Make Your Own Healthy Non-Toxic Sunscreen
How Often Should I Use Sunscreen
Most people only use sunscreen when they are planning a day at the beach. The truth is, we should probably use sunscreen on the exposed parts of our body, whenever we go outside for more than a short time.
According to the National Cancer Institute, over the past 35 years the rate of new melanoma cases among American adults has tripled.
The problem is, most of the sunscreens on the market, contain harmful ingredients that can cause other health issues. So which is worse, the damage to our skin, or the damage from the sunscreen? We shouldn't have to choose.
Check Your Sunscreens Rating Here
Toxic Chemicals in Most Sunscreens
Most sunscreens contain chemical filters which include two or more of the following chemical ingredients. According to the EWG (environmental working group) these are the concerns with these chemical ingredients:
- oxybenzone - hormone disruptor, alters sperm production, linked to endometriosis & skin allergies
- octinoxate (octylmethoxycinnamate) - hormone disruptor, behavioral alterations in animal studies, thyroid, moderate skin allergen
- homosalate - hormone disruptor,
- octocrylene - high rate of skin allergies
- avobenzone - high rate of skin allergies
Good Source of Non Nano Zinc Oxide
Non Nano Zinc Oxide
Zinc oxide is the most effective ingredient in home made sunscreen. It is a powdered mineral that sits on top of your skin and absorbs the UVA & UVB sun rays.
Non nano zinc oxide particles are too large to penetrate the skin. You have probably seen people wearing sunblock that contains non nano zinc oxide which remains white after applying.
Nano or micronized zinc oxide has been processed into an unltrafine powder that can penetrate the skin. The problem is, it can cause potential health issues.
When making a homemade sunscreen, be sure to choose non nano zinc oxide.
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Make Your Own Sunscreen
You can make your own sunscreen with all natural, non toxic ingredients. Here is a basic recipe. This recipe has an SPF of 20. The more zinc oxide you add, the higher the SPF rating will be.
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil - SPF 10
- 1/4 cup jojoba, sesame or avocado oil - SPF 4-10
- 3/4 tsp. carrot seed oil - SPF 30
- 1/4 cup shea butter - SPF 6-10
- 1/8 cup beeswax - (makes your sunscreen waterproof)
- 2 tbsp. zinc oxide (be sure to use non nano zinc oxide & a mask to avoid inhalation) SPF 20+
- 1 tsp. red raspberry seed oil (100% pure/natural virgin, cold pressed) SPF 30
- 2 drops of lavender or peppermint essential oil for fragrance (do not use citrus oils) they are phototoxic and make your skin more sensitive to the sun and can cause a burn.
- Mason Jar (optional)
- double boiler
- smaller glass jars for storage
Combine coconut oil with jojoba or sesame oil, shea butter and beeswax, in a double boiler, over medium heat.
If you don't have a double boiler, you can just put them all directly into a mason jar and place the jar into a pan of water on the stove. Bring the water to a boil. Stir frequently till all ingredients are melted.
If using a double boiler, don't let it get too hot, heat on medium till all ingredients are melted. Let cool slightly.
Using a face mask, add non nano zinc oxide, red raspberry oil, carrot seed oil & lavender or peppermint essential oil (optional) Mix well and pour into smaller jars. Let cool.
Should keep for about 4-5 months. Keep in the refrigerator when not in use, it lasts longer.
Healthy Non-Toxic Sunscreens
If you don't want to make your own sunscreen, there are alternative sunscreens you can purchase, that have very good reviews. I have listed some of the best organic sunscreens that do not contain harmful chemicals.
Babo Botanicals Sunscreen SPF 30
All Natural, Top rated, safest sun screen, without harmful chemicals. Clear Zinc, the most effective safest sunscreen ingredient goes on clear with no white residue.
Hypo-Allergenic, won't clog pores. Contains certified organic carrier oils like avocado, coconut and jojoba.
Shea butter and beeswax help to prevent chapped skin and lips.
Alba Botanica Sunscreen
Botanically moisturizing mineral sunscreen provides broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection
Lightweight, water resistant SPF 30 lotion has Sunflower Seed Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil and Aloe Vera
Plant oils moisturize skin while Grape Seed Oil and Vitamin E provide antioxidant protection
100% vegetarian and no animal testing
All natural with no parabens, phthalates, sulfates or artificial colors
3.5 Star Rating
All Terrain TerraSport SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen
All Terrain is an environmentally-friendly and certified cruelty-free company. They use natural, biodegradable ingredients.
SPF 30, broad spectrum, UVA & UVB protection. Safe for people with sensitive skin. Water and sweat resistant, proven to last up to 80 minutes in water
- Active ingredient 16-Percent Zinc Oxide
- Non-Nano, transparent and non-whitening
- non-greasy & does not sting eyes
Essential Oil Relief For Sunburn
I hope you find a sunscreen that works for you and keeps your skin safe without causing other health issues.
If you do happen to forget your sunscreen and develop a sunburn, here is a recipe for Sunburn Relief:
- 1 cup Aloe Vera Juice
- 1/4 cup Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vitamin E
- 10 drops Lavender essential oil
- 8 drops Melaleuca essential oil
- 8 drops Roman Chamomile essential oil
Combine all ingredients in a spray bottle and shake well before each use.
More by this Author
Essential Oils that help grow hair, natural cures for dandruff, dry scalp, unclog and clean hair follicles, moisturize,
Best natural cure for Eczema, Melaleuca and Lavender Essential Oils. Helps with acne, psoriasis and many other skin conditions.
Do you find dimes in random places on a regular basis? Does it feel like someone is leaving dimes for you to find? You're not alone. This happens to many people. It could be a sign from beyond.