet you should avoid consuming saturated fat, salt and sugar.
This type of diet can reduce your risk of heart disease by:
- lowering blood pressure, one of the risk factors for heart disease
- increasing good HDL cholesterol that takes fat away from the arteries
- reducing levels of bad LDL cholesterol, which can form fatty deposits in the arteries and contribute to heart disease
- preventing blood clots which can cause a heart attack or stroke
- maintaining body weight within the healthy range.
The High Blood Pressure Diet
- 6fl oz of semi-skimmed milk to use in cereals and drinks
- 6 glasses of water
- 30g Flaxseed
Drinks: The best drink to consume is water, but you can drink unlimited calorie free drinks, herbal, lemon or green or black teas (without sugar).
Consume potassium rich foods - Which include fruits, such as bananas, cantaloupe, watermelon, oranges, orange juice, and vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, spinach, and zucchini.
Flaxseed: Add milled flaxseed to your meals such as cereals, soups and gravy, or sprinkle over a lovely green salad.
Flaxseed contains 52% Omega 3 which contributes to helping maintain a healthy heart.
Type of Cooking: Bake, Grill or Steam food instead of frying
Virgin Olive Oil: Use virgin olive oil for dressings and stir frys
Garlic: Is not only a seasoning used in cooking but is a herb rich in antioxidants, which helps to destroy free radicals and lower high blood pressure.pressure. Various studies have shown that it reduces stystolic and diastolic blood pressure as well as high cholesterol levels.
Recommended dosage for adults is 500mg - 1000mg standardized freeze dried garlic tablets. You can also use fresh minced garlic daily in your cooking.
Precaution: Garlic contains blood-thinning properties; therefore if you are going to have surgery or deliver a baby, it is important that you do not consume too much garlic two weeks before an operation as there is an increased risk of bleeding during and post operations.
Reduce your use of salt - Experiment with cooking without salt and flavor meals with fresh and dried herbs, coarse ground pepper, onions, garlic, and sweet red peppers.
Limit alcohol consumption - It has been found that drinking excessive alcohol raises blood pressure, therefore those of you with high blood presure should limit your alcohol consumption to no more than once per day, which is equivalent to two ounces of 100-proof whiskey, one eight-ounce glass of wine, or two 12-ounce cans of beer.
Golden Flax contains 8 grams of protein per 1/2 cup serving, along with plenty of fiber and EFAs making it far superior to Bran Flakes or any other “whole grain” cereal.
High Blood Pressure Diet Menu
Choose one meal from the breakfast list:.
- 4fl oz orange juice, 1oz oatmeal, 6fl oz semi-skimmed milk, 1 slice whole-wheat toast, 1tsp low sodium margarine and 1 medium banana
- 1 orange, 2 slices high fiber toast, 2 teaspoons marmalade, 1oz Bran Flakes, 4fl oz semi-skimmed milk
- 4fl oz orange juice, 1oz rolled oats , 6fl oz semi-skimmed, 1 slice wholegrain toast, 1tsp low sodium margerine
- 1 boiled egg, grilled tomatoes and mushrooms, 225g small can reduced salt and sugar baked beans, 1 slice wholegrain toast
- Grilled/Baked 2 back bacon rashers, tomatoes, mushrooms, 1 boiled/poached egg, 1 small can reduced salt and sugar baked beans 225g, 4fl oz orange juice
- 1 small pot low fat greek yogurt, 1 medium banana, 2oz blueberries, 1tbsp chopped nuts, orange juice 6fl oz, (slice banana into the yogurt, add blueberries and top with chopped nuts)
NB: Grill or bake foods instead of frying
You can use other fruits such as raspberries, strawberries,or blackberries in your yogurt
Choose one meal from the lunch list:
- 2 slices wholemeal bread, 2 tsps low sodiium margerine, and one of the sandwich fillings listed below, 1 apple, 1 low fat fruit yogurt
- 1 grilled chicken breast (skin removed), 1 4oz pot of low calorie coleslaw, green crisp salad, 1 2oz wholemeal roll
- 4oz cooked wholemeal pasta with low sodium marinara sauce or bolognese sauce, a crisp green salad, 1 orange
- 50g/2oz smoked gammon and sliced cucumber
- 100g can tuna in brine, drained
- 1 hard-boiled egg and 1 teaspoon low calorie mayonnaise
- 50g/2oz prawns 1 teaspoon low calorie mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon reduced salt and sugar tomato ketchup
- 25g/1oz half fat cheddar cheese with 2 teaspoons pickle
- 3 teaspoons peanut butter + 1/2 a sliced banana
- 1 mashed medium banana and 1 teaspoon jam
- 2 grilled rashers back bacon and sliced tomatoes
- 2oz grilled mackerel, 1 tsp low sodium margerine
- 2oz lean ham with 1 teaspoon pickle (fill with shredded crisp lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes)
- 3oz chicken breast (skin removed), 1 tsp cranberry sauce, (fill with shredded crisp lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes)
Crisp Green Salad
- Shred a cos lettuce
- Add sliced or chopped cucumber and tomatoes
- 2 tbsps sweet corn kernels (optional)
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1tsp olive oil
- Sprinkle of coarse black pepper
- Toss all ingredients together and serve individually or add to sandwiches
NB: As an alternative you can use a wholegrain pitta bread, a wholegrain muffin, or bap instead of sliced bread.
Choose one meal from the dinner list:
- 225g/8oz fillet of white fish, baked or poached, with 150g/5oz new potatoes, 1/4 pint white sauce made from a packet with skimmed milk, medley of vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower and green beans), 1tsp tartare sauce
- 175g/6oz cooked chicken or turkey breast (skin removed), 4oz cooked rice, unlimited steamed vegetables
- 1 baked 6oz potato, 4oz reduced salt and sugar baked beans, 1oz grated cheese, crisp green salad
- 4oz cooked spaghetti, 2oz lean mince meat cooked in bolognese sauce, crisp green salad
- 1 grilled pork chop, 4oz 5% fat oven chips, with either 225g reduced sugar and salt baked beans or 2oz garden peas
- 4oz cubed stewing beef, 4oz boiled new potatoes, steamed cabbage
NB: Use herbs and spices when seasoning meat. It makes the meal more palatable and enjoyable.
An Important Report On High Blood Pressure
- Beware - High Blood Pressure Is A Silent Killer
It is accepted that high blood pressure is not good for you, but the majority of us don't really recognise the symptoms and consequences of this silent killer until its too late. Learn what you should be aware of to prevent a heart attack.
More by this Author
Hemorrhoids are swollen veins in the lower portion of the anus which can cause excrutiating pain. Here we discuss the causes, symptoms and treatment of hemorrhoids. You can also discover the hemorrhoid treatment that...
- 12Improve Anemia & Iron Deficiency Levels With Iron Rich Foods & Beetroot Juice & Get Your Energy Back
Anemia is a common blood disorder which may be caused by an iron deficiency. Consuming iron rich foods and Beetroot juices can act as a cure to anemia through its ability to regenerate and reactivate red blood cells....
Find out how you can make money and earn $150 for only working 2 hours a day. You do not need any experience or money to invest in order to make money from the job prospect set out in this hub.